A Guide to Being a Fire Mage- 4.0.6

(Locked)

90 Gnome Mage
So, today after a bad run I decided to try out Fire, my secondary is Frost because I love the spec for PVE.

All of my current gear I got while on Frost - I know I am missing a weapon enchant (Power Torrent), and a belt enchant but am broke so am saving up and am looking to replace the pieces w/spirit because they were that much of an upgrade for me - in the meantime do I need to reforge anything?
90 Blood Elf Mage
I like this thread alot for beginners but i have been a fire mage for awhile and I came here to search for a few hints as to get 5-10k more dps. From what i have read i could drop some haste and go for more crit. I pull on average in a Dragon Soul raid about 23k (normal 10) which is on par with everyone else in the raid but i feel like i should be pumping 30k. I know about and try to watch ignite munching and avoid it as much as possible. If someone has any suggestions to maximize fire dps I would appreciate it. I really dont believe rotation is what is holding me back. I feel like i can do more with my stats to get some more hotstreaks as it seems to be lacking in procs at times.

One thing i dont like on this thread is that everyone is starting the fights off with a skorch, LB and so on. Obviously when starting a fight you have combustion up so why not start of with pyroblast, LB, fire orb, combustion if you have ignite, if you dont have it up spam fire ball until you do, refresh LB if needed. Skorch only gives you critical mass where pyroblast gives you critical mass and the pyroblast DOT if your specced into it. I will start a dungeon fight off with skorch due to the fact that things will be dead before the rotation starting off with pyroblast but with any raid boss he will eat my pyroblast first.
Edited by Prncesanalis on 12/28/2011 7:02 AM PST
90 Worgen Death Knight
one thing I've come across and on my mage and maybe its just me but i seem to pull more dps cutting fireball out of the equation and purely using scorch. maybe something for other people to experiment with. Also with my stat priority i do hit>int>crit>haste>mastery. with these two combinations i have a higher hot streak proc, with the scorch having a faster cast time, in turn which means that i have more up time on more dots as well.
Edited by Caju on 1/9/2012 11:27 PM PST
85 Troll Rogue
I've seen a few fire mages try this and I've never seen it work out well. Your ignites will be smaller (from scorch) and thus your combustions will be smaller... You lose too much dps by simply scorching only. (Although I do miss the days of arcane blast/scorch rotations)

It may be that you actually do better with this method, but I think if you look at your talents and glyphs in the fire tree, you'll find you will do much better with fireball.

But the bottom line is that if you're having fun playing the way you play, by all means keep doing it. This is after all ...a game... and fun is what we're here for.

Good luck!
90 Worgen Death Knight
01/11/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Radicchio
Your ignites will be smaller (from scorch) and thus your combustions will be smaller...

With the higher crit percentage, and basing that normally you use combustion after a pyroblast proc your more likely to have your ignite damage based off of your pyroblast rather than scorch.

However i have noticed that this method does not work with cata tier set bonuses other than tier 13, so i would recommend this build to a player with at least a 378 ilevel
Edited by Caju on 1/17/2012 9:56 AM PST
90 Pandaren Mage
Nice getting started layout but what you have to remember is to watch your playing style and adjust to you. Besides the talents we pick another major factor in our dps is the flasks, food and pots. Please dont forget to prepot before boss fights or some fury warrior or hunter will just walk all over you.

Reforging to hit cap, then crit seems to be working great for me. With gear stats my haste starts at around 17% and can jump over 50% with set bonus and trinket, but crit is where our money is. Remember Fire lives and dies by the crit.
54 Draenei Mage
I am new to fire mages and was curious.

Why does no one take the improved fire blast talent?

Is the spell just not used at all?
54 Draenei Mage
01/29/2012 05:54 PMPosted by Icedragonsg
Only to spread DOTS. If there's no ad's don't use it.

Thank you for your help.
100 Blood Elf Mage
Hi guys.The thing is,my dps is not good.I don't really know what i am doing wrong,but my dps at DS is about 18~20k,i mean,most times is 16~18k.Any advices?

At FL,i was arcane,and had no problem with my dps,i was actually happy with my dps.But when i turned into fire at DS,it was kinda strange.

I know i have 3 items unenchanted(I had a problem with golds LOL).

ANY advice,i will be so thankfully.

:)
100 Human Mage
I'm not sure if this was mentioned previously, but I always like to start encounters with a hard cast of pyroblast - this serves 2 functions. First, it gives your tank plenty of time to build aggro (with good tanks this is seldom necessary, but a hard cast pyro at the start ensures that you won't have to worry about threat the rest of the encounter, barring aggro-resetting mechanics). Secondly, this allows you to lead with your most damage spell and dot effect without suffering a lost in dps because of the hard cast time, since you haven't damaged the boss yet.

So, I recommend hard cast pyroblast, followed by scorch, LB, flame orb, fireball, mirror image, then fireball and reapply LB and critical mass as needed, with procced pyros as available. Another tip that I recommend is that you do not cast Pyroblast immediately once it is procced but that you actually wait for a fireball or scorch crit before you cast it, because Pyro is the most likely spell to crit and you will see dramatic increase in DPS by proccing more back to back hot streaks.

That's just my 2 cents anyway.
100 Human Mage
Hi guys.The thing is,my dps is not good.I don't really know what i am doing wrong,but my dps at DS is about 18~20k,i mean,most times is 16~18k.Any advices?

At FL,i was arcane,and had no problem with my dps,i was actually happy with my dps.But when i turned into fire at DS,it was kinda strange.

I know i have 3 items unenchanted(I had a problem with golds LOL).

ANY advice,i will be so thankfully.

:)

The problem is most likely with your use of combustion. Combustion is the key to fire mage dps, and you must use it properly to realize the full potential of the spec. You should only cast combustion when the following conditions are met:

1. LB is active on the target.
2. Pyroblast dot effect is active on the target, and
3. A fireball or preferrably pyroblast ignite effect is active on the target. You MUST have ignite active or your dps will suffer greatly, and you want to avoid combustion a scorch ignite at costs, because the dot effect from scorch ignites is significantly less than fireball and PB. Ideally, you should wait for a PB ignite to use combustion, but sometimes this is not practical: i.e. it is better to get 2 fireball ignite combustion in an encounter than only 1 PB ignite combustion.

I recommend the add-on combustion helper for maximizing your combustion (I don't use this anymore, but it is exceedingly helpful until you get a good grasp on the spec).
100 Dwarf Mage
So you want Living Bomb + Ignite dots for combustion. And it should ideally be an ignite from Fireball or Pyroblast. But what about Pyroblast dot as well? Is it worth it hardcasting Pyroblast to try and get that third dot going? Problem is Ignite doesn't last long so its tricker than it looks.
82 Goblin Mage
Let me just say I am glad every class has one of these threads!
90 Undead Mage
Removed
Edited by Ig on 5/17/2012 9:04 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
very nice topic! keep up the good work
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]