DPS and you - A guide

100 Tauren Warrior
01/20/2011 2:12 PMPosted by Evolute
But no one is holding a gun to your head and telling you to read this.

No, but it's clogging up forum space when every other thread, virtually identical to this one just not in wall-of-text format and not from people who post at tankspot, are deleted or locked or shut down very quickly.

I entered an opinion, people backed up my opinion, you posted your opinion, ok. It's a forum. That is what is supposed to happen.

Get over yourself.

And the prevailing opinion was that enough people clicked the "I Like This Button" enough that it got stickied.

Think you're the one who needs to get over yourself.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
01/20/2011 5:00 PMPosted by Mookosh
And the prevailing opinion was that enough people clicked the "I Like This Button" enough that it got stickied.

It was stickied with few likes, four posts and about two and a half weeks after it was posted.

It took over a thousand views for it to get 'highly liked'.
Edited by Evolute on 1/20/2011 5:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
should be stickied in every class forum as well
Edited by Saxet on 1/23/2011 4:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Paladin
right clicking the lightwell = you being alive

great post by the way
Edited by Akhita on 1/25/2011 11:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
on the PTR why dont rouges start with a thrown for *fan of knifes* i mean really bliz its kinda stupid to have like 3 rouge spells that need thrown weps and on the PTR you dont give them to the rouges!!! (fix that plz)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
whoopies for you
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
wow speaking of mage what is the is wrong with arcane mage crit so damn high but lacks in dps because of mana they need to do somthing about that.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Nice guide! ^^
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Nice work Earthshield. Elocuent, Cohesive, Educational and straight to the point. I wish we could have more of this type of post. Thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Talk to my tank and healers? That's a joke.

In most of the dungeons I pug, the tank and healer is off like a shot and do not even wait for my buffs. Their loss, I guess.

My biggest problem in obtaining a good dps is not being able to get the gear I need because I cannot hold up in a heroic with my current setup. Catch 22

I guess a gs of 8406 means nothing anymore

Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior
A good guide for DPS in general (though mostly casters). One thing I did notice was the absence of comments on knowing when the fight was a DPS race, and when it is not.

One of the biggest issues for me, is my modest DPS, despite having the gear level, and getting booted after the first fight because I'm not doing 10-15k DPS.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Well...I liked it. I liked it because it treats about Dp'sing and just that.The dynamics between the healer and the tank respective roles really hit home . It is informative and there are a lot of players becoming 85's out there everyday who need to know what have changed and how the fights are doing to each class.Stay alive!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
This is not a guide to damage per second as the title suggests :( It is a guide to not being a complete n00btard.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
This post is magnificent! I took notes, realizing I needed help with CATA raids. I mostly ran with PUG's in BC + WOTLK. My old Guild was not big on group stuff but now, in a new guild, and with the emphasis on Guild reps + achievements, I am studying up on how to be a better DPS class. Thank you so much for this post, Earthshield. It has helped me tremendously.
Reply Quote
61 Night Elf Druid
I am totally new to WoW and MPG and I'm old. I totally needed a basic explanation of how to act in DPS. I knew I should not tank or try to heal cause its too busy for my gameplay ability. But on my 5th group dungeon someone petitioned the group to have me ejected. I didn't even know I wasn't doing well and am still experimenting with my character but it was an eye opener. A guild-mate stuck up for me. Remember friends, some of us are always going to be totally new to the game but not all of the newbies will be mature enough to understand why things happen. This is a good description of a basic way to perform this role.
Reply Quote
42 Dwarf Paladin
My compliments to the author. You cleared up a few things for me. The discussion you started was even more informative.

You did well in a # of ways. Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My main spec is a retadin 7K to 9K dps (I guess if I remember to doff the fishing pole I could improve it :))

I read this thread with a new set of eyes, because I just started tanking. I wanted to learn to tank out of frustration with some experiences I had with other tanks, and because I wanted to help my guild (minimize the 40 minute waits).

As a dps, I like it very much when priorities are identified by tanks - i.e., skull and X. Fights always go more smoothly when they are marked - when tanks do not mark priorities, the instance is always frustrating. As a tank, I try to always mark priorities.

As a dps, I like it when cc is used (and marked well). Each fight goes better, and the healer seems much less stressed for mana. Although I know tanks do not need to be the ones marking cc's - when others do not mark their cc's, and tanks refuse to either mark cc's for the party (or outright refuse to use them), the instance is always frustrating - and often a wipe. As a tank, I am at the stage of learning to mark cc's and speaking with the healer about level of cc's they wish. I am not at the advanced stage of asking others to mark their cc's, and setting dps priorities after.

As a dps, I admit to having gotten caught watching my hands instead of my feet. I have gotten better, but I think we all stay in "fire" too long once in a while. I learned to like the "green circle", and then..boom..poison circle. Or light blue "healing circle" I jump out of. It will always be one of my areas of improvement. As a tank, I notice the color under my feet, and the casting bar of my opponent much more.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to tell you that I loved the post, and most of this thread... mostly in confirming what I have been learning as a dps, and am trying to apply to tanking.

Kindest Regards!

Reply Quote
84 Human Warrior
Gotta say as a new tank, this quick start guide is excellent in showing the differences between Cata and wotlk. I had played ibout 2 years ago, took a break and then came back on a fresh reroll account. What I like here are some of the suggestions for what DPSers can do to assist the tank. For tanks who might read this, the one thing hopefully you come away with is PLEASE mark priorities for your DPSers and TALK to them. I used to nerd rage rant on DPSers, but after creating a couple of quick macros explaining my basic way of tanking with my healer, most of the time our instances go well.

I would like to see a little more interaction with cc's. I dont see it that often in the low end dungeons and wish they would. Reason is so I can get better at my pulling and threat as well as have a couple of oh !@%! buttons in the wings.

Shield I gotta say, I this is an excellent baseline for DPSers to follow and helps me as a tank to understand more of what I can do to interact and work with my DPS and healer crew. Thanks a bunch.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have a question for you since No one seems to have the answer maybe you might hopefully. Dungeon finder groups you with other people from other realms. Your in one and your kill more monsters then the tank does without any help from the tank because the tank is way over there on other side of room. How is that you end up with the lowest precentage? I keep getting kicked because of this crap! I taking out more then Tank the Tank dies and I don't and I am holding ground but yet at end of battle I get lowest score 14%? I think this is BS because The Tank died at the beginning of fight I was only one fighting. If I clear of the Boss and the adds on my own without the tank then how is it I am at the bottom of that stupis precentage list that these other people from other realms post? Theres even been dungeon groups where the other dps just stood around doing NOTHING and I still got lowest? WHY IS THIS? I would appreciate help figuring this out because if this is error in that program of precentage rates of group then it seriously needs to be corrected!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]