Prot or Ret for Leveling?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
So i have been lvling my 30 pally for awhile on Prot. I like instances and tanking so a quick break for dungeoning while questing is a big help. I also love how fast tanks get into instances. I have heard a lot of threads about how Ret is best for solo, so I am wondering if I should switch to Ret? I am not really sure what I want to do spec wise for Endgame but im leaning toward Tanking over Dps. Should i stay on Prot cuz I am def having fun. or should i try ret and sacrifice dungeon convieniance for a new and hopefully more fun style of lvling? (2h! : P)

...dont get me wrong i love lvling as a prot, but i am just wondering if i could have even moer fun lvling a ret cuz of the higher crits and maybe its faster?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Prot - Ret Sucks and believe it or not but Prot does more DPS
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
prot with ret gear
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
In my opinion it is more enjoyable to level as a protection paladin than a retribution paladin. Avenger's Shield is an excellent opening spell. Once you get Wrath of the Lightbringer you can grievously injure a mob or kill a mob outright with this opening: Avenger's Shield, Judgement, Crusader Strike, and Holy Wrath (if necessary). Leveling is quick and easy as prot.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
A-shield is prolly my fav spell. It is so much fun to cut down mobs with it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
There is just something about throwing a shield that makes you want to go and say Avenger's Assemble! It has got to be the most enjoyable way to pull dungeon mobs!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Imo try out both. Dual speccing doesn't cost that much now and u want be left wondering if this spec is better than that. Buuutttt prot is very good at the moment
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Prot is amazing what i would suggest because you can take TONS of damage and kill about 15 guys at a time.. or at least i can. Makes questing faster and funner if you ask me
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/20/2010 9:22 AMPosted by Vir
Prot - Ret Sucks and believe it or not but Prot does more DPS

You're doing something wrong if prot pulls more DPS on single targets.

He's level 30 and with the spell line up for the level; Prot would actually be the better choice given the state of the class.
Reply Quote
95 Human Paladin
At 83 in nearly identical very mediocre gear (Ret slightly better due to blue weapon) prot pulls roughly 85% the dps of ret on a dummy, ideal rotation. This makes prot vastly superior to ret for leveling and pvp and especially leveling in a PvP realm until and unless ret starts to scale away with use better gear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/20/2010 5:28 AMPosted by Atreus
There is just something about throwing a shield that makes you want to go and say Avenger's Assemble! It has got to be the most enjoyable way to pull dungeon mobs!

I saw a druid in an instance yesterday who had it macroed that, every time he shifted form, he would /yell ACTIVATE COUGAR FORM! or /yell ACTIVATE BEAR FORM!

I'd suggest a similar macro for whenever you do that spell.
Reply Quote
17 Dwarf Paladin
If we're just talking single target DPS (which I was) it's hard to see how prot out-dps's a properly geared ret paladin at 30. Ret has CS and TV at that point, while prot only has HOTR and no SOTR yet.

If by CS you mean Crusader Strike, all Paladins have that. Also, since early Prot has nothing to burn Holy Power on, you're burning it on Word of Glory. No need to cast your heals.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
prot not only has CS, prot has CS on a 3 second cooldown

with a +50% damage talent and the other +50% a level away.

Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
@#$#@ double post
Edited by Gidgite on 12/20/2010 12:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
17 Dwarf Paladin
Thanks, Gidgite. Forgot about the 3 sec, since it's not in the game text.
Reply Quote
17 Dwarf Paladin
Then you're discounting using Avenger's Shield for Single Target. Which isn't far off base, since VT isn't worth using til you've got 3 Holy Power, anyway. Also, Paladins get CS at level 1.
Edited by Módi on 12/20/2010 1:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
at level 10 prot gets vengeance, 3 second CS and AS

it's fairly equivalent single target DPS, better multi target DPS and better survival.

ret really doesn't have much to offer.

fyi the same is true with warriors, prot is the leveling spec.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]