Advice needed!

85 Troll Shaman
On Resto Shammy rotations T.T I switched to resto yesterday mid dungeon to heal the group and found myself running OOM every 2-3 pulls and also running OOM when a boss was around 20-25% health left.

Keep in mind I have NO Resto trinkets but a good amount of my gear does have spirit on it.

What I have been doing for the most part (since Heal seems damn near worthless to me) is the following:

Riptide tank, wait for a couple hits, chain heal if someone else in the group is hit (damn melee GET THE HELL OUT FIRE KTHANKS) or healing surge/greater heal. I drop MTT when I reach roughly 35% mana on bosses as well but don't seem to get much out of it.

I also use UE before I use HS or GH as well. Is there something I am doing wrong/forgetting to do here? Heal doesn't seem too efficient and chain heal doesn't either but sometimes I have to use it given the circumstance.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
HW is not useless. Get that out of your head right now. It is efficient. Spam the crap out of it.

Use your MTT a little bit earlier. Could potentially use it twice in a fight.
Edited by Totelements on 12/17/2010 10:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Use Healing Wave more. I know it sounds stupid, but it's THE most efficient heal in your toolbox. Efficiency is more than just time spent, it's also about mana cost. One other thing to keep in mind is to make sure that you're not topping people off ALL THE TIME. Most times, it'll be okay if they're not 100% full 100% of the time. Additionally, I know it may again sound stupid, but double check always to make sure Earthliving Weapon is up (I've had to create Power Auras for my shaman just for weapon imbues). Otherwise, it seems like your gear will just need some time to improve (if you're healing in the gear you have on Armory right now).
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
12/17/2010 10:31 AMPosted by Totelements
HW is not useless. Get that out of your head right now. It is efficient. Spam the crap out of it.

Use your MTT a little bit earlier. Could potentially use it twice in a fight.

I'm assuming like 30 seconds -1 min into a fight would be best to drop MTT then? And alright ty for the input!

12/17/2010 10:35 AMPosted by Tomaj
Use Healing Wave more. I know it sounds stupid, but it's THE most efficient heal in your toolbox. Efficiency is more than just time spent, it's also about mana cost. One other thing to keep in mind is to make sure that you're not topping people off ALL THE TIME. Most times, it'll be okay if they're not 100% full 100% of the time. Additionally, I know it may again sound stupid, but double check always to make sure Earthliving Weapon is up (I've had to create Power Auras for my shaman just for weapon imbues). Otherwise, it seems like your gear will just need some time to improve (if you're healing in the gear you have on Armory right now).

Yeah I have absolutely no healing gear xD but I always make sure my ELW is up. And ty for the advice/input!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Personally, Nature's Guardian is kinda meh (Especially with HW glyphed) as is Focused Insight. I strongly suggest putting points into Acuity and finishing out Tidal Focus. 2% reduced cost and crit heals which proc your mana shield could help out a lot with your mana problems.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
To cover the obvious: Get gear. Spirit>Int>Haste in that order.

Now on to advice. You have 3 major healing situations. Maintenance healing, Oh-Crap healing, and AOE healing. Remember effective shaman healing is about weaving spells to make the best use of Tidal Waves. Also, make liberal use of Hex and Bind Elemental. Make macros to announce when you are casting them. Even if they break instantly, it makes the group understand that you are working and that the wipe is their own damn fault (which it usually is).

Maintenance healing is what you should expect 90% of the time from a good group thats using their CC and not standing in fires, etc. Earth Shield, Glyphed Riptdide, and HW are your main heals. Glyphing HW helps a lot since it means you have to stop and heal yourself less often. Consider HW a "white attack for heals" and just spam it constantly. Use riptide on everyone that takes hits, and leave it alone to tick. People don't die in two hits anymore. You can allow your spells time to work now. If your mana regen is decent, you can do this forever without going oom.

Sometimes the maintenance cycle heats up, so a riptide/CH>Greater HW into the mix (or even UE>GHW also very nice) to increase heal output without wiping your mana pool in seconds. Still expensive, but you can keep it up for a while, unlike healing surge.

Oh Crap: Riptide, Healing surge x1 if possible x2 if needed. Nuff said. Once they are out of the die-in-2-hits stage, go back to triaging them up slowly. DONT top them off instantly. Health pools are too large and mana too valuable to bother. Once the crisis is over, it's THEIR job to get out of the fire.

AOE: This is tough and eats mana like crazy. Healing Rain is essential, although some fights are too scattered so stay aware. CH-HW-HW-CH while cycling through targets is your best complement to HR. It's efficient and fast because you are maximizing Tidal Wave use. Substitute GHW if the damage is really high, and if you have to start doing this on people other then the tank, a DPS is likely to die. Accept that. Accept that it is their fault. You don't have the mana to heal the whole group at the GHW rate. It's THEIR job to stay out of the fire/void/etc. Also, NEVER use healing surge unless it's truly to save someone from death in the next 2 seconds. Even CH and HR, hogs that they are, are more mana efficient then HS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]