DPS and you - A guide

hey im a DPS and not 2 sure how things go but i found these comments very informative and helpful. As groups we should always try 2 work 2 gether and help each other so that as a raid group we will b stronger thereby making our group stronger or our guild stronger .... seems good sense 2 me:)
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Awesome guide, i hate it when tank, or some other stupid DPS breaks my wittle sheepy.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
as a tank that's seen every pug group imaginable, everything from 3 melee dps, to 2 melee w/ a druid, 3 mages, 3 lox and every combo in between. Aside from saying Bravo to this post I must stress one point made.

IF Your a War or DK and YOUR aggro is impeding on me, switch targets!

The only thing i would add is /assist is your friend!!! I mark skull[kill] and cross[second] with most mobs, but sometimes people don't read my CC macro, or just do whatever making me constantly taunt/Heroic Throw or blow CD's like challenging shout and the emergency intimidating shout, which as mentioned, isn't much of a CC given the duration of effect and duration of the CD.
I see more warriors and DK Drop in my groups than anything else, so plz, Get a good threat meter, or threat plates, and switch targets when your aggro starts to impede on mine.
Being a tank when ever i switch to my OS/Fury spec i know these things, and it really helps, not just the tank, but the group and myself. Either i will stop attacking completely for a few seconds till the threat dissolves, or i'll switch targets.

TY for taking the time to make this thread and the valuable information therein. I hope DPS take some serious thought into what you stated, cause imo it's gospel!

p.s. nothing worse than a DPS saying "I don't even know what my CC's are!" >.<
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Good guide. Many DPS especially newer players that are just getting into Cata Heroics or LK Raids for Titles have absolutely NO IDEA how to DPS, they don't get the concept of not everything just being Tank and Spank. You should make a Class/Spec Guide for Warriors because i'm sure some warrior out there in some realm is making us good warriors look terrible. But overall, great guide. 5 Stars! /hug <3
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
nice post 3 thumbs up man!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Great Post. May I suggest a add on section. They help you be more aware.

I for one use a add on called GTFO. It makes a noise whenever I take dmg from standing in fire so I know to move ASAP. I also, have a add on for my pally called marking bar that allows me to mark adds instead of the "right click method". I also have a add on that announces when I interrupt something. I forget the name of it however.

Here are the links for the two mentioned above.

All Links are from Curse.
GTFO
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/gtfo.aspx

Marking Bar
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/markingbar.aspx

Threat Meters I personally use Tidy Plates Threat

Omen
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/omen-threat-meter.aspx

Tidy Plates
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/tidy-plates.aspx

Tidy Plates Threat
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/tidy-plates-threat-plates.aspx
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
This was a good guide. Last night I was running a random pug and the tank marked a target and asked for CC. I just stood there until someone to told me he was talking to me. Huh?!? CC?!?! I had to think about what that even meant it had been so long. I got the hang of it by the 3rd mob and apologized to the group telling them I have never been asked to CC before. They group was cool about it and the tank told me that I would be expected to do it even more in heroics. So when I saw this sticky it sounded like something I should read. These things are usually written as rants complaining about this and that. Not this one. It was spot on and confirmed what I had just experienced.

One side note. I like this change. It's nice to actually be a bigger part of the strategy and get to use some of my traps. The only time I got to do CC before was a spur of the moment thing when someone broke aggro or a healer was in trouble. But it was always a reactive use and not a proactive use. Thanks Blizz
Reply Quote
Let's get some things clear;

1- Attacking the objective, and subjective aspects of a single character (gear, achievements, enchants, gems, guild reputation, etc) and assuming these aspects have something to do with the validity of their argument, is ignorant, and simply oblivious behavior.

This (1) is true for the simple fact that any customer of WoW can have more than 1 character. This means the character does not reflect the player, necessarily.

2-Attacking a player as some sort of half-wit 'appeal-to-skill' argument in order to negate their claims, opinions, theses, hypotheses etc. is also ignorant and very unintelligible behavior.

With those opinions of mine out in the open, I'll now comment on the OP:
As with most writing, the whole guide could be condensed. Some irrelevant information could be omitted, and some sentences could be cleaned up to make more sense.

As with the ideas of the guide, that is:(DPS have responsibilities now beyond maximizing damage, regardless of what you thought). I think the supporting evidence for this is quite sufficient. Good job on being the one who put yourself out there for everyone to critique, Earthshield. Not many would do the same, or could for various reasons.

I think it's sad that you needed to have a disclaimer, but that is the nature of WoW players, so sensitive about thier own characters, and insecure about their own skills - that they often pray on the weak, and are oblivious to the countless players truely better than they are. Notice that if you ask someone who is reputable in wow, on your server or otherwise "are you good?" they will say "I'm alright" or "I'm not the best" They are humble. There's a lot to say about that mindset.

-Nao
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
i loved this guide for its intent. it was on point, although somewhat clunky to read.

as for whether it belongs in this forum, i personally think it does, as it helps dps better understand how to survive with cataclysm forcing us to deal with new/old mechanics. Dead DPS IS NO DPS.

i play heals mostly, and see the useful this guide

its brings to light important issues, in prior wow life, healers could often cover casual and severe mistakes. this is no longer true for the average healer until they acquire gear in the item level approaching 352. prior to that heals gonna need everyone in the group using every trick or tool they have to ensure group success. this guide highlights things dps can do and know to help.

i also appreciated hearing about the melee approaches to cc; all melee groups definitely present unsual challenges.

evolute. you say you dont post to irrelevant threads. and you called this thread irrelevant. yet you have posted more than seven responses.

you contradict yourself; and confirm guides relevancy with your postings.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
by the way i came here looking for information on rogue theorycrafting, but i did not know that until i read thru the postings in this thread. so u never know how someones gonna come across useful information or information that will further advance thier search for useful information.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I liked it so much I rolled need on it.
Reply Quote
63 Orc Death Knight
Is it possible to FORCE people to read that when they log in? Maybe a similar one for tanks that says "YOU CAN'T HOLD AGRO LIKE YOU USED TO!"

On one of my alts, I've just had the 3rd heroic BC fail on the second boss because the other DPS weren't paying attention to stacks, and the tank kept moving the boss into other beams. With 2 melee, one of us was always out of range of the boss. And the rogue seemed to refuse to get out of the beams.

And that brings up something else: WIPES HAPPEN. They just DO. Simply because ONE wipe happens, it seems like every other tank just drops group even when THEY cause the wipe. Maybe that could go up as well. Tanks, stand the hell still. Unless you NEED to keep moving the target around, just stay where you are. All these people who feel like they have to jump all over the place, and thus agro another group, is starting to get a little tired.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
It's nice to have a decent guide, but it's quite bloated and out of date. I mean, it doesn't take that long to say L2CC, don't take avoidable damage, don't pull threat, and just basic awareness. It could stand some revision, especially in light of the new face of Cata roics such as groups simply outgearing them. It would be nice to see some discussion on the balance of focused fire versus aoe, and also on interrupts, which merit a whole separate discussion from CC. Perhaps a new guide to accompany the release of 4.1 would be appropriate.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
the only DPS THAT BLIZZAIRD CARES ABOUT IS DK/PALLYS/WORERS and rest. im so pist at the whay this games is set up 10k plan
it on you thanks for youre support BLIZZAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I avoid pugging dungeons, because most groups assume that everyone is a WoW pro. I play for fun, and try to find forums for possible help, all I find is more bickering and less advice for non-geek types - that don't know a macro from a keystroke - give us players a break, we just want to have fun without getting kicked or cursed while trying to learn the best way to play a toon.

This game attracts all ages and types of people, some of us are a little slower on the mechanics of keyboard controll. More compassion and consideration toward other players create a friendlier place to escape too. Those who know, should teach, not preach. Rudeness and foul language does not impress.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I avoid pugging dungeons, because most groups assume that everyone is a WoW pro. I play for fun, and try to find forums for possible help, all I find is more bickering and less advice for non-geek types - that don't know a macro from a keystroke - give us players a break, we just want to have fun without getting kicked or cursed while trying to learn the best way to play a toon.

This game attracts all ages and types of people, some of us are a little slower on the mechanics of keyboard controll. More compassion and consideration toward other players create a friendlier place to escape too. Those who know, should teach, not preach. Rudeness and foul language does not impress.
Reply Quote
56 Blood Elf Hunter
Thank you! This helped me alot! ^o^ New to the game, and was confused and nervous on my first dungeon run. :)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Noted
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Not only does Tanskpot ROCK, but this posting puts it very clearly. I will refer people to read this post. People like to play the game because it's fun, Healing and Tanking turn that fun into more of a responsiblitiy. DPS should be no less of a responsability. Yes, it's a different job, yes, it requires you to pay attention and YES your DPS might suffer a bit because you stoped casting to jump out of the fire. HOWEVER, comma, you will do a TON more DPS alive than you will DEAD after casting that epic proc of Starfire, but you stood in the fire so that was your last effort to top the DPS meter. In closing, Thanks for the post, I agree 100% Keep it up Shield, we will keep reading... Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]