Healing... Revised, Revisited, Shaman style.

85 Troll Shaman
Before all else relax, and NEVER REFORGE SPIRIT FOR ANYTHING!
^^^^

After reading up on shaman mastery from elitist jerks, and various other web sites. I realized I was doing something wrong. What was that? Well I was playing like I was in woltk. HS spamming my mana away. I had to read, let the knowledge slush around in my head a while and then I came to a point where I could heal a boss fight and have mana to spare. Here is the secret.

I use spells very differently.
For tank healing I'll throw up earth shield and riptide before pull. Then I'll wait for the incoming damage. If the damage is low enough I can keep the tank up just by spamming riptide.

If the tank is taking a lot of damage I'll use healing surge to bring em up to about 60 - 75% health.

If the tank takes a huge dip I nature swift + unleash life + greater healing wave the tank which will usually bring em up to 75 - 80%

On situations where aoe damage is being applied; I usually will healing rain the melee and try to drop at least on healing surge on each ranged with my self standing in the healing rain with the melee. If somebody is still taking a bit more damage than the others I'll also riptide him.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
With my gear, my top priorities are haste, crit, and mastery. Since mastery comes on every piece of gear there is. I simply reforge it to haste or crit.

If a piece comes with only haste I reforge crit and the same vise versa.

I also gem for haste + socket bonuses....

Now the real part of healing is your group. Making sure for instance that if the warlock stands in the slime in throne of the tides you let them die. Why? Cause everybody else is doing their job, and he is failing. It's simply not worth the mana to keep him up.

If a pull is too mana taxing. It might be time for some CC.

Or if you see a mob casting see if the cast has a shield on it. If not you can wind shear it between heals, interupting the cast and saving your self some mana on a big heal in the process.

I highly recommend reading some dungeon guides. Telling people that the portals explode, and hit melee on a boss fight can also save you a ton of mana. Remember it's not always your fault, and laugh when it isn't.

I hope I've helped you guys....
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
it seems shammies were the ones the got the least jacked in the healing dpt
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Shaman healing in a nut-shell:

Greater Heal if the tank needs a lot of healing, or if a baddy DPS has lost a lot of HP from some form of 'raid damage', etc (or let them die.. feels good sometimes.)

Healing Surge if someone needs health immediately or will die in a second or two (the "sh!t hit the fan" heal). Usually only worth casting with the buff from Tidal Waves. Don't spam it.

Chain Heal ONLY when it will hit the maximum amount of people (3 or 4 depending if you glyph it.)

Healing Rain when a lot of AoE damage is coming/being done that can't be healed by other means.

Keep the Riptide HoT on the tank and only use on a DPS if the HoT will top them to 100% hp or less.

Earthshield on the tank (duh.)

Unleash Elements whenever off CD, unless no one needs healing.

Healing Wave for everything else. Live it. Breathe it. Embrace it. You should literally be spamming this 90% of the time unless no one needs healing.

If you can't keep people alive by spamming Healing Wave, drop group and find another, or let the bads die so they ragequit and are replaced with someone who isn't retarded.

Also, make macros for mouseover heals and Wind Shear for interrupting your Focus'd target, and use Hex/Bind Elemental when needed.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Don't ever use healing surge if you are waiting around. Use your healing wave more often and you will be amazed.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
12/17/2010 3:17 AMPosted by Killaelmoo

That's because this is how we realistically healed before.

Before it was a mix of Healing surge, Riptide, Chain heal.

Now we use Healing wave, Riptide, and Rain. With UL on Cooldown. All thats really changed in our healing method is the name of the spells. And we only Surge when we have to.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I keep on ES on me just in case the tank loses aggro, I also keep riptide up on me, because face it, I'm a cow running around in heavy armour...I need the shower. I also only use chain heal, because the graphic makes me feel like Wonder Woman and her golden lasso.

j/k'ing.

In my experience Healing Surge is only useful when someone is going to die, or you have lots of mana, the fight's almost over and you want to top some people up.
In my first 5-mans when I was Wrath Healing with HS as my go to heal I went OOM in under 2 minutes.

I use Riptide/GHW on the tank.

In intense fights my tank healing rotation is RT,UE,GHW,GHW,RT.

This of course is interspersed with heals on dps.

This is the rotation that works for me...your mileage may vary.
Reply Quote
89 Troll Shaman
PIE
I did my first heroic last night as a healer last night (DM) and I was surprised at my own mana regen/ability to keep mana thanks to doing pretty much what everyone else is doing now. Hell we even got some of the achievements, which I was far from expecting.

Riptide and UL on the Tank who has Earthshield is generally enough to keep them up in normals and becomes indispensable in heroic trash pulls. Healing Wave whenever someone is getting hurt, and healing surge whenever it gets too heavy. I have also been using Healing Rain more than I thought I would (the Worgen boss and Cookie were too great one for using it last night), regardless of the insane mana cost.

CC is obvious, but to even mention it now is pointless since everyone should be using it anyway, and as a shaman I can use mine with relative disconcern because they can take some damage before breaking. An overzealous warrior was an issue last night, but we straightened him out and all was well.

The only real issue I've seen is that I rarely, if ever, use Greater Healing Wave. Well, actually, I usually use it when I was Nature's Swiftness just before, but that is pretty much it.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I tend to use healing surge more because of tidal waves from riptide. Which makes your next critical healing surge more effective by 30%

Another thing I use is glyph of healing stream. Not only does healing stream tick for about 1070hp every two seconds, it also provides 195 resistance to frost, fire and nature. This saves a ton of mana on mobs who have those particular spells.

Seems like cataclysm is the shamans expansion!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
SiN
12/17/2010 3:17 AMPosted by Killaelmoo

Actually top level guild consensus is that Shamans are now the worst healers, after the Priest hotfix.

Also, Haste is a really bad healer stat right now and you shouldn't be gemming or reforging for it. Priority goes to spirit and then crit/mastery.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
12/17/2010 1:53 PMPosted by Merkimus
[quote="15676163007"]it seems shammies were the ones the got the least jacked in the healing dpt

Actually top level guild consensus is that Shamans are now the worst healers, after the Priest hotfix.

Also, Haste is a really bad healer stat right now and you shouldn't be gemming or reforging for it. Priority goes to spirit and then crit/mastery.[/quote

Maybe you are right on the haste part. I would definitely put haste as the last thing on the priority list.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]