Ret Mastery

100 Human Paladin
Why was Ret the only DPS class to get a rotation changing mastery? Especially considering without it we still have a bit of RNG with AoW to jumble the "rotation" up. All the other DPS specs Masteries are passive dmg increases except a few that have a chance to get an extra attack/abilty on (insert w/e attack/abilty here).
Edited by Roxus on 12/20/2010 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
because hand of light is a last minute bandaid that will soon be removed.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It doesn't change the rotation, just puts a fresh [TV - whatever ability you were going to use] in your face, resulting in a pretty small overall gain.

It ain't bad for a quick refresh on Inquisition, but overall the damage gain is still pretty small.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Pretty sure the fact that otherwise you hit (CS filler filler) or (CS wait wait) until 3 HP.....means its rotation changing.
Edited by Roxus on 12/20/2010 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
except its cs-filler-filler-cs-filler-cs-TV-cs ohh wait HoL proced right as it hit TV and didnt use the holy power....
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Exactly, our mastery disrupts any sort of flow in our DPS. Its not fun and not even enough of a DPS increase to give mastery half the stat weight of crit or haste.
Reply Quote
12/20/2010 3:49 PMPosted by Tinreaper
except its cs-filler-filler-cs-filler-cs-TV-cs ohh wait HoL proced right as it hit TV and didnt use the holy power....

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Now you can use TV twice instead of once, it doesn't have a cooldown, or you could use zealotry, inquisition, or word of glory...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
except you have already hit/queued CS by the time you relise you are still at 3HP wasting the HP generated by CS

Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Fellas, fellas, quite trying to confuse the guy. Everyone knows our rotation is just keep slamming your face on the keyboard and hope RNG procs make you the leet.

We are the only spec who are faceroll not because we are easy, but because literally rolling our face on the keyboard is more useful than trying to skillfully play.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/20/2010 4:24 PMPosted by Ðexter
Fellas, fellas, quite trying to confuse the guy. Everyone knows our rotation is just keep slamming your face on the keyboard and hope RNG procs make you the leet.

We are the only spec who are faceroll not because we are easy, but because literally rolling our face on the keyboard is more useful than trying to skillfully play.

Hahaha omg its so true
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Sigh.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Something of note about mastery, it's only really good to use as a filler.

I'm assuming no DP procs whatsoever for the time being.

At no HP
1) CS -> TV -> filler -> CS ((better))
2) TV -> CS -> filler -> filler ->CS

At 1 HP
1)CS -> TV -> CS ((better))
2) TV -> CS -> filler -> filler -> CS

HURR look at that. Of course it's ridiculous to assume no DP procs, so let me offer you an alternative:

ASSMING DP PROCS LIKE MAD LIKE EVERY THING DAWG

At 2 HP
1) TV -> CS -> TV
2) CS -> TV -> TV

Don't they look the same? But wait! The second option now leaves you with TWO HoPo at the start of the next cycle because of the "in the mail" buff to a 4th "accidental" HoPo gain!! LOL BLIZZARD!!

Ahem.

Cheers, I just made you all better at playing the game.
Edited by Sparklefairy on 12/20/2010 4:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/20/2010 4:30 PMPosted by Elidra

If you could somehow ensure that TV or Inquisition never went off at less than 3HP, you could quite literally spam random buttons and do very nearly as well.

Honestly, i dont understand why any of the specs have the ability to activate a holy power ability before the 3 hp. who the hell is on purpose? they suck. the only thing having the ability to activate tv at 1/2 hp does is make me cuss when i accidently hit it instead of exo or cs. the ONLY possible exception is with inquisition, but even that is heavely debated.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It's because Blizz loves to torture us with RNG.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
I use low HP WoG while tanking, sometimes timing is more important than efficiency
Reply Quote
92 Human Paladin
Keep in mind my experience with ret in 4.x consists entirely of spending five minutes at the training dummy on patch day, saying to myself "well this is crap" and respeccing prot when I say this...

But, I think the idea itself is solid. I think the idea here was for ret mastery to provide a similar effect to AM/FoF/HS for mages; a free, procced damage ability ideally to shake up the damage rotation and force the player to remain situationally aware and react instead of just repeating a rotation ad nauseam. It just needs some refinement; personally, it sounds like making our mastery give a high proc chance with an ICD which is lowered through additional mastery would make it worlds better.

The mastery itself alone isn't IMO the real source of the RNG problem, DP and AoW is. Those two need to be changed to be more reliable and a steadier source of damage.

IMO, DP ought to be changed so one point gives a 100% chance for judgment to grant HoP; two points extends that 100% proc chance to consecration and/or holy wrath. AoW ought to be changed to grant a 33/66/100% chance for the exorcism proc upon Inquisition/WoG cast, not a low chance for auto-attacks to grant it.
Reply Quote
yea they really need to make HoL's proc chance alot higher than 8% base before mastery, as well as make it a chance to proc off of any attack rather than just auto attacks.

same thing with AoW, they both really need to be chance off of any attack rather than just auto attacks.

and increasing DPs proc chance for those abilities just a tad may not hurt either, but really 40% isn't too bad, but the proc chance on HoL and AoW are very lacking especially because they are off auto attacks only.

because lets be serious, when spamming alot of abilities all the time your character doesn't even get alot of chances to auto attack especially with a slow 2h and not alot of haste.
Edited by Melatine on 12/20/2010 5:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/20/2010 5:26 PMPosted by Melatine
yea they really need to make HoL's proc chance alot higher than 8% base before mastery, as well as make it a chance to proc off of any attack rather than just auto attacks.

same thing with AoW, they both really need to be chance off of any attack rather than just auto attacks.

and increasing DPs proc chance for those abilities just a tad may not hurt either, but really 40% isn't too bad, but the proc chance on HoL and AoW are very lacking especially because they are off auto attacks only.

because lets be serious, when spamming alot of abilities all the time your character doesn't even get alot of chances to auto attack especially with a slow 2h and not alot of haste.

That would help mastery but make zealotry weaker. Anything you do to improve mastery in it's current form undermines zealotry.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]