From Focus to Power. Possible change?

85 Night Elf Hunter
In stead of giving hunters energy and calling it focus, why not do something like this?:

Every time we use an ability we build power on our power bar. When we use a cast time ability, the damage is increased by the amount of power we've gained.

This will allow blizzard to change our damage dealing ability's cost, CD, and damage while not worrying about a "resource dump" like arcane shot is used for.

Thus, changing hunters attacks back to what they were like with mana.

Also, this allows blizzard to play with cast-time abilities like Steady shot, Cobra shot, Aimed shot, and any new casting abilities they might like to add. It seems that this type of mechanic would be easier to balance around PvP and PvE without the conflict between abilities with a CD and those w/o.

This would let blizzard build in a hunter nuke that must be "charged" via the building of power.

It's a rough idea, but i think i've set my point across in a way that is easily understood.
Reply Quote
Rampup time is not something you want as a hunter.

They already have two classes that have combo points, now, (3 counting feral) and many other specs have ramp-up mechanics. The hunter resource that they expect you to 'spend' is standing still. If you're willing to stand still, you get more damage built up via steady shot.

As annoying as this may, that is the way it works now, and it's likely to stay given that it's somewhat unique. If you have hunter ideas, you should think of them in terms of that design model.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
wait, I'm sorry but i really didn't follow what you meant.

as for 'rampup' as you put it; It would be fine for a hunter. The whole idea of this...idea... is to change their design model. It's obviously not working well. (Have you seen the feedback on the hunter forums?)

Blizzard doesn't even respond to the massive hunter players who are pointing out so many problems. Reason? Overwhelming issues that are hard to fix. I'm offering ideas that might evolve in their heads--into a new idea.

I don't expect it, however, maybe it will help them to think of different angles of how to deal with the hunter issues.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It sounds like you want a resource system that would work like if DKs didn't have to worry about Runes but still had Runic Power for a few "specials".
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
It sounds like you want a resource system that would work like if DKs didn't have to worry about Runes but still had Runic Power for a few "specials".

eh, i should really put emphasis on the "Rough idea" part.

The thought i had was "Each point of power increases the damage of your next cast-timed ability by 1% per point up to a maximum of 100%" type of thing

So you shoot shoot shoot, then *Pulls back into a nuke casted shot*

It would be more similar to a shadow priests mastery with orbs. only instead of 1 orb, 2 orb, 3 orb- NUKE!, it would be increase power----- nukes. something like that.

The main problem is that i don't know how this idea would fair in our "Resource management" area since all we have to do is wait until max power and steady shot or something.

Like i said, rough idea for a different direction instead of focus.
Reply Quote
Yes lets overhaul the resource system again. Good idea.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
12/19/2010 10:43 AMPosted by Chillbill
Yes lets overhaul the resource system again. Good idea.

It can't get any worse...not that it'll happen in the first place. Just look at the feedback from beta and blind ignorance from devs throughout. None of them even had the balls to bring a single hunter to any of the PVP events.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Nothing is wrong with focus. Other things with hunters in general, sure, but not focus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]