The Ultimate PvE Guide - All Specs (4.3)

(Locked)

85 Troll Mage
QQQQQQQQQQ lost my whole post, ok lets try this again.

@Fureur
I just ran a sim on a 359 geared fire mage; sp = 2.33, crit = 2.23, haste = 1.2, mastery =1.3

28 sp = 65.24
50 haste = 60
50 mastery = 65
65 mastery = 84.5
I would not use the 28 SP simply because it's old world and looks bad. If SP starts to climb ahead of the other stats any further, using the SP enchant would be recommended until you get 65 mastery.

That 9% dot damage effects FB's crit's ignites and FFB's dot. I would assume the FFB dot is affected more so, but I would say that all this does is bring FFB closer to FB. Adding this buff I don't think changes much at all, relatively, so the answer remains "personal preference."

@Marrtyr
I'm interested to see this.

@Muzzle
At this point, I would say that personal skill outweighs the minor class imbalance. Arcane is bad, but you should be able to top meters with both fire or frost if you own and the other people just play average or whatever; you know your normal pug.

@Aurlock
What Marrtyr said.

@aldrea
NP!
90 Undead Mage
XII
Thank you very much for taking the time to keeping us all well informed.

Bump for Sticky!!!
85 Goblin Mage
Ok, im not sure if this came up yet, tried to read whole but might've missed some.

Is the reason some mages still are going with int / max mana meta have any good reason for it, possibly since they get a lot of sp from meta itself and no blue req + mana? (which imo shouldn't be a big problem for fire or frost mages) or are they just being lazy since they are still used to the whole 40 int gems in everything?
thank you larcix!
85 Human Mage
Is the reason some mages still are going with int / max mana meta have any good reason for it, possibly since they get a lot of sp from meta itself and no blue req + mana? (which imo shouldn't be a big problem for fire or frost mages) or are they just being lazy since they are still used to the whole 40 int gems in everything?

I answered this on EJ. The answer is explained in the meta-gem section which says

"Ultimately, we'll be using the Chaotic Shadowspirit Diamond Metagem. However, the current requirements (More Blue than Red) are not worth the extensive gem/re-socketing tricks required for activation. Blizzard intends to revert the requirements in a future patch (Back to more Red than Blue). In the meantime, you can temporarily use the Ember Shadowspirit Diamond Metagem instead. If that is too rare/expensive currently on your server, the WOTLK version will suffice for now: Ember Skyflare Diamond "

Basically, the current +int metagem is a temporary placement until the meta-gem requirements are switched.

Basically, if you have decent gear now - you could have up to 7-10 sockets. You'll lose too much +int if you try to use the Chaotic gem (with the current requirements) and it's not worth the int loss. If you somehow only have 1 socket on gear (aka your gear is terrible) you could still use the chaotic gem now.
Edited by Tyrian on 1/3/2011 7:16 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Mage
For the minor glyphs I take Glyph of Mirror Image instead of conjuring. Conjuring doesnt cost much mana and you mage armor restores your mana. The mirror image glyph for arcane makes it so your images cast AB and their AB stacks also.
Edited by Nimbulan on 1/4/2011 4:02 AM PST
85 Dwarf Mage
01/04/2011 3:32 AMPosted by Nimbulan
For the minor glyphs I take Glyph of Mirror Image instead of conjuring. Conjuring doesnt cost much mana and you can always use some of it to restore your mana. The mirror image glyph for arcane makes it so your images cast AB and their AB stacks also.

Cnjuring is more for creating a new mana gem if a fight lasts for 6+ min.

Its been months since i have seen it, but i thought mirror immage glyph was a slight dps loss, since the mirrors wont fireblast anymore.
85 Troll Mage
Does someone have a DPS value for the 3% crit damage?
Glossary: DoT - Damage over Time

Also, I disagree with Mirror Images being strictly a threat dump. Yes, it's awesome for this, but it also deals a great amount of damage for a single GCD.
85 Troll Mage
But there will always be a time during a fight where being able to ignore threat will up your damage done, even if it's only during the very beginning of a fight. One of it's best uses though is going all out crazy with cooldowns during boss abilities and being able to invis away all your threat when it's over.
85 Orc Mage
great info well done, thanks
I'd like to see the numbers ya got on ur sims for having the Worgen and Draenei out dpsing the Gnomes Larcix? They have more int and mana?
85 Troll Mage
01/06/2011 10:36 AMPosted by Menas
I'd like to see the numbers ya got on ur sims for having the Worgen and Draenei out dpsing the Gnomes Larcix? They have more int and mana?

Page 3, post 41 for horde, 42 for alliance.

No sims, garbage napkin math. I requested for a sim or some better math people to get me some better numbers, but until that happens, my math will have to suffice.
What's the dps like per each spec for comparison?
85 Troll Mage
in general,

fire > frost >> arcane
90 Blood Elf Mage
12/24/2010 9:18 PMPosted by Larcix
FFB is supposed to be equal to FB when either is properly glyphed, but that wasn't working pre 4.0.3a, and I haven't heard that it's been fixed; use Fireball.

last time i checked my fireball was hitting at 7700 at 85 and frostfire bolt was at around 8100. I dont see how it wasnt working pre 4.0.3, its was fine for me
85 Troll Mage
The thing that wasn't working was the DoT portion of FFB. That does work now though, I'll update that.
85 Worgen Mage
I'm an arcane mage and I plan to stay that way even though my dps is comparatively weak versus fire. I give the raid arcane tactics and I help our fire mage with focus magic. My hope is that Blizzard will fix the issues concerning Arcane dps soon, so I don't have to worry about re-gearing/re-forging for a fire spec.

Currently I'm gemmed with as much int as possible while still gaining socket bonuses, and I'm using two int trinkets: One is the heroic Witching Hourglass, and the other is Tyrande's Favorite Doll. I reforge into hit as much as I can (rest goes into haste), but that all brings me up 2% short at 15% hit rating. Anyway my question involves the trinket slots. I have the option of picking up the epic hit trinket off the Tol Barad rep faction, but everything I've been reading suggests a mage should never sacrifice int for hit. So I can either keep saving my trinket slots for double int stats (eventually getting another epic int trinket in Twilight Bastion), or I can EASILY reach hit cap using one epic hit trinket and freeing up a few reforges in the process. What's the best way to go?

85 Troll Mage
Like you already know, don't give up int for hit. Check the procs tho, and see if the hit one has a significantly better proc/thing. Int isn't too much better than hit. Its like int = 3.5, and hit = 2.5 or something.

Also, arcane will be buffed within a patch, so you can soon use your baby without fear of retaliation from min/maxers. However, I would highly recommend trying both fire and frost in pve, as they are both fun specs to play, and see if either appeals to you. I'm excited to try arcane when it gets buffed, but I'm enjoying fire and frost for now and I'll keep it this way until arcane gets buffed.
85 Worgen Mage
Going fire isn't really an option for me right now. We've already got a fire mage in the raid, and my arcane tactics buff is the only 3% increased damage bonus going in the raid. Besides, my DPS wasn't terrible last raid. I managed to beat the fire mage on the twin dragons fight, though I had an advantage of standing in the melee group so I didn't have to move as much.

Anyway, my only concern was how to deal with the trinket slots and what the best combo would be in them.

This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]