AFK for the Holidays

90 Draenei Shaman
12/23/2010 5:06 AMPosted by Glowstikz
the new forums suck

I like the new forums I actually post on them now, the old forums were like a down syndrome kid designed them and colored them with a box of crayola crayons. They hurt my head. NEW FORUMS FTW!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
sup have a merry christmas! happy holidays! :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Happy Holidays, guys! I am glad you get to spend it with your families.

Edit: And I can't believe people are actually #**!!ing in this thread. Have a heart, people! It's Christmas, and I think you all can wait another week so the Blizzard people can enjoy their holiday as you will be doing. Sheesh.
Edited by Sultry on 12/23/2010 6:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
58 Troll Death Knight
12/22/2010 1:44 PMPosted by Lylirra
(The moderation elves will still be hard at work over the holidays, however, and will know if you've been naughty or nice.)
damnit
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Mage
I don't want to be confrontational here, but it seems to me that you may be underestimating the resourcefulness of the army or goldfarmers/hackers/gold sellers.

To be quite frank, they are very, very proficient at what they do; otherwise the entire army at Blizzard dedicated to combating them would have put an end to their misdeeds by now.

In the past you recommended clicking on a link from a Blizzard email. If I was a hacker, I would have sent out 10,000 emails that day stating exactly what you said was the reason for that email.

Today, you have mentioned that Blizzard will be afk for the holidays. This effectively tells the army of hackers that they can hack accounts on the 24th, and there will be no one to get their account back (or even lock the account) until the 27th. You have effectively outlined their three day window of opportunity.

Now, I completely recognize how hard you have worked to add a layer of transparency to the forums in attempts to improve Blizzard/customer communication, and foster a feeling that genuine communication exists, and you are imo, doing a great job; however, I urge you to remember that some 'secrets' should remain secrets, even in the era of transparency.

For the future, I recommend evaluating if the information you are revealing 'could' be utilized by unscrupulous parties, because it it 'could' be utilized, it 'will'. This enemy is ever present and ever vigilant, and given the opportunity, they will strike.

On a more pleasant note, I am glad you are getting time off for the holidays, and sincerely hope you have a wonderful time.

"Lesson number one: Don't underestimate the other guy's greed!" - Frank Lopez (Scarface)
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Yes but we all know here blizzard wont stop working on WoW.
Reply Quote
They just said that people that handle customer %%%% will be still working.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Mage
Regardless of whether there will be CS people to lock/recover accounts or not, from the original post, it 'sounded' like only forum moderators will be working.

For the hackers, a perceived opportunity, is just as enticing as a 'true' opportunity. If a hacker 'thinks' there will be a three day period of even 'fewer Blizzard staff', they will step up their opperations tenfold.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
12/23/2010 7:08 AMPosted by Hocuspokeus
Regardless of whether there will be CS people to lock/recover accounts or not, from the original post, it 'sounded' like only forum moderators will be working.

For the hackers, a perceived opportunity, is just as enticing as a 'true' opportunity. If a hacker 'thinks' there will be a three day period of even 'fewer Blizzard staff', they will step up their opperations tenfold.

This is how you can identify someone new to the game, or at least the forums.

They take this break every year, and there's really no noticeable change in-game for the week. All the people responsible for maintaining order in the game are still working, it's mostly the devs and folks of that sort that take the time off.

Basically, if you never visited the forums, you wouldn't have noticed anything different.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Happy holidays!
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter
12/22/2010 3:37 PMPosted by Nethaera
ive had a ticket open since friday, it better not last till January.

The Customer Service staff are still here hard at work and will continue to be over the holiday. January isn't all that far off though.

January is 9 days away, ontop of the 4 days he's already waited.
That would be 13 days. For a ticket...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Happy Holidays Blizzard peoples!
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Mage

They take this break every year, and there's really no noticeable change in-game for the week. All the people responsible for maintaining order in the game are still working, it's mostly the devs and folks of that sort that take the time off.

Basically, if you never visited the forums, you wouldn't have noticed anything different.

Having your head burried in the sand isn't a sign that you are a wow or forum vet. The gold farmers scour the forums. It is a billion dollar a year industry and they have teams working to subvert accounts that are as large as the teams Blizzard has to keep them safe.

Nearly every wow fansite you have ever been to is owned by gold farmers (*cough* WoWHead *cough* Allakhazam), do you seriously think they don't scour these and every wow forum daily??!

As I said before ANY opportunity, real or perceived, WILL be exploited by gold farmers. That's just how it works, regardless of how deep you try to bury your head in the sand.

Oh, and while they may take this break every year, they don't announce it publically every year... and to clue you in...prior to the CS changes made THIS year, the majority of hacks to accounts occurred after 8:00 pm PST on Fridays, because prior to this year, there was no one working in CS over the weekends and the hackers could be certain they had the entire weekend to do what they wanted with the account... how's that for a history lesson?
Edited by Hocuspokeus on 12/23/2010 8:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Wow - the Blizz team wishes you a happy holiday and the majority of responses are "fix this, fix that, boo hoo". I'd hate to see how the lot of you act Christmas morning. "MOOOOM! Bart's GREEN sweater is OP! Can't you give him orange!"

Merry Christmas Blizz.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Death Knight
Merry Christmas to all from me and my little bro (Skullscalper) with our ONE OF A KIND WOW themed Ginger Bread House!!!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/photosarefun/frogger/IMG_4756.jpg

sorry the forums don't support html image tags :(
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Have a great break! Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Have a great Winter Solstice/Yule/Yalda/Boxing Day/Kawanzaa

I am sure I missed one....but seriously enjoy your time with your family, and may your bellies not get to big from the feasts.
Reply Quote
Ya know, when she implied the moderators would still be hard at work I guess I understood her original comment to mean the Community Staff was taking break. Some of you are acting like Blizzard closed their doors for a week...

Jeez!

Merry Christmas folks! Enjoy the break.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
12/22/2010 1:46 PMPosted by Ravager
do monkeys and hamsters get holidays too?

I can't help but Typhoon the buggers everytime I walk up to them.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
12/23/2010 7:55 AMPosted by Hocuspokeus

Having your head burried in the sand isn't a sign that you are a wow or forum vet. The gold farmers scour the forums. It is a billion dollar a year industry and they have teams working to subvert accounts that are as large as the teams Blizzard has to keep them safe.

Nearly every wow fansite you have ever been to is owned by gold farmers (*cough* WoWHead *cough* Allakhazam), do you seriously think they don't scour these and every wow forum daily??!

As I said before ANY opportunity, real or perceived, WILL be exploited by gold farmers. That's just how it works, regardless of how deep you try to bury your head in the sand.

Oh, and while they may take this break every year, they don't announce it publically every year... and to clue you in...prior to the CS changes made THIS year, the majority of hacks to accounts occurred after 8:00 pm PST on Fridays, because prior to this year, there was no one working in CS over the weekends and the hackers could be certain they had the entire weekend to do what they wanted with the account... how's that for a history lesson?

That'd be quite the lesson... if it wasn't factually incorrect in almost every way, or based mostly on supposition and assumption.

They've announced their time off every year, we just didn't have a feature that showed a whenever a blue posted on the forum (again, giving an indication that you really are incredibly new).

Wowhead isn't run by gold farmers, ZAM networks (who own Wowhead, Thotbot, and Alakazam) sold the gold farming company they had previously owned before the purchase of the site. Yes, the advertisements you see running on the site are occasionally (see: rarely, it's usually Blackberry advertisements) gold buying and leveling services, but that is in no way a reflection on the ownership of the site itself. I help run a tech service advice forum, and our AdSense advertisements occasionally run information on electric shavers. Does that mean we're really a front for some kind of electric shaver running cartel?

Hell, my blog based on creative writing occasionally has this one advertisement pop up for "male enhancement" and another for buying firearms without needing a permit, they rarely make any sense in comparison to my content.

Advertisements randomly generated on a site is NOT indicative of anything about the site itself. Typically, most such systems simply take keywords from the content on a site and display advertisements that would be related to said content, and what kind of WoW-related service puts a lot of effort into advertisement? Oh, that's right, gold farmers!

Basically, all your response did was further prove my original statement.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]