Pally Tanking OP?

Ok, before the people start QQing about my title i am just confirming their dps, i think at least the pally i was with was OPed to all $hit. It was a reg Grim Batol and it was me, a pally tank, a priest healer (i think), a hunter, and a shammy(i believe, dont have recount of it still) and i was pulling highest dps followed by the tank, i was at 10.5k, the tank being at 10.2k. The hunter and shammy were at 7-8k.
Is this normal for a pally tank, and if so my pally is going prot :p. but really, compared to the other classes he was way to high imho.
please confirm, he might have been in a bad tanking spec since he died multiple times but i think it was healers mana probs
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Was he pulling big trash packs without using cc . That usually causes high dps and healer mana problems.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I like to Aoe, hammer and shield all day n night long.
Reply Quote
he was pulling average mobs sizes of the three to four on Grim Batol, we only got to second boss and he left without warning so i am thinking he was angry since he nearly died then and died multiple times, but if it was because he was not using cc(im taking it u dont mean crowd control and if ur not then idk what it is) then idk, maybe fail tank who wouldnt use it or what but i dont think i should have been competing with a tank after leaving basic 80 gear
Edited by Firun on 12/19/2010 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
So let's rethink this...

You had a tank that dealt solid dps and, presumably, held aggro against your solid dps... and you're complaining that said tank's class must be OP?

Really?

...have you stopped to consider that nerfs to said tank's dps would make it harder for him to hold aggro, thus making it harder for you to maximize your dps? Or that maybe the other dps wasn't maximizing their dps or properly geared yet compared to the tank?

It really seems to me like you should be taking more of a "Thank you Devs, I want Prot Pallies ALL THE TIME" approach instead of this quasi-innocent-question-but-really-you're-QQ'ing beneath the OP question.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have seen other tank classes pull comparable DPS in Grim Batol normal when they ignored CC. That's because they take truckloads of damage and have attack power from Vengeance stacking sky-high.

Vengeance is just that good, but the tanks are basically using healer mana to feed their DPS.

12/19/2010 5:57 PMPosted by Firun
he was angry since he nearly died then and died multiple times

Yeah. That. Live by Recount, die by Recount.
Reply Quote
12/19/2010 6:12 PMPosted by Surika
So let's rethink this...

You had a tank that dealt solid dps and, presumably, held aggro against your solid dps... and you're complaining that said tank's class must be OP?

Really?

...have you stopped to consider that nerfs to said tank's dps would make it harder for him to hold aggro, thus making it harder for you to maximize your dps? Or that maybe the other dps wasn't maximizing their dps or properly geared yet compared to the tank?

It really seems to me like you should be taking more of a "Thank you Devs, I want Prot Pallies ALL THE TIME" approach instead of this quasi-innocent-question-but-really-you're-QQ'ing beneath the OP question.

Sorry if i came out to seem QQ about it, but i am meaning that i have yet to see a tank that did more dps than most of the dps, im not complaining per say besides the fact that we wiped multiple times and if it is correct damage then fine, i honestly level my tank more. But i have not seen tanks who do more than dps than the dpsers since DKs came out. If he was well geared then shouldnt he be in heroics, and if he was regular, then by all means blizz keep it up. I was just asking if that was the norm
Reply Quote
12/19/2010 6:21 PMPosted by Holiwrath
So let's rethink this...

Really?

While there is nothing wrong with current protection and how they handle threat and such, you need to realize that you don't need to pull the same DPS in order to hold the mob.

DPS might be similar, but TPS is completely different.

Now keeping this in mind what causes the high DPS is simply Vengeance, which whenever the tank takes any form of damage they gain attack power, the more attack power the more their abilities do damage.

I've seen feral druids, protection warriors, and blood DKs do similar DPS. Its not simply protection paladins.

Thanks for confirming, so it is norm to see all tanks doing this much dps? So its just not that the tank was really strong. Then also is the dps difference between 83ish and 85 reg geared tanks really different because the last instance i did before it was a 83 and the tank was my level and did far less than the rest of the dps. I am just asking since i have only done a few instances since i recently turned 85
Reply Quote
12/19/2010 6:37 PMPosted by Farranor
but if it was because he was not using cc(im taking it u dont mean crowd control and if ur not then idk what it is) then idk, maybe fail tank who wouldnt use it or what

Tell me... what CC would a tank use? I don't seem to have Poly or Repentance in my spellbook.

Hint: CC is your job, not the tank's.

the way the person im responding to phrased it, it didnt seem she was talking about crowd control and i use sap every time im asked to
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Are you kidding me>? Warrior tanks are pulling a hell of a lot of DPS right now too. DK are pulling about 6-8k
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Check ur recount and you'll see 50% of his damage comes from the drake.
LOL.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/20/2010 1:05 AMPosted by Bionaire
Check ur recount and you'll see 50% of his damage comes from the drake.
LOL.

I dunno, I've got a Pally tank guildy who can pull 15K if we decide to skip CC.

Even single target he's pulling 8-9K, which isn't too shabby.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/19/2010 6:51 PMPosted by Sitron
Are you kidding me>? Warrior tanks are pulling a hell of a lot of DPS right now too. DK are pulling about 6-8k

Thats what happens when you build the tank specs around dps and not high threat generating abilities. I mean look at any tree, it feels like some broken but yet functional dps spec. Thats why all abilities with "generates a lot of threat" don't have it anymore, they're just counting on raw dps so tanks can hold aggro.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I don't do that kind of dps unless its a large mob, I hold aggro just fine without high dps. Of course I built my spec on surviability not how much can I out dps everyone else, because I like low repair bills and lols at the "must show off how much more dps I can do" tanks when they die. Its not just prot pallies, DKs and Warriors can do insane dps if specced that way, Got a DK tank in the guild who stays 2nd or 3rd in 10 mans, but he dies way more often than I do.

I do think Prot pallies are Op in mana I'm never below 50% for longer than 1 gcd while all the other mana users are qqing about OOM.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
grim batol is known for big mob sizes...with good hit rating, those numbers are a little high, but not terribly surprising
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i know im not 85 yet, but i was 2 on the list for dps on TOT, and if you look at my gear, its not that great.

i out dps'd everyone except for a mage, so i think you will continue to see these numbers for the prot pally. especially after reading everything everyone else said.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
If I pull a lot of mobs and do AoE I can compete on DPS with some of the other people in my group, and sometimes I'll beat them all, but on bosses (where your damage REALLY matters) there's no way I can compete with a real DPS class. I do tend to beat SOME people on bosses while doing randoms, but those people either don't have any gear or don't know how to play their class yet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]