Tauren vs. Blood Elf Pally

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Racials are incredibly irrelevant. The only defining factors should be:

Blood Elfs are extremely common and most think they're gay (though all these people are WoW kiddies and never played WC3)

Tauren are too big to see anything in old school instances like heroic Deadmines and heroic SFK, and they're easy to find in a battleground
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't choose a race for the racials, choose a race because you like the race. Racials are situational at best and useless at worse.

Tauren are massive. If you don't like being huge and monsterous then Tauren is not for. You get big weapons, big mounts, and Tauren females are quite possibly the most adorable things in all of Azeroth.

Belfs are small, really small, with tiny weapons and armor to match. Plate armor looks great on them, though their attack animations are kinda sissy looking.
Edited by Ladette on 12/26/2010 7:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/26/2010 1:20 PMPosted by Gekin
Racials for PVE end game are negligible. As different gear or gems will overtake the benefit of any that may ne there.

Maybe when you actually get to raids and not lolBH you'll see that racials do make a difference in raiding. I don't know how many times arcane torrent has come in handy either for mana or a clutch silence when rebuke was down. And to the op, if you're not tanking, I would go with belf. Arcane torrent is amazing for pve.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
With regards to healing, I have to agree with the above. If you have any designs on progression raiding as a horde Holy Paladin, BELF is a must. I honestly don't know how Alliance pallies heal progression content without Arcane Torrent. 20% mana on a typical raid boss - particularly in the cataclysm healing environment -- is huge.

Is Arcane Resistance a factor for BElf tanks?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If you're good it doesn't matter.
If you want to get all technical go look at the traits.
It's all personal preferences.
I for one hate how slow tauren seem to move and I enjoy the +10 enchanting bonus.
Edited by Thairos on 12/27/2010 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
BElf (female always, males should not exist imo) is easily superior for Holy. It's pretty amazing how often that 6% mana is useful. OOM? Arcane Torrent + Judgement, suddenly you can Daybreak double Holy Shock to 3 Holy Power, then Word of Glory, and Word of Glory again after the 30% chance of getting the HP back.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/27/2010 9:26 AMPosted by Saiyanman

It is better than nothing, but situational. Tauren health bonus applies to every fight. Arcane torrent is as good as war stomp for spell interrupts, but the war stomp stun has wider application.

Arcane torrent doesn't trigger a GCD; does War Stomp?

For tanking I'd think Taurens are generally better, but I don't want to pay for a race change just for that.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Paladin
I thought it was all personal pref now. Can't the racials be made up for with gear, excluding the abilities?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/27/2010 11:10 AMPosted by Wholelycow
I thought it was all personal pref now. Can't the racials be made up for with gear, excluding the abilities?

The question of "which is better" will always be there, even if there is only a .001% difference between the two.

Personally, I don't like Tauren aesthetically. Primarily, it's the animations and size of the model. The only toon I tolerate this on is my druid -- because I don't have to be in tauren form most of the time and herbalism + 310% flight form + tauren cultivation racial is rather hot!

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I had always wanted to be a tauren paladin, tauren were my favorite race since beta. But now that I can be a tauren paladin, I find myself reluctant to make the switch. I primarily pvp and play ret, tank or dps in instances. I love arcane torrent, if war stomp can be considered as good as it i might consider the switch. After coming back to the game and playing a bit i was rather fond of my BE. Taurens get targeted more in pvp, but you also have the factor that they look more scary, if you can intimidate your opponent it can give you an advantage, although i don't think anyone is intimidated by a ret pally at this point, which that combined with being a BE they might underestimate you which could also be an advantage. Not sure If I will eventually make the switch or not, pretty sure there will end up being a lot more tauren pallies than BE, so if you want to be different, my other problem is justifying spending 25 of real life dollars to change how your character looks, not that its a lot of money, but I think that and the 25 dollar transfer fee are ridiculous.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Rogue
the way i look at is if ur prot/ret pvp go belf for the insta offencesive silence.

if ur holy a stun to get ppl off u is more fitting cause everyone wants to gang !#** a hpally(or try :D)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Tauren have a +5% stam as a racial, which is nice. And they just look badass
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/27/2010 10:55 AMPosted by Tazot
Arcane torrent

12/27/2010 10:55 AMPosted by Tazot
Arcane Resistance

I'd say that Arcane resistance is stupid, something they gave because they couldnt think of anything else. If one of these twilight raids gets an arcane boss, sure.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
At least when a blood elf says "my milshake brings all the boys to the yard" its figurative...
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin

It is better than nothing, but situational. Tauren health bonus applies to every fight. Arcane torrent is as good as war stomp for spell interrupts, but the war stomp stun has wider application.

Arcane torrent doesn't trigger a GCD; does War Stomp?

For tanking I'd think Taurens are generally better, but I don't want to pay for a race change just for that.

War stomp has a cast time (unless they changed it in cata? haven't played any of my taurens since 4.01), and does not work on bosses as it is a stun. AT works on bosses where silences are counted as interrupts (but don't actually silence), which includes most of the new raid and heroic bosses in cata from what i've seen so far. Tauren passive stam is nice for tanking though.

In the end play what you want to though, you'll enjoy playing a character you like the look of more. Skill and gear make a bigger difference than racials.
Edited by Kajiura on 12/27/2010 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/27/2010 12:30 PMPosted by Kajiura

Arcane Resistance: "Increases your resistance to harmful Arcane effects by 84"

not Arcane Torrent

but the input about Arcane Torrent / Warstomp is helpful
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/27/2010 11:44 AMPosted by ßeefshield
Tauren have a +5% stam as a racial, which is nice. And they just look badass

That's only on base health, not overall. It's not as much as it sounds like it is.

12/27/2010 12:44 PMPosted by Thairos
Arcane Resistance: "Increases your resistance to harmful Arcane effects by 84"

It's nice in a way as that isn't something that's covered by Resistance Aura and affects damage from quite a few mobs in heroics.

The same can be said for Tauren though and the nature resist they get.

Both are pointless if you're putting Kings up or have Mark.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/26/2010 12:16 PMPosted by Ascherith
Both are irrelevant for any PvE roles so just go with tauren, the superior race.

Says the Worgen....
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
12/27/2010 12:58 PMPosted by Cruzado
Both are irrelevant for any PvE roles so just go with tauren, the superior race.

Says the Worgen....

WARNING: Furry flag engaged.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]