Healing has gotten better eh?

85 Draenei Shaman
Healing heroics has gotten more manageable. Part of it is because of gear upgrades, but I think most of it has to do with the rest of the group becoming more responsible and aware that there is no longer any margin for error in these encounters. That being said, I will only run with guildies, and avoid dungeon finder at all costs. DPS is now making sure to be careful not to stand in the fire, touch the sheep and heal themselves whenever possible. Also, having other classes in the group who have heal buttons and abilities and actually use them has helped quite a bit. Also <3 bloodworms.

The most important change however was how *I* healed. I've got the new rhythm down, the way all the new talents and spells work together. I very rarely go OOM anymore, and I am finding that keeping everyone alive is easier. One of the best things I did was enable player health remaining on grid, versus percentage. It's perfectly fine to leave most DPS at like 30-40% health most of the fight, and triage who actually needs to get healed up right away.

It is a pretty steep learning curve, considering where we were, healing wise, in wrath. I still think healer's bread and butter cheap, small heal could be buffed just a tiny bit to heal more/scale better.

Just my $0.02
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't think healing has gotten any better, but it's certainly got easier. I don't find this "new model" of healing particularly challenging, what I have found is it is much more frustrating.

Mana pools have doubled, spell costs have at least doubled, but spells still heal for the same value they did 5 levels ago. That was initially very frustrating.

In Wrath a healer's job was keeping everyone alive, and healers could be very good at that job. So good, in fact, that players fell into bad habits. Our ability to perform has been reduced, and we can no longer make up for other players' bad habits. That was initially very frustrating.

As I acquire better gear my heals are getting slightly larger (not much), and I regenerate more mana so I can afford to throw stray heals to make up for other players' bad habits. So it's less frustrating.

But better? No, not really.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Healing heroics has gotten more manageable. Part of it is because of gear upgrades, but I think most of it has to do with the rest of the group becoming more responsible and aware that there is no longer any margin for error in these encounters. That being said, I will only run with guildies, and avoid dungeon finder at all costs. DPS is now making sure to be careful not to stand in the fire, touch the sheep and heal themselves whenever possible. Also, having other classes in the group who have heal buttons and abilities and actually use them has helped quite a bit. Also <3 bloodworms.

The most important change however was how *I* healed. I've got the new rhythm down, the way all the new talents and spells work together. I very rarely go OOM anymore, and I am finding that keeping everyone alive is easier. One of the best things I did was enable player health remaining on grid, versus percentage. It's perfectly fine to leave most DPS at like 30-40% health most of the fight, and triage who actually needs to get healed up right away.

It is a pretty steep learning curve, considering where we were, healing wise, in wrath. I still think healer's bread and butter cheap, small heal could be buffed just a tiny bit to heal more/scale better.

Just my $0.02

I play this tank, GF plays a shammy healer. She pretty much agrees with everything you said here, according to what she was telling me last night.

It apparently still isn't 'fun' like BC was, but she can handle it now. Of course that is because we stopped even touching the LFD tool. If we are the only ones on, we now do dailies or work on secondary professions instead of even chancing the 'tards in LFD.

For Heroics to go from stressfull to fun(ish), your tank needs to get a 340+ equipped GS, your healer needs the same, the DPS needs the same, and they can't be retarded and move out of ground effects as well as not breaking CC.

She wasn't feeling well one day so didn't log, and our group went through 7 healers on the first boss in SFK because they don't know how to purge/dispell/whatever. We found one that could (who was cheesing the system with dps gear in his bags) and still had a couple greens, but he knew how to dispell. We then didn't wipe the entire instance.

PS - run with a DK and don't flip out if they get low then pop back up. DK's take more damage but seem to have more healing than the other tanks. Getting used to your tank is something that just dosen't happen in LFD and I think that is a big issue.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]