DPS and you - A guide

85 Worgen Priest
I wont heal dps for the simple fact that most of the time they are the ones standing in !@#$
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thank you. It was informative for me.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Awesome point on the healing perspective! I think everyone should try healing for a few days. You learn fast how annoying it is when dps just stand in stuff and don't care to do anything about it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
12/20/2010 03:35 PMPosted by Earthshield
this doesn't just go for DPS, but tanks and healers too when it comes to the CCing. Communication is key and I believe with a solid communication, this'll make Cata runs a lot smoother.

This is very true, i remember when my raid group first started DS and we were having difficulties with some of the fights so we decided to go back to FL, only to wipe on trash because we weren't communicating on the pulls and pulling WAY too much, haha. (granted it's an in guild joke that we will always wipe on the trash and one-shot the bosses :P)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Wow! Very nice guide! Looks like I've still much to learn about DPS'ing. But this guide at least put me in the right mindset. I actually know what questions to ask now!

Like good threat reduction techniques? I haven't done any dungeons in a while as a DPS, but in just playing in the overworld with a couple other people, it seems like my Shadow Word: Pain and Devouring Plague really draw them away from my tank pretty quickly.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Wow! Very nice guide! Looks like I've still much to learn about DPS'ing. But this guide at least put me in the right mindset. I actually know what questions to ask now!

Like good threat reduction techniques? I haven't done any dungeons in a while as a DPS, but in just playing in the overworld with a couple other people, it seems like my Shadow Word: Pain and Devouring Plague really draw them away from my tank pretty quickly.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Fade

It's temporary though. You shouldn't have issues in groups, most tanks can hold threat without issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have only been playing for 6 months, and I have awesome guildies that have helped me learn everything under the sun to not be THAT noob DPSer, but this was a huge help too! Thank you for explaining the "why"! I think if people knew why something needed to be done or not done, they would be much better players! ^.^ I was lucky enough to have started with heals, and thus went into DPS already knowing the plight of a healer's mana. :P
Reply Quote
84 Human Warlock
Read the OP

"Instances will Require CC"

I'm laughing so hard right now, because that never came to pass.

The trash never did enough damage to require CC, they did just enough damage to make healers miserable but not enough to make CC the obvious and required choice.

Whenever the tank went down they still blamed the healer.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Nice post, Threat shouldn't be an issue now that tanks have their threat boost bliz gave them, however an other thing people should be aware of is where they are. Awareness is also a big diff from wrath to cata cause back in wrath for the most part you could sit and spam dps, cata that doesn't work well, "Fire ain't a buff, nor will it ever be so don't stand in it"....also a reason heals don't heal dps anymore.
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Hunter
thanks for the tips i know i have a lot to learn about DPS but this is my first swing at WoW and had no clue what DPS was until a few friends of mine kinda explained it now i just gotta lean for my self
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Selithvia, Learning to DPS properly helps everyone including the other DPS in your group. If you have not read it I would suggest reading the MM Guide on the hunters forum as well. It is also very informative.

As a part time healer (read normal 5 mans) I still see DPS that will stand in the bad stuff. The bad part of this is they are at least heroic geared or geared for HoTs. I tend to wait till they are around 40 to 50% down then cast a HW. Even two plus years after Cata's release we still have this issue.

Of course we still have people that don't know the fights in places like Grim Batol I found out during one of my healing runs.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
roll tank use dps gear gg
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
This is all well and good, but what do you do when a boss keeps aoe around himself almost for the whole battle? I've found myself moving in and out and in and out ad nauseum trying to get close enough to hit the target without stepping in some kind of dangerous aoe puddle and constantly hearing GTFO blaring it's loud warning blasts. This seems to be very common in Panderia instances where it seems everything, even trash mobs have aoe abilities. This is especially difficult on frost dk's because we have very little damage mitigation and even less self healing, except for the occasional death strike or death pact.
DBM gives warnings when the aoe damage is coming but sometimes it happens so often you can't get close enough to do anything significant. I've seen this since Cataclysm. And I think it's making melee dps extremely difficult to play well. And of course, it ruins our dps numbers totally.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
dps dont stand in bad sh*t and dont die lol we need a guide for that j/k was a good read :)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
12/16/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Lenarific
dps dont stand in bad sh*t and dont die lol we need a guide for that j/k was a good read :)

Really? After reading it myself I had thought that the OP had achieved the feat of strength: Get Troll Post Stickied.

12/20/2010 01:05 PMPosted by Earthshield
In WotLK, you were able to stand in a zone and take a bit of damage before getting out and know that the healer will keep you alive because the Healer has the mana to use on you.

Yikes.

Anyway, the problem is moreso that folks don't read the dungeon/raid journals and don't possess that knowledge. It's not mentioned anywhere that I can see that states "educate yourself on what it is you're fighting."
Edited by Vigilanti on 12/23/2012 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Warlocks and Hunters.... P*ss me Off!!
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Rogue
I've always LOVED the Tauren in Cenarion Circle and Earthen Ring! Now this absolutely confirms how awesome Tauren are, and Earthshield really does make me want to yell: For the Horde!!!
Reply Quote
67 Blood Elf Death Knight
BoP
http://www.youtube.com/user/trialmop?feature=watch
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Priest
maby you wouldlike my set up / rotation i play priest, pally war, and monk, feel freee to leave feedback i love it

http://www.twitch.tv/tcrelectronics
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]