To the DPS who don't know how threat works...

10 Dwarf Shaman
Let me get straight to the point.

THIS IS NOT WOTLK ANYMORE.

Threat has been reworked from last expansion, it's harder to maintain now. I can't thunderclap and shockwave and then go make a sandwich to return to my warrior still holding aggro. For some reason, 90% of the people who do this, are mages with big E-peens because they pull numbers on their recount charts. I had one terrible mage Mirror Image while my heroic throw was flying through the air, and nuking the mob as much as possible before 2 GCD's. This lead to "Hold aggro pl0x" and "Omg bad tank is bad" along with 50 other phrases straight from 4chan.

This has happened at least 2379 times. I'm not a bad tank, i've tanked BRD and BT, I know how to play my class and I do it damn well. I'm just not going to put 500% of my effort trying to hold aggro for DPS who don't know how to let me hold aggro. i'm going to repeat this.

I'M NOT GOING TO PUT 500% OF MY EFFORT TRYING TO HOLD AGGRO FOR DPS WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO LET ME HOLD AGGRO.

You guys wait to get into dungeons for like what, 45 minutes? Why would you ##@# all over the tank for you not knowing the math and basics of threat mechanics?

So please DPS, i'm going to put this into words that even the dumbest of you guys can't even screw up.

COUNT TO 3 ELEPHANTS BEFORE YOU START DPSING.

P.S Yes i'm mad, yes this is a QQ, but maybe some of you idiots who pleasure yourselves to your dps charts will read this. Too all the DPS who actually give the tanks time to pick things up, Thanks for knowing how to play, you're the reason why i love to tank.
Edited by Bruxly on 12/25/2010 9:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
82 Undead Warlock
Thanks bro. You've educated so many people, and made the LFD system better for us all. Somebody get this guy a ribbon.

edit: Jk, you suck. Gtfo please.
Edited by Malatia on 12/25/2010 9:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
If I get agro from a few ticks of Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch on an off target, that's your problem as a tank.

Or if my standard rotation pulls agro on the main target. If either of these is happening, your methods of threat generation are off, really off.
Edited by Kiora on 12/25/2010 9:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
r u mad bro?

tell it to your group
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Bro you mad?

Anyway if i pull agro from my melee auto attacks while stacking up sunder in prep on a boss fight giving you a full 15 seconds for you to gain threat, and i pull threat withing a few seconds after starting my rotation.

L2tank
Reply Quote
1 Undead Mage
This thread is bad. You probably are too.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Since 3.3 launched and the new LFG tool was introduced, people everywhere have experienced a bad pug and taken it upon themselves to "educate" the various roles. They rush to the tanking forums, the healing forums, or the damage dealing forums and promptly start pissing in the proverbial wind.

All three role forums have been treated to such thread titles as "dear healers from your tank", "dear tanks from your healer", "dear damage dealers" and every variation in between. We get it, it's adorable that you have anointed yourself the educator of the masses but that isn't what these forums are for..... and it's getting old.

/Brochai
Reply Quote
58 Human Paladin
Nice green bruh.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
If you have some thing to say to the people in your group, say it to the people in your group.
Reply Quote
87 Orc Warrior
OP
There are just as many tanks who dont know how threat works as there are dps
Reply Quote

You know how you can tell a bad tank from a good one?

Bad ones ask you to wait before DPSing.
Good ones ensure you never have to stop, regardless of either of yours' TPS.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
12/25/2010 9:55 AMPosted by Tashre

Seriously. With my guild's tanks, I can start casting my first spell right as he's pulling and don't have to worry about a thing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
12/25/2010 9:55 AMPosted by Tashre

I can guarantee you that, given equal gear, any DPS that wants to pull aggro from a tank can do so; regardless of how good that tank may or may not be.

There's a distinct difference between being able to start right away, and using all of your cooldowns within the first 5 seconds.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
12/25/2010 9:04 AMPosted by Bruxly
I had one terrible mage Mirror Image while my heroic throw was flying through the air, and nuking the mob as much as possible before 2 GCD's.

This line is funny because you don't know how Mirror Image works
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
You are right, its not WotLK anymore.

But your mentality is exactly why threat is a problem now.

You think that since you cant "hit a mob, then go get a sandwhich" the DPS need to slow down. But, since when did DPS need to take ownership of your job? If the mechanics changed... you need to change your approach, rotation, playstyle. Now you dont get to go make a sandwhich, bud. Now you need to step your game up.

And mages are middle-of-the-pack at best on DPS charts. This isnt pre-Cata Arcane Spamming any more. Times have changed, evolve your tanking skill.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I don't like blizzard's unfriendly-ness to melee in cat to start! but for some reason, stopping dps every time the mob reaches 25% health seems counter-productive... it seems like DK threat is not to scale with the damage they deal... *especially single target!*
i guess i understand AOE pulling off of tanks... my bad.
in the end... it me who hurts because i have to spend at least 20 gold every dungeon i go to, or by stopping my attack and rotation altogether.
i say it balances out for the most part... in the end...kinda

it's still early in the release, and the bottom line is:
blizzard really wants you to THINK!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
12/25/2010 11:32 AMPosted by Edworgcullen
So the DPS pulled aggro in your RFC group?

roflmao.... I just figured this out.

9/10
Reply Quote
12/25/2010 9:04 AMPosted by Bruxly
I had one terrible mage Mirror Image while my heroic throw was flying through the air, and nuking the mob as much as possible before 2 GCD's.

Mirror Image defers the mage's threat for 30 seconds, essentially giving him 0 threat for the duration (although the deferred threat comes back after 30 seconds).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]