The Tao of Tanking

90 Orc Death Knight
tys
So long as the fundamentals of 5 mans do not change, this will remain a relevant post.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I realize that this is an older thread...but awesome!!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Keep this thread alive!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
/does part to keep a good thread alive even if the current content is faceroll and there wont be new 5mans apparently
Reply Quote
As a noob here it didn't take long to find out that a tank who is deliberate in their task creates the most enjoyment for the group...slow in fast out indeed....kudos to the OP......
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Great read - the words still ring true! Keep the thread alive!

(Proud Prot Warrior!)
Reply Quote
45 Night Elf Druid
OWN
As a healer I'd like to hug you.
Reply Quote
60 Human Paladin
Since Mists dropped and we've had an influx of newbies, what are your suggestions on DPS who will not stop pulling?
Reply Quote
94 Draenei Monk
So here's another thing I try to do as a tank. In addition to providing leadership I try to provide positive reinforcement to the rest of my group. If someone screws up and apologizes for it my response is "hey, no worries. I've done that before". If someone does something awesome to help the group out--selflessly picks up something I missed and brings it to me--I thank them, "thanks for the pickup there". I ALWAYS thank my healer at the end, "Awesome heals, I appreciate it". Finally I thank the group "Great job everyone, thanks for the smooth run".

If someone is struggling--especially my healer I whisper them to see what I can do to help them out. I will often check with my healer a few pulls into the run "How's the pace? Faster? Slower?" and "mana break?". Invariably they thank me for checking and my response is "hey, no problem--I work for YOU."

Most of all I acknowledge my mistakes openly. Being willing to talk about that helps other people stay out of a defensive mindset. The only time I've ever kicked (or tried to kick) someone is when they're being negative and hostile. If someone isn't getting the mechanics and is struggling I'll offer advice and encouragement. As long as they aren't obviously doing it to be a jerk I'll work with them. DPS spend craploads of times in the queues so kicking them for low dps or failure to not standing the colorful junk on the floor--that's just mean spirited.

I've found that this sets a positive tone for the run and often results in several runs in a row with the same group. I think of the effort as glue to hold the group together. I realize it might sound cheesy and touchy/feely but it's paid off for me.
Edited by Laallia on 7/2/2013 9:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Laallia, you are a gem. :)

That's one thing I've learned in LFR - staying positive is key. If a boss attempt goes bad, find out what happened, make sure everyone's regrouped and ready, and try to keep people from tearing each other's faces off. People in the group pointing fingers, especially in a rude fashion, does nothing but make other people defensive and upsets morale overall. Being encouraging and supportive, on the other hand, can usually help address the problem successfully and helps put the group at ease that perfection isn't being demanded of them.

I also think, like the brilliant OP, that the tanks are essentially the ones leading the group. However, what some other tanks don't understand is that leadership is both a power and a responsibility. Tanks that start spouting off about how 'if you don't like it, I quit. Enjoy the hour queue' or start blaming everyone for a misstep are a mark of shame upon our role. You can't do it alone, just like the healers and DPS can't. It's a team effort - all you're doing is conducting. Ever see a conductor without an orchestra? Looks pretty silly. :D

Take pride in your role. Learn to perform it well enough to protect and guide the group. Don't let anyone mock you for caring about the group's morale or not using the latest build if you can do your job well. We are the vanguard. We are the shield. We...are tanks.

SUMMON THE EAGLES!
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
dps in heals are a dime a dozen kick them if they pull or just leave like I do
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Take pride in your role. Learn to perform it well enough to protect and guide the group. Don't let anyone mock you for caring about the group's morale or not using the latest build if you can do your job well. We are the vanguard. We are the shield. We...are tanks.

SUMMON THE EAGLES!

love this.
Reply Quote
91 Troll Druid
Tank. Raid Leader. Guild Master.

I have preformed all of these roles (and most times still do.)

Perhaps this is just me, but I also believe that group morale is one of the big keys to success.
The others being Awareness, Intelligence, and Skill. A selfless attitude towards your party, and a willingness to teach those who are ignorant in the ways of boss mechanics is sometimes all it takes to get that damned boss to vomit out his loot table for sweet purpz. ;)

"Praise your players for doing well, admonish them for being stupid, laugh about the dumb moments over the bosses corpse or chest thereof."

The importance of establishing some form of camaraderie within your core is crucial to success, and can mean the difference between slamming your face into your keyboard and happily hearthing back to Shrine with your shiny new items ready to be gemmed, enchanted and reforged.

That being said, I've always believed that the best tanks have played from every perspective. Tank, Melee, Ranged, Healer, Caster. (Yes I believe that Ranged and Casters are different, sue me. I'll join your side when I see a Hunter cast a frostbolt.)

It was mentioned in this topic two years prior that a Tank should know how to properly utilize his toolbox, and he should. A well rounded Tank understands the limits of his group based on prior experience with other classes and roles he has played. He knows what buffs are present, what CDs can be used, which defensives can be utilized, and in my case knowing when everyones Cd's are...well... off CD. Being a Tank requires a heightened amount of situational awareness that simply is not demanded of other roles, and therefore should be approached with a certain mindset.

"I will lead this group to victory even if it breaks me."

We ARE the iron wall between life and death. We ARE the pillars of the Core.

We Tank, therefore we are.
Edited by Ursai on 12/2/2013 2:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Tank. Raid Leader. Guild Master.

I have preformed all of these roles (and most times still do.)

Perhaps this is just me, but I also believe that group morale is one of the big keys to success.
The others being Awareness, Intelligence, and Skill. A selfless attitude towards your party, and a willingness to teach those who are ignorant in the ways of boss mechanics is sometimes all it takes to get that damned boss to vomit out his loot table for sweet purpz. ;)

"Praise your players for doing well, admonish them for being stupid, laugh about the dumb moments over the bosses corpse or chest thereof."

The importance of establishing some form of camaraderie within your core is crucial to success, and can mean the difference between slamming your face into your keyboard and happily hearthing back to Shrine with your shiny new items ready to be gemmed, enchanted and reforged.

That being said, I've always believed that the best tanks have played from every perspective. Tank, Melee, Ranged, Healer, Caster. (Yes I believe that Ranged and Casters are different, sue me. I'll join your side when I see a Hunter cast a frostbolt.)

It was mentioned in this topic two years prior that a Tank should know how to properly utilize his toolbox, and he should. A well rounded Tank understands the limits of his group based on prior experience with other classes and roles he has played. He knows what buffs are present, what CDs can be used, which defensives can be utilized, and in my case knowing when everyones Cd's are...well... off CD. Being a Tank requires a heightened amount of situational awareness that simply is not demanded of other roles, and therefore should be approached with a certain mindset.

"I will lead this group to victory even if it breaks me."

We ARE the iron wall between life and death. We ARE the pillars of the Core.

We Tank, therefore we are.

Well said.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
I prefer a more sideline approach, a watch the world burn kinda gig. I know my class and how to play it. I don't go out of my way to teach others. That's a self progression thing. And as far as being a "leader in 5mans." those days are long gone since 5mans are now face roll and require almost 0 communication from the group.

And you can encourage or motivate till your blue in the face, if someone fails at mechanics they fail at mechanics. the way she rolls.
Edited by Devâstate on 12/2/2013 11:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
91 Troll Druid
I prefer a more sideline approach, a watch the world burn kinda gig. I know my class and how to play it. I don't go out of my way to teach others. That's a self progression thing. And as far as being a "leader in 5mans." those days are long gone since 5mans are now face roll and require almost 0 communication from the group.

And you can encourage or motivate till your blue in the face, if someone fails at mechanics they fail at mechanics. the way she rolls.

This way of thinking is a part of the problem. This is a social game. It never has been and likely never will be geared toward a solo playstyle. There is no "I" in team. And, ironically, there is no "I" in World of Warcraft either. This is the story of MMO's. With this in mind, if you don't care how well others are playing, you will never succeed here. 5 mans aside (because I agree that this no longer truly applies once you enter the raid tier) if all you have to say is, "Well you guys messed up, let's just pull again and hope that you can practice this little thing called 'self progression' and get better without any assistance from someone who may know better than you." Then you will never progress, bosses will never die, and your group will grow to despise you. Even though they may not understand why.

That being said, if your a decent tank at all you take responsibility for your group by attempting to improve their skills. Unless of course you don't like progressing at all.

Though your item level would suggest differently.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Well put Sceilence. When a player decides to step above the numbers charts, and shoulder the responsibility, you get a tank.
Reply Quote
Something I thought to add from my own experience. Sometimes a tank may address someone by their class instead of their name, especially in situations that are moving fast etc. We don't do this out of a desire to belittle anyone, it's simply faster than attempting to pronounce a lot of the names that exist. This happens predominately in pugs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]