Why is ret so rogue-like?

90 Tauren Paladin
Let me preface by saying a couple of things. One, I understand the difficulty of balancing functionality against homogeneity. Two, I recognize that the current model is harder to play well than the previous model, and by and large the faceroll of ret has been reduced as the designers had hoped.

That said, I play a rogue and I play a ret paladin, and I am unhappy about how similar the ret spec has become to the rogue class. I'll list the most obvious similarities.

[1] Kick|Rebuke. Both have the Kick animation. Both serve the same function and have the same cooldown. Both can only be used in melee range.

[2] Sap|Repentance. Both have the same animation. Both produce an Incapacitate effect that breaks on damage.

[3] Sinister Strike|Crusader Strike. Both have the same sound (as does Mortal Strike and Mangle, for that matter). Both generate combo points|holy power to set up more powerful strikes.

[4] Sprint|Long Arm of the Law (and Dash for that matter, though druids have long emulated rogues on purpose). Both have the same animation. Both are speed boosts.

[5] Slice and Dice|Inquisition (and, for that matter, Savage Roar, though again druids etc. etc.) These abilities function in the same way---a significant damage boost over time, dependent on generating combo points|holy power.

I understand that all of these functions are useful and thus the overlap. I played a ret paladin in Burning Crusade and I remember how painful it was. What I wish the developers would do, however, is create more variation between these abilities. Especially annoying are how similar the sounds and animations for Kick/Rebuke and SS/CS are. These are easily differentiated, if only to create the illusion that these abilities are dissimilar. Creating that illusion would go a long way toward making me feel like I wasn't a rogue in plate.

Here are my ideas for making them appear dissimilar, which involve changing the paladin spells since the rogue abilities are classic and the ret stuff is new.

[1] Rebuke should be a strong backhanded blow, aka a "pimp slap".

[2] Repentance, though a classic ret ability, should be differentiated thusly: a repentance'd foe should be forced to /kneel as a ray of golden light showers around him.

[3] Crusader Strike should sound like the blow of a massive two-handed weapon, something "large and crunchy." Visually there should be a brief flash of white light at the point of impact.

[4] Long Arm of the Law should, at the very least, be colored gold (though I would prefer that this very un-paladinlike ability be replaced with something more thematically fitting. But that's another thread.)

[5] Inquisition is fine actually---note that I didn't notice its similarity to Slice and Dice until it was pointed out. I like the spell animation.
Edited by Odhran on 12/22/2010 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You forgot SnD and Inquisition...Pretty much the same idea when raiding.

I was also a rogue back in Vanilla.

[EDIT] Actually, I'm not sure of the rogue rotation these days, but I know SnD was a must to have up back in the day, if you were combat.
Edited by Destrobael on 12/22/2010 1:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
12/22/2010 1:28 PMPosted by Destrobael
You forgot SnD and Inquisition...Pretty much the same idea when raiding.

I was also a rogue back in Vanilla.

[EDIT] Actually, I'm not sure of the rogue rotation these days, but I know SnD was a must to have up back in the day, if you were combat.

You're right. I'll add SnD/Inq.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
And that's where engineering comes in: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84424
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]