Peaceful Incursion into Horde Territory

85 Human Paladin
I was questing around Kalimdor the other day and all of a sudden I was assaulted simultaneously by a priest, druid, and a warrior. I was able to beat all three of them (by kiting) but I seriously did not want any trouble. I just wanted to go around questing Kalimdor. I'm a new player and I was wondering if there was any way for me to signal my intent to just go around and quest or do I just have to gut it out?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
PvP happens on a PvP server. There's really nothing you can do about it, other than reroll if it really bothers you.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Just be glad it wasn't a high level camping your body cause they can one shot you.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
You should choose your server more wisely.

PVP servers you are flagged at all times, they can attack you anywhere except in Sanctuaries (Shattrath, Dalaran, and maybe one or two other areas).

PVE servers you must flag yourself, or enter a PVP only area, or do something that causes you to be flagged such as attacking an opposite faction enemy.

RP and RP-PVP servers are the same as the above but with a few minor rules added (mainly naming rules, and some requirement to be in character in some channels). Note that the rules on RP realms are rarely enforced... :(
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/18/2010 6:09 PMPosted by Discostick
PvP happens on a PvP server. There's really nothing you can do about it, other than reroll if it really bothers you.

I'm not on a PvP server or at least I think I'm not. I specifically chose RP/NOPVP when I created my character. I was under the impression that people can hit other people regardless of the realm format as long as the other person belongs to another faction. I tried talking people down but apparently they don't understand me just as I don't understand them.

If I ended up on the wrong server... I'll just have to watch my back then.

12/18/2010 6:11 PMPosted by Allíe
Just be glad it wasn't a high level camping your body cause they can one shot you.

I know. Something similar happened to me once. I was out questing in Stranglethron when all of a sudden a death knight lands behind me and hammers me for 13K of damage. Talk about overkill. There should be a "AW COME ON! Seriously?" button.

I was questing around Kalimdor the other day and all of a sudden I was assaulted simultaneously by a priest, druid, and a warrior. I was able to beat all three of them (by kiting) but I seriously did not want any trouble. I just wanted to go around questing Kalimdor. I'm a new player and I was wondering if there was any way for me to signal my intent to just go around and quest or do I just have to gut it out?

alt + F4

What does that do? Wait, never mind, I'll just try it out, thanks, I hope. If this doesn't work I'll try dancing.
Edited by Atreus on 12/19/2010 1:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin
Get some (preferably geared) 85 friends who will help you out if you're getting ganked and/or camped. Gankers come in two flavors, the ones who are actually trying to stir up some PvP and killing lowbies in hopes they're alts and log into their mains or call for help, or flat-out cowards who will crap their pants and run away if given a real fight. More often than not, it's the latter category, since the former will be going to Tol Barad, Wintergrasp, or BG's.

Good example: I was mining for obsidium this evening in Hyjal, and happened to run across an 80 druid being camped by a couple 80 horde. I had no real desire to engage in any PvP, but I'm not going to stand for anybody being camped, do I did what I always do: make my presence known, /shoo and give a three-count before opening up. Now, I'm on a RP/PvE realm so I have that buffer of having to flag myself, so the show of force gives them the chance to leave if they want before I flag; were I on a PvP server, I would have just attacked them straight out. They couldn't mount up and run away fast enough.

That said, on a PvP realm (which Gundrak is based upon my quick google) it can be hard to gauge player intent. A lot of players adopt an "if it's red it's dead" mentality and attack anybody on the other faction they see. It may be out of a genuine sense of aggression or a desire to just pre-emptively defend themselves. Others are more passive about PvP and will leave others alone, but attack if they think another player is about to. Others just PvP in self-defense.

The best way to gauge it is by watching other players's actions. If they're keeping a wide berth or acknowledging your presence in a passive way (friendly emotes, walking around you, aiding you against enemies) they're probably not going to attack you. If they do anything vaguely threatening like aggressive emotes, running at you, casting short-term buffs, stealthing, or the like, chances are they're going to attack. The best way you can display peaceful intent is by acting in the former way and not the latter.
Edited by Sarannah on 12/19/2010 2:56 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]