Just tried Retribution, and...

On a lucky proc streak? Sure. Standard, consistent DPS? Hell no, you will not keep up with a survival hunter or a Fire mage.

What have you been playing against? BM and Frost?

BM, MM, or Arcane. Those we actually beat, judging by the logs, along with Sub rogues (though the number of parses with subs is way too small to give a useful sample) and Arms. Oh, that's on the Baradin Hold boss, which is a demon, and thus inflates our DPS. Good times.

Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/22/2010 10:05 PMPosted by Sahar
Eh it's really not as bad as most people make it out to be.

It really isn't.

It needs a few tweaks, but that's it. Tweaks. I'd say the majority of the complaining on these boards stems from an inability to play with the new higher skill cap system.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
12/23/2010 3:32 AMPosted by Sharrow

On a lucky proc streak? Sure. Standard, consistent DPS? Hell no, you will not keep up with a survival hunter or a Fire mage.

What have you been playing against? BM and Frost?

BM, MM, or Arcane. Those we actually beat, judging by the logs, along with Sub rogues (though the number of parses with subs is way too small to give a useful sample) and Arms. Oh, that's on the Baradin Hold boss, which is a demon, and thus inflates our DPS. Good times.

lol @ MM hunters. try to beat a good survival hunter, and you will be left dead in the water
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret is my off-spec and I only use it for solo play (since I can no longer solo anything holy wothout going oom) but it plays like a watered down arms warrior now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/23/2010 3:44 AMPosted by Holydisciple
Ret is my off-spec and I only use it for solo play (since I can no longer solo anything holy wothout going oom) but it plays like a watered down arms warrior now.

Last I checked a Ret Pally and an Arms Warrior working together is better than 2 arms warriors.

The obvious reason why is what makes Ret different from arms and better in certain ways.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Ret is broken sure, but what pallies really need is a SLOWING ABILITY! yea we have seal of justice but it doesn't tell you how much it slows them by, could be, "decreases movement speed by 5%" yea really usefull... and we have no increases in speed, unless you role that PoS spec we call ret and put points in judgement thingy and increase you speed by 40% for what, 5 seconds is it?

idk care about ret anymore i prot pvp and i hit harder then what ret ever could, to make ret good you need to use wings but oh... what was that? it got spell stolen by a mage b4 i even popped it or purged by shaman. oh that sucks, now i have to wait 2 mins to get a kill, ill just afk until it cools down. /sleep

and HoF (hand of freedom) is pretty good exept that it lasts for as long as a 1980s battery. and you just get super slowed again and cant do anything except get off your target that needs to go down first, and go the melee that is slowing you while the caster can just @*%# you.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/23/2010 3:58 AMPosted by Wompastomp
Ret is broken sure, but what pallies really need is a SLOWING ABILITY! yea we have seal of justice but it doesn't tell you how much it slows them by, could be, "decreases movement speed by 5%" yea really usefull... and we have no increases in speed, unless you role that PoS spec we call ret and put points in judgement thingy and increase you speed by 40% for what, 5 seconds is it?

idk care about ret anymore i prot pvp and i hit harder then what ret ever could, to make ret good you need to use wings but oh... what was that? it got spell stolen by a mage b4 i even popped it or purged by shaman. oh that sucks, now i have to wait 2 mins to get a kill, ill just afk until it cools down. /sleep

and HoF (hand of freedom) is pretty good exept that it lasts for as long as a 1980s battery. and you just get super slowed again and cant do anything except get off your target that needs to go down first, and go the melee that is slowing you while the caster can just @*%# you.

Prots are so easily snared and controlled in PvP it's laughable. Outside of avenger's shield their damage and offensive pressure is pathetic. They don't have ret's short cooldown interrupt, repentance, or Acts of Sacrifice.

Prot only seems good to people who care about winning duels or 2v2 arena. In the PvP that matters now, Ret is still better if you know what you're doing.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/22/2010 10:43 PMPosted by Bravehearth
DPS isn't the issue for most people, it's all the damned RNG. Building up 3 holy power so we can hit our big signature move...oh wait, art of war procced, better hit Exorcism first because it hits harder. Alright SWEET I can now hit my signature move..no wait, Inquisition is about to fall off, better hit that. Oh awesome, a hand of light proc, I can FINALLY hit templar's verdict again...oh damn, the boss just went under 20% so i better hit hammer of wrath first because it hits harder. Oh, now I can hit Templar's Verdict...but wait, Zeoltry is off cooldown! This will be awesome! Crusader Strike...Templa....no wait, art of war proc, gotta hit that first...oh another art of war proc...oh hammer of wrath is off cooldown...HAND OF LIGHT PROC...wow I can hit templar's verdict twice in a row...crusader strike...Oops, better refresh my inquisition lololol.

WTF? You must be epic lucky. I wish AoW procced that much. Btw, if it did you should have NO trouble topping single target DPS. And you're doing it wrong to begin with. WTF is Inquisition? NOTHING. Templars Verdict should always be your number 1 skill. NOT Inquisition. I only pop Inquistion during my Cooldown Bombing (Where i pop Zealotry THEN Inq) also, I never use Exco over Templars either. If your Exco hits harder then 30k please tell me how. Cuz mine hits for like 15 on a crit. Anytime you have 3 HP use Templars. Even if Exco is up. Even if hand of light is up. Double Templars THEN Exco. Unless you can't hit the same button twice in 3 seconds before the proc on AoW runs out.

Regardless, I have no trouble doing 10k dps on Average and getting up to 15k on bosses. I out DPS hunters and mages in single target battles.

Granted our AoE is lame...Who cares? If you want AoE roll a warrior and spam cleaves. They do retarded amount of DPS. Otherwise relearn Ret. It's not face-roll win anymore.

P.s. Divine storm is junk unless used on more then 10 mobs.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
DPS is not the issue for me. But in pvp I dont care who you are I have yet to see a ret pally do good sure 1 on 1 i can stand a chance but there is to much to focus on regardless of addons to be able to do any good in BG's
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I'm gonna say it's because BGs arn't 1on1?

Get a group, roll with healers and dispels. Or get steam rolled in bad pugs with no healers and casters who don't even know how to dispel.

Everyone acts like pallies should be able to Judge some mage, catch him, blow him up, Judge some hunter shooting him, catch him, blow him up, rinse and repeat on each class.

NO. That would be OP :) If we stood a chance against 10 people by our selves we'd be OP. 1on1 sure we can get people. 2on1...Eh maybe. 3on1? Your pushing it, stop QQing about it. GET friends who BG, or re-roll ranged. We all know how OP they are :)
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
It has nothing to do with the team mates it has to do with to many things that you have to pay attention to! Yeah great a good healer will keep you alive but the fact still remains while your looking through different moves and there all proccing your looking at the mean while your target is bouncing all over the place (not suffering the penalty of actually having to pay attention to proc's no where near as much) He can actually pay attention to the person hes hitting. And if you say you can do it go ahead get ur guild together a film it as ret and prove me wrong!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/23/2010 1:10 AMPosted by Laotze
PVE ret pally dps is mediocre. You can generate decent dps at the start of a boss fight but it slowly goes down. PVP ret pally is terrible, absolutely terrible. Inquisition, zealotry, avenging wrath can be dispelled. that is basically all of the ret pally's burst dps.

Actually, ret pvp is pretty damn awesome... Stop using inquisition so much unless you have the HP and time to waste on it. You're better off getting in a TV or a WoG. Word of Glory is one of the best tool I have available to me. Ret has A LOT of survivability if you play it right.

Maybe it's harder for all the other races, but as a Blood Elf (arcane torrent), I don't have problems with most of the classes.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/23/2010 4:28 AMPosted by Suprng
doing it wrong.

Says the anonymous troll

12/23/2010 4:30 AMPosted by Shuzer
It has nothing to do with the team mates it has to do with to many things that you have to pay attention to! Yeah great a good healer will keep you alive but the fact still remains while your looking through different moves and there all proccing your looking at the mean while your target is bouncing all over the place (not suffering the penalty of actually having to pay attention to proc's no where near as much) He can actually pay attention to the person hes hitting. And if you say you can do it go ahead get ur guild together a film it as ret and prove me wrong!

If you need to look at your Hotbars to play still...L2hotkey better. Forget Inquistion, it's JUNK. Stop using it unless you're using Zeal. I swear to you, keeping it up like a DoT is worthless and proves your just a Pally who spams his CDs to kill people.

Actually, ret pvp is pretty damn awesome... Stop using inquisition so much unless you have the HP and time to waste on it. You're better off getting in a TV or a WoG. Word of Glory is one of the best tool I have available to me. Ret has A LOT of survivability if you play it right.

Maybe it's harder for all the other races, but as a Blood Elf (arcane torrent), I don't have problems with most of the classes.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

If you don't believe me, believe him =[ His avatar speaks for itself.

Let's say you use WASD for movement (the majority do). Let's put JUDGE on 1, STRIKE on 2, TEMPLARS on 3. Epic! Now Let's make 4 EXCO and turn E into Rebuke(why not?) turn Q into nearest target or assist target or w/e you use (cuz clicking targets is fail). Let's make F Consecration (herp derp who uses this?) Holy Wrath on R. Hurray! Melee is bound to your keyboard! Cooldowns? Z (wings) X (Zeal) C (Guardian) V (Inquis). Now you're ready to never have to look at your hotbars again! Unless you need to use items (And even then I dont...) Or to Mount up (still...I dont) I didn't bind healing spells cuz you dont seem to care for that.

Here's a template sort it out how you like!

EDIT - Wait...You're not even lvl 85 on that Pally. I hope you're not pvping with THAT pally. You do realize 90% of the people will have at least DOUBLE your HP and 10x your stopping power?
Edited by Alunix on 12/23/2010 4:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
95 Human Paladin
Been leveling prot dps, because I liked pvping that way in Wrath. I'm on a PvP server.

Got a nice blue quest 2h, tried ret. Practiced on a dummy to figure out the whole CS...judge...CS...filler or proc quasi-rotation. Noticed about a 20% sustained dps increase.

Ventured out into the world.

Got stomped immediately in the first PvP encounter.

Switched back to prot, tracked him down and killed him twice.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/23/2010 4:53 AMPosted by Suprng
Says the anonymous troll

Says any ret with half a clue.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Going to quote Shoopuf here, your highest rating is 1557, my cat has a more relevant opinion on pvp.

Ratings reset to 1500, pal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]