The Tao of Tanking

100 Dwarf Warrior
Somehow, this coming from a tank who doesn't appear to understand how to properly even out ratings for dodge / parry and has only done DS normal once, I wouldn't call you the tao of anything. Sadly, this guide is horrible. If the tank can interrupt easily, as is most of the case, why have the dps take the time and resources to interrupt? If the dps pulls aggro, its not always their fault. Ive seen horrible tanks who blame the dps for pulling the boss off them, when it simply is all the tanks fault.

Over all, this guide should have been how to understand your dps, how to react to different situations, and not be a jerk to someone.

*dusting off character*

Did you notice that this was written in December of 2010? Yeah, that would be just shortly after Cataclysm launched. Things were different then. Steamrolling through Heroic 5-mans was not the norm, and there was a lot of complaining about how *hard* the dungeons were. They were hard because people were refusing to use CC and Interrupts, and were generally expecting to roll through them as they had in Wrath.

As to your attack on my own character, I can only laugh. I don't raid. I have not raided since 3.1 dropped. I've said this many, many times, even in this thread. The only reason I have any raid clears in Cata content is because my guild was down a tank a couple of nights when I happened to be on, so I went.

I do, however, run a lot of 5-man dungeons. Since this guide is geared toward 5-man content, I cannot fathom why you would deem it necessary to question the content of the post based on my current raiding experience. If your retort has something to do with my never having specified that this is for 5-man content, I can only suggest that your ability to interpret written text is perhaps a bit lacking; nowhere in this post do I make any statements about tanking raids.

Up until the Dragon Soul patch, I did balance my stats. Once I had access to 397 gear, I stopped caring as much. I can easily tank the content that I'm interested in tanking, without causing any undue stress to healers or DPS. Squeezing out an additional 0.02% avoidance isn't worth the trouble from my perspective.

As to what this guide "should have been about", I can only point out, again, that this was written at a different time in the game. I did, in fact, point out that the Overbearing Jerk mentality of many tanks is not helpful. This post was written to provide some insight into the philosophical stance of tanking and is based entirely on my own perspective and experience. Several people, at the original time of its writing, disagreed with certain points I made. I even revised it to reflect some of their opinions. However, many, many, many more have generally agreed with the overall message of the post.

As we move into Mists, tanking is changing dramatically. My suspicion is that the learning curve is going to be pretty brutal, and the gap between good tanks and bad tanks is going to become even larger. There will be a general outcry, expressed in "Dear Tanks" threads here in this forum. At that point, revisiting this post may be a bit more beneficial. I'm imagining that the core tenets of this post will be maintained when Mists drops: the 5-man dungeons will no longer be steamrolled, and people will need to work together and use all of their tools for CC and interrupting.

For my part, I'll be experiencing Mists as a Shaman, if at all. So when the expansion drops, you go ahead and feel free to write your own version of this thread, you know...how it "should be". And if it's good, I'll support it, based on the content of the post. I won't even dig through your armory to find things that are completely irrelevant to that content to nitpick about.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Even for how old this post is, I thought it was a good read and still prevalent to how most tanks feel when they are in a group today. Thanks for the post.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
God I love this post. I belive that everyone in there guilds repost this on there threads,, Tanks do it for the group, And we have complete control of how things go. Healers just heal and dps just do your dmg, Tanks are the leaders of the group.. Listen to the tank and dont give them bs.. Unless there baddie,
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I have two tanks, and two healers. Love that someone took the time to put that out there.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Regardless of the original posting date, you presented great information that ALL players should read prior to going on any 5+ man's or raids. I have tanked, healed, and DPS' the early days and the game has evolved (some good, some bad imho) As you stated, this is a social game. Sadly, some individual's view their stats as the end all of the game and fail to comprehend the term "social game".

Regardless of what position one plays it is important to remember that you are "suppose to be" a team! I think having played in all positions allowed me to become a better player because I have "worn the other guys shoes". The greatest problem I have found are the guys/gals, who "know all" about their position (and yours), yet refuse to accept responsibility or accountability for their screw-ups. For example, as a healer I hated hearing the tank crying I didn't keep up heals while he/she pulled multiple mobs, or constantly ran from one mob to another without allowing me to manna up. Oh ya, and one of my favorites, pulling to much aggro while the tank pulled none....go figure! As a tank, the DPS guys (who thought they were a tank) refusing to see if the group was ready, charged from mob to mob, pulling everything in the room, and then blame me for the wipe. Yup, time to look for another group.

Overall, loved the article and look forward to reading the updated version to fit Mist
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
“If the tank dies, it’s the healer’s fault. If the healer dies, it’s the tank’s fault. If the DPS dies, it’s their own fault.”
– Alexander the Great (or someone like him)

I totally disagree: tank pull when healer mana is oom, then tank die. It is the fault of tank. DPS die when tank pull so many mobs that cause great AOE damage that healer is impossible to heal.

Good tank is rare, but they are very important. I play tank too.

Tank is not always the so-called leader, dps can be leader too. Tank just start the pulling. Tank not always need to know what to do, he can ask dps first. Dps not jz only do the jobs said by OP, but also need to do some of the so-called tank duties written by OP. DPS must also know the fight same as tank, take care of other roles.

DPS need to Cc not asked by tank, they can do it without tank. Very rare tanks know every fight. Many dps know the fight better than tanks.

If all roles just do what written by OP, a successful raid is not easy.

Anyway, OP just wrote in the perspective of tank, OP is a good and rare TANK that do his / her job well.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
This guide is still full of win in 5.0.
Reply Quote
Why is this a sticky? Zero info, just a rant from someone who plays way too much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good read, author makes a good amount of substantial points. :D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Serious props! Very well done, honeslty I am a tank at heart. I've played ever tanking class available and some thing like this is a very good read for everyone, those new and old to tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks, as a long time tank, I can truly appreciate this article. One point that I truly agree with is thanking the healer and hell even defending them when some d bag dps bad mouths them after a wipe. To all the healers out there, I say thank you. To all the other tanks out there, I say Leeroy!!! And for everyone one else Lok'tar Ogar biotches :D
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Thanks for the posting Sceilence. I've played since BC and I've played all 3 rolls (healer thru Wrath, then DPS in Cata, and now moving to tank) and I think you hit the nail on he head with every word you wrote. Many thanks to you and to those like you (in any roll) who bring teamwork, etiquette, sportsmanship, and fun to the game.

~Mid
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
This is my Forth tank I've had since launch, I still learned a lot from this. Hope you're still around in the World......of Warcraft.
Reply Quote
64 Orc Warrior
This is an awesome thread, well written and still highly relevant. I've played wow for 5 yrs now, ALL-DPS until now, This is my first attempt at tanking. It's been going well so far, as expected at such low level. I will implement this thread into my playstyle. Thanks! ^_^
Reply Quote
66 Night Elf Druid
10/20/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Wangspin
Why is this a sticky? Zero info, just a rant from someone who plays way too much.

You are the typical type of mouthbreathing baddie who doesn't understand that everyone has a role to play. If everyone followed the instructions in the OP's post all the "LF" instances would be more enjoyable and efficient. Go back to being a bad player, just play another MMO please.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Tao of Tanking is a great post. Something that more people should embrace.

I think we as a community should take up the idea, that we as players should be more thoughtful in our play.

Kudos to the OP :)
Edited by Zupan on 12/12/2012 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Great post, I usually don't read this kind of wall of text, but became so interesting as it was developing, I felt sooo related to some topics, perspectives still quite the same (I actually realized it was from the beggining of cata after reading most of it).

Congratz Sceilence, I'd like to see you going back to the tanking bizz.

PS: +1 on this Mitosis (epic nick btw)
12/03/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Mitosis

You are the typical type of mouthbreathing baddie who doesn't understand that everyone has a role to play. If everyone followed the instructions in the OP's post all the "LF" instances would be more enjoyable and efficient. Go back to being a bad player, just play another MMO please.
Reply Quote
36 Draenei Paladin
Thats the best summary of game play I've ever Read Thank You
Reply Quote
87 Pandaren Priest
Great read! This is very insightful, even as a healer who's never tanked. Just a really intelligent read overall.

Everyone bashes on each other's roles, but we clearly could not do anything without everyone doing their bit. The negative stereotypes that tanks are bullies, healers are victims and dps are morons are very unhelpful when working as a team.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
What a read!! Wonderfull! Loved the way you wrote that!
Very amusing xD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]