Healers are scapegoats

100 Gnome Priest
I return to this game 1 month ago after having quit for a year, prior to that I had raided with my resto druid but decided to switch to my priest . I signed up again mostly just to see cataclysm with a hope of simply doing 5 man dungeons and pvp, leveling up from 80 to 85 by healing dungeons. I decided to stay guildless to remain casual.

I have a number of heroic 5 man dungeons under my belt now, all via PUGs. It is unfortunate however that I've lost my desire to keep playing. Put it simply, the warcraft player base is not exactly the most mature and the state things are at the moment, healers are simple scapegoats for anything and everything that can go wrong. Once upon a time, I had mana to heal groups through their stupidity but with things as they are at the moment, I don't, which makes doing PUG heroics now more stressful than what they are worth. Healers are simply no longer appreciated, its bad enough that you have to burn what precious mana you have to heal the tank and dps through damage they can easily avoid, run out of mana and have the group blaming and voting to kick you out when there is a wipe due to you not having any mana left to keep them alive.

Last night was the last straw for me, I have now cancelled my ongoing subscription for this game. I was in a PUG group doing a Heroic Lost City. The tank and dps were all guilded in same guild. We wiped twice on General Husam, the first due to poor positioning of the boss by the tank around the mines, 2nd time the dps kept dying due to them not avoiding the mines, but killed him the 3rd go with me having to sacrifice myself to heal in spirit of redemption due to me runnining out of mana having to spam heals I didn't need to on damage which could have easily been avoided. On lockmaw we wiped once as I once again ran out of mana trying to keep up with the damage received by the suicidal dps but got him the 2nd go. Killed Augh the 1st go. On the High Prohpet we wiped 2nd phase. The melee simply was not getting out of the fast enough. To make things worst, the rogue lost all but 1% of his life standing in fire but instead of backing off and clicking on the light well behind him, he ran back in to melee the boss and deservedly died. I was kicked out of the group 2 bosses short of completing the instance.

The game as it currently stands no longer appreciates the hard work of healers but instead makes them easy scapegoats. There are simply more interesting things in life outside of wow, and being the blame person a computer game is not one of them.

Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Yep, being blamed for "running out of mana 25% into a boss fight" sucks, the other option is that the dps dies because you don't have the mana to spare and then you wipe. Either way you get blamed.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
I don't see why this is here. This is about the general community not healing.

Don't get me wrong I agree that the community as a whole is quite immature and I know where you are coming from.

But this post doesn't belong here.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
dont be a quitter just because people are stupid. Let them be stupid and stand in fire, its not your fault. You're taking all the fail on your shoulders and giving up because of wow players. Well I went through the same phase this weekend when I got locked into 4 heroics, all of which were failures with 1-2-or no boss kills in each one (5th heroic had no boss kills so I did it later that night in success :D).

Luckily for all of us, all realms are not linked and saturday I finally realized the old saying "there are always more fish in the pond." And because of that I kept queuing and requeuing until, eventually, I ran into 3 heroics in a row with guidlies (sometimes just 2 or 3, one had 4). It was bliss...

but hey, its your $14.95; use it as you please.

edit: just remember, people like you, OP, left wow a year go because "wow is too easy" and now I see people leaving again because its "too stressful." Blizz gave us the difficulty that heroics should have and now every is forced to face the facts that they are either A) a good player, or B) fail. But one thing I didnt notice was how much of the wow community is fail... we're tlaking like over 60% here... :(
Edited by Yehvon on 12/19/2010 5:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
maybe u just need to relearn how to play ur class. I know druids that have no mana problems, and i dont either, never did. I just know what to heal with what.

His issue is not with healing. It's the community.
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Druid
maybe u just need to relearn how to play ur class. I know druids that have no mana problems, and i dont either, never did. I just know what to heal with what.

wow thxs problom solved so dps keep standing in fire, tanks just chain pull no CC required. We are healers and once we learn to play our class we can heal stupid
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman

wow thxs problom solved so dps keep standing in fire, tanks just chain pull no CC required. We are healers and once we learn to play our class we can heal stupid

His issue is with the community not healing. Some stupid can be healed yes, but very little of it.
Reply Quote
This is so freaking weak. First off you're deliberately avoiding doing the simplest thing that would alleviate these issue by "remaining guildless to stay casual". Whatever that means. Secondly, you say that your main goal is to run 5 mans. If they made it so easy that they could all be steamrolled within a week (as you seem to be yearning for), how long do you think this expansion would keep you interested anyway?

If other people are screwing up, tell them. If they can't fix it, then move on. It just seems like you're trying to find a reason to hate the game.
Reply Quote
Sounds like a bad group. You should have left long before they kicked you.

I've noticed that the first boss in a lot of heroics functions as an idiot check. If people are getting hit by Husam's mines and shock blast, then their awareness is clearly bad and they are not going to succeed at more difficult bosses like Barim. Chalk it up as a learning experience.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/19/2010 5:00 PMPosted by Pyren
I don't see why this is here. This is about the general community not healing.

Don't get me wrong I agree that the community as a whole is quite immature and I know where you are coming from.

But this post doesn't belong here.

I agree but if he puts it in the general forum, some rogue will just reply Learn2play noob, and won't learn anything from it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I feel for you OP, but all of us have these same experiences. Some of us quit, some of us don't. If you really do want to play the game and enjoy it, you'll need to come to terms with a few things. 1. Don't heal everyone up to full. Let the DPS sit at 50% health. They learn damn quick to avoid #!*! when they know they're close to death. 2. If you don't like a group, leave. Do some archaeology and queue again - you'll get a pop within 5 minutes guaranteed. 3. There is a reason why healers get into pugs that are full guild groups, its because their healers can't heal them out of their stupidity and refuse to run with them.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
You know what I do when I see a dps standing in something they shouldn't be in? Nothing. They either die or learn their lesson quick and move out. I'll do that a couple of times and the dps will either learn or continue dying. It's great.

You know what I do when people flame me for not healing? I flame them back. I really have no qualms about putting pugs in their place. I'd rather sit and argue and DRILL IN THAT BOSS MECHANIC then run in and wipe again needlessly. Don't let people threaten you with kicks. Your queue time < their queue time.

And really, with mana being relatively limited and myself only having one castable hot, I'm not greatly inclined to fully heal any dps that takes excess damage. They get what I can output and not run myself OOM quickly in a fight.

This is only for re-re's. I'm willing to heal and save a smart dps from death.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't have mana problems because i am a Paladin. I Use Holy Power for a free heal that heals for more than a Flash of Light and it is completely FREE and there ain't a thing you can do about it :D and it's instant cast to boot!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]