The Tao of Tanking

100 Orc Warrior
Nice article, I've been re-reading all the tanking threads here and there and this one is by far one of the most informational/true in my opinion. All classes, all players should read this.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
/Like
Great article!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
may be an old post but all up and coming tanks who didnt tank in classic need to read this. dps too. ty sceilence.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I appreciate this posting and wish I had read it when I started tanking last May. It provided an understanding of what I learned the hard way and the expectations people have on me during runs.

I like Lorkeon's opinion regarding CCers marking their own targets. Unfortunately, and although he wrote it in 2010, it still appears to be a new concept whenever I either tank or dps (ret or mage). I've tried marking targets while I was on my mage, but for the most part it only resulted in negative feedback. I have, however, received the occasional "thank you" from a tank.

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I know what you mean I always ask this and no one ever answers me, Cause no one wants to admit whos fault it was. If its me tell me and ill do something different.

12/22/2010 11:20 AMPosted by Sceilence
This is also why the tank asks the one question healers hate to hear after a wipe: “So, uh…what happened?” The inevitable response is: “Uh, you ran out of hit points?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
as a tank who hates wiping in heroics due to stupid stuff. i sincerely hope DPS read this :)

very good read and so true
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Fantastic article, a must read for all tanks. <DPS> Approved!!

Philosophy in this game needs to come more to the forefront and the idea that just because you are bottom man on the meter as a DPS doesn't mean you aren't doing your job, and some impatient tanks out there need to understand that.

I was in an End Time two days ago, in the middle of Murozond (?), and the tank initiated a kick vote on a guy, because his DPS was sucking. While I might be able to understand it half way thru a run, but not half way thru a boss. A random is just that, and that dude obviously needed the gear, so to vote to kick about 30sec before the gear drops and screw a guy out of rolls and points was beyond it to me.

The reason the guy had horrible DPS btw, was because he was dead half the time. The reason he was dead half the time was because the heals had to focus on the tank exclusively because he was squishy. The only reason I managed to stay up is because I was controlling the hourglass, and just before I was about to croak I reset it.
Edited by Victavious on 3/9/2012 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
This is a fantastic post. I think if every roll in the party had an understanding of what the others were doing there'd be much fewer wipes. As a tank I hold aggro so the healer only needs to heal 1 person at a time. As a dps (my other toon is an 85 mage) I try to help the tank with the tougher mob members, pick off any mobbers who go after the healer and stick it to the bosses when I get the chance to really unload. As a healer... well, I haven't had the balls to roll a healer yet.

And as for the dps envy, let's face it, a good tank and good healer can usually carry a group.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter

And as for the dps envy, let's face it, a good tank and good healer can usually carry a group.

Usually nothing, a group lives and dies on it's tanks and heals. The main reason I am envious is because if the tank goes down my bear usually can't live long enough to finish the boss, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Thx alot, this posting helps me in my tanking and as dps.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
The tank should pick up everything. The tank is a tank. end of story. your threat outdoes everyone elses. If you cant hold 4 mobs at a time, then you need to reevaluate your opening moves. its all about the presentation you know?
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Very helpful! i agree that a tanks role is a leader. I also feel that unfortunatley there arent alot of tanks or other classes for that matter that are willing to willing to take their own time to help someone out in game wether it be someone in their own guild or just a random tell. which a random tell can be annoying but still. i feel that not only should a tank in a guild take charge of a raid or dungeoun run but look within your guild at the lower level tanks and see if they need any help or advice. just remember todays newbs are possibly next months main tank for a raid. take the time to help the little guys out whatever class. and i know some ppl do not take advice very well. as long as you came across as trying to help and not just say" use this cookie cutter and these enchants and these gems" but tell why. if you try and give advice, and they give you an attitude at least you tried. but that one or two that took that advice and later down the road get compliments on how they tank or how they keep their dps on the tanks target and not agro, it was from your advice.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I dont know, sometimes the DPS deserve to be called stupid etc... yet many do not. Sometimes I think if there were no damage meters then the DPS might be more focused on just killing the enemies and helping the group. I do my best to help if the healer or tank if they are getting over their heads. Id like to think that while yes, I do pay attention to the meters, I also pay attention to whats happening and try to help the group live if i can. Tanking can be fun but it can also be a burden and a chore sometimes when people dont realize how stressful tanking can be.
Edited by Midnightsunn on 5/3/2012 12:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Wow, can't believe this is stickied even though the OP is derogatory to people calling them 'stupid !@#', etc.

Good information, rudely presented.

Actually, the information isn't even good. Anyone with a lick of common sense wouldn't need this 'guide'.TLDR Version:

1. Don't stand in fire.
2. Communicate with your group.

And the arrogance calling it the 'Tao' of Tanking shows nothing but the OP's arrogance.

The truth hurts, and if you really think most DPS have a "lick of common sense" you're sorely mistaken. Most of the time, they go around and you think "HOW DOES HE EVEN FUNCTION!?".
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Having rolled seemingly myriad healers in all four classes (not counting the monk yet, tyvm) and having rolled a couple of tankadins, I have come to be quite a connoisseur of tanks. Thankfully, the ones who range from good to great far outnumber the bad ones. But more than anything else, randoms are a great learning environment for team work. The group won't function well without it. In 5-mans, a strong group can accommodate one weaker member without any difficulty. But, every person generally needs to know their job and do it.

I respect DPS, and what it takes for them to do their job and I know the tank's job. Of course, one of our raid group tanks who also heals said it best though. He said that the healer has to pay attention all of the time and until he said that, it didn't occur to me.
Reply Quote
2 Undead Warlock
WORD!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Somehow, this coming from a tank who doesn't appear to understand how to properly even out ratings for dodge / parry and has only done DS normal once, I wouldn't call you the tao of anything. Sadly, this guide is horrible. If the tank can interrupt easily, as is most of the case, why have the dps take the time and resources to interrupt? If the dps pulls aggro, its not always their fault. Ive seen horrible tanks who blame the dps for pulling the boss off them, when it simply is all the tanks fault.

Over all, this guide should have been how to understand your dps, how to react to different situations, and not be a jerk to someone.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Awesome post!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I've got a pally and warrior alt that both are dps/tanks and I decided to look through the tanking forum. I can say that it is a good thing that HoTs came out. It helps new tanks not have to worry too much about threat from T13 geared rogues, mages, hunters. Occasionally on my druid (who heals) I'd get a decked out person who was farming JPs and they were super nice. Tanks if you want to be super awesome queue for a random cata dungeon every now and then and enjoy carrying your group through.

Good article
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]