mdps not fairing well in pve

85 Human Paladin
I've noticed that ranged dps has it ALOT easier in nearly all the new pve fights, to the extent that its even hard to pull comparable mdps, ever. for example in lost city, the first boss your dps drops down to half because the boss has to be kited around constantly, rdps doesnt get affected at all, save having to not get los'd by the pillar, 2nd fight is fairly equal, except mdps gets hit by the disorienting fire, ranged doesnt. 3rd fight boss isnt kited as much, but still kited b/c of the phoenix, then the dark phoenix is kited all over, ranged doesnt get affected unless they have to move out of sunbeam.. then last boss melee have to run around the room to kill adds while ranged just have to tab target.... i dont mind ret dps tbh, but i wish there were either more fights that i could actually perform to my full potential or a way to actually keep my dps somewhat reasonable while trying to avoid bombs, wind, adds, etc. my one dot is laughable and Wings->inquis->HoW/Exo spam usually leads to me pulling aggro even with HoS popped... Ive stopped even playing my favorite spec because im more of a hindrance than a help to the group.. and im sure its similar with most other mdps as well, since the most successful groups ive been in are the ones with an over-abundance of rdps.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
holy text wall, batman. format that a bit better, wouldja?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
tl;dr: nerf ranged
Reply Quote
13 Undead Mage
I heard melee have instant attacks that you can use while moving.
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Rogue
Considering how melee friendly most of wrath was, it might just be melee's turn to deal with having to watch out for more things.
Edited by Cloakofskill on 12/19/2010 4:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
@ OP

On the other hand, Melee dps seems to be putting up a lot better numbers than Ranged in any heroic I've been in. You know what has beat me in DPS? ( discounting Mages that ArcBlast spam to oom 20 seconds into the fight ) Warriors. Enh Shamans are usually right on my ass, but I'll admit that I don't random often.

The only ranged class that seems to be doing well atm is Hunters. On paper this is balanced. I haven't been in any raids yet so I can only speak for what I've seen in Heroics.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ranged had it so easy in Wrath, I don't know what you guys are talking about. At least in my raids. Our guild made living life as a caster in our raids as cater free as possible. Sitting on the boss the whole time on LDW while the melee run around the room, and then tell us we're bad when we don't get to sit on the boss.

The only two fights I can honestly think of that weren't ranged friendly were Sindragosa and somewhat Saurfang, however Ranged still did quite well on Saurfang. Ulduar was like sup casters, we heard you like to @#!! melee, so we going to let chu do dat aite?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Did you play duringa vanilla? How about TBC? Judging from your achievements, it doesn't look like you did.

Arrogant a**hole right here. If you xferred servers right before wrath, it removed a lot of character history. I raided Black Temple in BC but I have none of the achievements because I transferred my raiding main right before the xpac came out.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Oh I have nothing to contribute to the actual discussion. I just can't stand people who click on a profile and troll. Who cares whether or not he raided in BC or vanilla? If he's wrong just say he's wrong, don't be an ad hominem troll.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
*Bosses that I can think of that catered toward Melee*
Thaddius
Hodir
Thorim
Auriaya
Sindragosa
General Vezax ( from what I've heard )
and Saurfang ( really the only one that was a big giveaway, and Paladins / Warriors / Frost DKs and I think Ferals still weren't able to go balls to the wall 100% of the time due to Blood Beasts )

EVERY SINGLE OTHER BOSS in Wrath either split it evenly between the two or gave ranged an advantage. I didn't play in Vanilla and stopped playing BC at 67 ( learned that I was going to be forced to Heal in raids as a Pally ) so I can't offer my 2c on that one.

There was 51 bosses total in Wrath. ( If you include OS, VoA and Algalon )
Edited by Volke on 12/19/2010 6:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Melee are doing less damage than ranged because of mobs that need to be kited? Princess, there's no fight mechanic that favors melee MORE than simple kiting, because eventually it goes out of range and ranged DPS have to stop casting. Melee don't have to stop attacking to move.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I'm enhancement and my DPS usually outperforms everyone. Had a hunter and a mage in that instance today actually and pulled ~2k higher than the others. Maybe it's a ret problem or maybe it's just shamans that can but it is certainly not all melee DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/19/2010 7:31 PMPosted by Sherufanir
I'm enhancement and my DPS usually outperforms everyone. Had a hunter and a mage in that instance today actually and pulled ~2k higher than the others. Maybe it's a ret problem or maybe it's just shamans that can but it is certainly not all melee DPS.

Yeah, i've got no issues topping the charts. Probably just a ret problem
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Oh I have nothing to contribute to the actual discussion. I just can't stand people who click on a profile and troll. Who cares whether or not he raided in BC or vanilla? If he's wrong just say he's wrong, don't be an ad hominem troll.

/facepalm. There is a very very VERY large difference between trolling and using someones visible experience to attempt to gauge if they know what they're talking about.

"You've got no tbc or vanilla experience, your point is moot and you're inexperienced and naive" would have been far closer to trolling, and not far off base. But instead I took the time to actually explain why I asked in addition to stating its validity. In the off chance that you yourself and not actually trolling, I suggest you seriously removing your head from your rectum and realize that there is a sizeable difference between trolling and legit arguements / debates.

Ever hear of alts? Maybe that level 80 is not his main, just maybe. People like you are why others post on random forum alts. They cant make any argument without fear of someone armory trolling instead of making an actual argument.

Even if he didnt raid in bc or vanilla, that has nothing to do with anything. He stated that wrath was melee friendly, which it was.

Also everywhere I look it seems like melee are doing quite well in PvE. So saying that theyre not fairing well is just plain inaccurate.
Edited by Paulise on 12/19/2010 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]