Would a TBC tank like prot in Cata?

80 Blood Elf Paladin
This toon was a full-time progression tank in TBC - server-first Horde-side Illidan kill (and Archimonde off by a few minutes) on its old server, and all that. I quit a month or two into Wrath after getting burnt out on the recycled content they called the first raid tier, though maybe partially that was due to not liking raiding as ret, which I'm not really sure why I was doing at the time.

Now, I rerolled Alliance recently with some old friends and want to get back into the tanking game. If I enjoyed tanking as a Paladin in TBC (but less so in Wrath), would I enjoy it now? Are Paladins still the powerhouse AOE tanks they were (and more importantly - is that type of thing in demand)? Can I still survive recklessly large pulls with a good healer and some solid AOE DPS? Will I ever experience the same type of rush that was tanking Hyjal trash ever again?

If not, what class would I be looking for? I have a DK sitting at 80, so that's a possibility too.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I played every BC 5-man, and then quit before WotLK. That being said I came back for Cata to a completely new set of tanking abilities.

The downside: reactive damage is no more. Holy Shield, as you knew it, doesn't exist. This allowed a huge amount of threat to be generated against melee mobs hitting you, and now the only reactive damage option you have is ret aura, which is insufficient and generally a bad choice when compared to devotion aura.

Also, consecration is pretty much only used in special circumstances due to the increased cost and cooldown; no longer is it part of a normal aoe tanking rotation.

The upside: hammer of the righteous allows you to keep aoe threat fairly well and easily, especially when used with avenger's wrath to lead off. Furthermore, since this ability generates holy power, once you hit three charges you have the option of self-healing w/ Word of Glory or a massive single-target shield of the righteous attack. This helps in aoe situations where the healer may be having a tough time, and gives pally tanks another tool in their toolbox to aid in survivability.

Avenger's shield, being instant cast now and, with a talent, can have it's cooldown refreshed, is also an attractive AOE ability.

Reckoning / seal of insight can still be used, although I haven't yet been in a situation to test if this provides enough healing to make it worthwhile. To learn my new abilities I've run the old BC instances and they are all cake, at least on normal.

I can't speak as to whether aoe tanking is in demand, but I would imagine so.

But DK tanks are pretty impressive from what I've seen, and would probably be a fun alternative.
Reply Quote
97 Blood Elf Paladin
Out of all the tanks, I would put paladins up there in AoE tanking wise... but it really doesn't matter at this point. If you're running in gear under 359, you really can't expect to AoE tank everything because you'll simply take too much damage.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
12/21/2010 5:37 AMPosted by Bubblewall
Out of all the tanks, I would put paladins up there in AoE tanking wise... but it really doesn't matter at this point. If you're running in gear under 359, you really can't expect to AoE tank everything because you'll simply take too much damage.

Obviously, I'm assuming proper gearing. I'm quite aware of how stats scale end-game. 359 is equivalent to 10m T11, isn't it?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Pally tanks are great fun. I think the holy power mechanic, where once you hit 3 charges you decide on massive damage or an instant heal, is genius. Haven't hit end-game content on this toon though, so can't speak much on that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]