A Guide to Being a Fire Mage- 4.0.6

(Locked)

90 Human Warrior
Here's my question about hard casting pyro:

Say you're fighting a boss like magmaw who has a lengthy burn phase. I don't put up combustion unless pyroblast is up, but I've gone entire burn phases and not gotten a hs proc at all, or at best, a few seconds before it's over.

If I don't hard cast pyro do I either use combustion the first time I see ignite up, or do I forgo combustion?
90 Gnome Mage
sorry, meant to post the above on me mage
85 Troll Mage
The pyro dot is quite small in comparison to LB and especially ignite. Forget the pyro; you want to use combustion the instant you have a decent ignite going. A decent ignite only occurs when you will have gotten a pyro anyways (a couple fireball crit s= win). I don't believe it would be advisable to combustion only LB+weak ignite during the burn phase, and would instead wait until I got a better ignite, whether that's during the B-phase or not. Maybe other people have solid numbers for this to share.
I personally find that Molten armor is a helpful boost expecially with the t11 gear the 2pc bonus plus the molten armor make it a nice little crit increase on your fireball thus making the pyro proc more and more.
85 Troll Mage
04/11/2011 09:51 PMPosted by Antárus
I personally find that Molten armor is a helpful boost expecially with the t11 gear the 2pc bonus plus the molten armor make it a nice little crit increase on your fireball thus making the pyro proc more and more.

Molten Armor has always been the norm, for ever, for almost all specs besides post cata arcane.
I have a question or maybe a matter of style about the guide single target rotation.

"You'll want to start your fights with Scorch."

I find leading off with an instant LB, THEN moving to scorch x2 allows LB to go off on many more targets in regular dungeons. Is there a reason NOT to use LB first then move on to timed cast spells? After all, LB isnt much good for a decent amount of time, and using it first gives it that extra 2.5-3.0 seconds of 2x scorches to be ticking down. If youre talking about a 7k group that might be 2 LB's on a single target instead of 1 on a 700k target. In a 10k group I'm lucky to get a LB explode even once let alone twice. In hero dungeons it's 3 instead of 2 on a 1.2m mob.
85 Troll Mage
I hope to see a reply from Frosted soon, but I'll take a stab at his logic. Let me start off by saying that I recommend (in my own raiding sticky, just below this one) using LB first always, then scorch and by those 2 GCDs, I assume you will be close enough to Orb; you then follow the normal rotation.

Considering every caster class is using buffs/debuffs or getting into place the first 3 seconds of a fight, I would say that having critical mass on the target instantly is not a real issue. I would much rather get my LB going for uptime and get my Orb going for the cooldown before I tossed scorch up. Considering scorch travels instantly and many spells have a travel time, I would say that using scorch 2nd will cause a net zero raid DPS loss, but using LB first will increase your own DPS.

I say go
LB
Sc
Orb

Frostedblaze, thoughts?
90 Human Mage
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369742407?page=1#11 Check that out as well. I've posted some of my ideas about tweaks. Don't take everything as MUST CHANGE NOW, they are just ideas and tweaks that may bring a hotfix to fire dps and at the very least make it more fun to be fire again. Comment and bring ideas. Conversation is what brings ideas to the table and can make changes.
100 Blood Elf Mage
Not sure if this has been asked but is there a point where you have enough crit/mastery to make Frostfire Bolt+Glyph better than Fireball+glyph?
85 Troll Mage
@Leucetius
Couple good ideas, plenty bad ideas. YOur idea's are definitely not a "must change now" scenario. Fire is doing quite well ATM and there is no need for bliz to fix what isn't broken, which happen to be frost/arcane, not fire. Go make a post about those specs and you'll get a lot of good feedback.

@Melodypowers
Eh, crit helps both specs fairly equally, FFB has one extra dot for the mastery to affect tho. If mastery ever beats out crit/haste for dps, I'd say then would be a decent time to try FFB, until then, stick with FB.
How does frostfire bolt compare with fireball in pvp terms? Clearly its more difficult to get off longer casts in pvp, so is the damage reduction in FFB worth the slow? Or is fireball's extra crit (Pyroblast! procs) more important?
85 Troll Mage
Only use FFB coming out of a poly or if you clearly have some turret time and the slow or dot would help.
100 Human Mage
A gear question.. I've recently switched from arcane to fire as per requested by my guild. I've begun to master the rotation, seen a damage done increase, reforged and gemmed according to rawr. Things are looking up.

However, im confused about one thing... Rawr has me reforge all my mastery to hit/haste./crit. I get that, makes sense.

So why is Soul Casket my BiS trinket behing Volcano. I understand the Volcano card. But a mastery trinket? A mastery.. use trinket? How is this better than Bell of Enraging Resonance? And not just by a little... by a good 300 dps. Whats up with this? Is this some sort of flaw? Other mages think I'm dumb for listening to rawr and wearing it...

I thought maybe it was something do with my personal gear, but it also said the same for a guildie of mine. Here's a screenie of me looking at rawr for a fellow mage.

http://i54.tinypic.com/amvdkj.jpg
85 Troll Mage
I would say that it's possible for rawr to be true on this one. The trinket have an equal proc, but the bell has less uptime as well as as a proc it can't be stacked as well, which helps out the SK. The crit is significantly better than the mastery tho, especially on the 372 bell.

You should try simcraft too, it's kind of hard to use tho.
100 Gnome Mage
i would like to know why everyone thinks fire is so good, it has low single target dps which gets you removed from raids ( boss fights ), it does do very well on adds but boss`s aren't adds. it seems blizz and lots of people need to get things straight. i have struggled with fire spec for over 3 years now and still cant get over 10K dps which is what everyone wants in raids. fire will just not reach the 13 to 20 K dps on boss`s as everyone want or do people really know what they want. i hear a lot of people complaining about mage dps but then they say " but i really dont know anything about mages. well wake up time is here. learn about the classes your complaining about or shut up and quit crying. my main is a mage and all this complaining from everyone on runs is enough to make me think very seriously about quitting playing as what blizz has done to mages in general is jut the stupidest garbage they could ever do and people just have to be yapping their mouths about things they haven't taken the time to understand. coo do`d blizz, you fail again.

85 Troll Mage
/trolling

i would like to know why everyone thinks fire is so good, it has low single target dps which gets you removed from raids ( boss fights ), it does do very well on adds but boss`s aren't adds.

It has average to above average single target DPS, with a decent skill cap for good players. When adds are included the mage can top meters.

it seems blizz and lots of people need to get things straight.

You have that backward jack.

i have struggled with fire spec for over 3 years now

After the 2nd or so year, didn't you maybe think it could be you, and not the spec?

and still cant get over 10K dps which is what everyone wants in raids.

You have tons more gear than I do and I pulled 15k DPS on Omitron, 14k dps on magmaw and atleast 12-13k on maliork(the 3 cauldron color guy), tho I'm not sure exactly what it was.

fire will just not reach the 13 to 20 K dps on boss`s as everyone want or do people really know what they want.

I think it's trying to communicate.
http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Blackwing_Descent/dps/
Mages, and fire mages in particular as you can easily see, are not the bottom of the pack by a long shot.

i hear a lot of people complaining about mage dps but then they say " but i really dont know anything about mages. well wake up time is here. learn about the classes your complaining about or shut up and quit crying.

As much as I'd like to point more flaws in everything you type, I actually have to agree with you on this one. But L2endquotes

my main is a mage and all this complaining from everyone on runs is enough to make me think very seriously about quitting playing as what blizz has done to mages in general is jut the stupidest garbage they could ever do and people just have to be yapping their mouths about things they haven't taken the time to understand. coo do`d blizz, you fail again.

That is a run on sentence if I ever saw one. Did you even think of rereading what you typed? I mean seriously... Most fire mages are quite happy with themselves ATM, you should stop blaming blizzard because you're terrible at this game. Please, go quit; you'll be one less sub 10k dps, yet epicly geared, mage that stands in fire, wasting healer mana mage to make our class look bad.

PS: L2gem, seriously, yours are pretty bad.

PPS: Lolspirit

/endtrolling

So in conclusion

/shoo
Edited by Larcix on 4/24/2011 8:16 PM PDT
90 Troll Mage
/trolling

i would like to know why everyone thinks fire is so good, it has low single target dps which gets you removed from raids ( boss fights ), it does do very well on adds but boss`s aren't adds.

It has average to above average single target DPS, with a decent skill cap for good players. When adds are included the mage can top meters.

it seems blizz and lots of people need to get things straight.

You have that backward jack.

i have struggled with fire spec for over 3 years now

After the 2nd or so year, didn't you maybe think it could be you, and not the spec?

and still cant get over 10K dps which is what everyone wants in raids.

You have tons more gear than I do and I pulled 15k DPS on Omitron, 14k dps on magmaw and atleast 12-13k on maliork(the 3 cauldron color guy), tho I'm not sure exactly what it was.

fire will just not reach the 13 to 20 K dps on boss`s as everyone want or do people really know what they want.

I think it's trying to communicate.
http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Blackwing_Descent/dps/
Mages, and fire mages in particular as you can easily see, are not the bottom of the pack by a long shot.

i hear a lot of people complaining about mage dps but then they say " but i really dont know anything about mages. well wake up time is here. learn about the classes your complaining about or shut up and quit crying.

As much as I'd like to point more flaws in everything you type, I actually have to agree with you on this one. But L2endquotes

my main is a mage and all this complaining from everyone on runs is enough to make me think very seriously about quitting playing as what blizz has done to mages in general is jut the stupidest garbage they could ever do and people just have to be yapping their mouths about things they haven't taken the time to understand. coo do`d blizz, you fail again.

That is a run on sentence if I ever saw one. Did you even think of rereading what you typed? I mean seriously... Most fire mages are quite happy with themselves ATM, you should stop blaming blizzard because you're terrible at this game. Please, go quit; you'll be one less sub 10k dps, yet epicly geared, mage that stands in fire, wasting healer mana mage to make our class look bad.

PS: L2gem, seriously, yours are pretty bad.

PPS: Lolspirit

/endtrolling

So in conclusion

/shoo

I was going to say something too, but I think you said it so much nicer than I would have ROFL.
85 Goblin Mage
Why glyph of pyro over Living Bomb?
90 Troll Mage

http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t110326-cataclysm_fire_mage_compendium/#Primary_Nuke:_Fireball_VS_Frostfire_Bolt

Scroll down to glyphs. Read. Win. :P
85 Goblin Mage
Thanks, but now I'm hungry for guac, you jerk!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]