Caster staff vs MH/OH

85 Undead Priest
Is there a reason to take a staff over a equal level mh/oh? Unless I'm missing something here the main hand offhand combo always comes iout on top because of the +100 int offhand enchant and thats a shame because I like using staffs
Reply Quote
2 Draenei Shaman
Staves once again are near useless.

Caster enchants really need a balance patch or more need to be added to make staves actually appealing.
Edited by Cristalle on 12/27/2010 8:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Staves are fairly useless unless they are *huge* upgrades. I wonder what they are going to do about that legendary staff that is supposed to pop up somewhere in this xpac...

DK
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
12/27/2010 8:48 AMPosted by Deathkoilz
Staves are fairly useless unless they are *huge* upgrades. I wonder what they are going to do about that legendary staff that is supposed to pop up somewhere in this xpac...

DK

The staff's proc only has to be worth more than 100 int.

Which isn't that much, to be honest, considering Shadowmourne's proc was 200+ Str.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin

DK

Which isn't that much, to be honest, considering Shadowmourne's proc was 200+ Str.

Because you can't enchant your main hand, right?
Edited by Wideload on 12/27/2010 8:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Think about it this way...

Shadowmourne was 2H, with a 2H enchant, and had a pretty amazing Proc.

Currently for casters there is no 2H (aka Staff) enchants. So with MH/OH we get 100 int plus the regular enchant. So to make a legendary better the proc just has to be more than the 100 int... But unless its a *lot* better than 100 int, then it sure won't feel legendary.

I'm not QQ'ing, I will gladly take a legendary staff. Just raising a point... Staves are horrible compared to MH/OH so the legendary staff will have to be a ton better than an epic MH/OH combo to make it "legendarily better".

Also, Staves need a 2H caster enchant to make them worth using since they currently are not.

Oh and one other thing... in past expansions, MH+OH almost always gave better DPS/Heal "stats" than a staff did. You know... more spell power, haste, crit, hit, etc... however staves usually had more stam, int, spirit, etc. So do MH/OH combos give more "stats" than Staves do again in this xpac, or did the int = SP change even that out a little bit? I admit that I haven't looked into this because MH/OH is just a *lot* better right now...

If it is the case that MH/OH have better enchants, there is no 2H specific caster enchant, and MH/OH has better dps/heal "stats", then that puts Staves further behind and makes it so that legendary staff will have to be even better. Like I said though, I haven't looked at the "stats" part of this yet.

DK
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm glad Bliz finally gave us OH enchants, It was ridiculous that OHs could not be enchanted when Shields could.... but their decision to not put in any form of Staff enchant has really killed them. I think this can be chalked up to yet another symptom of Cataclysm just not being fully ready for release.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
12/27/2010 9:05 AMPosted by Deathkoilz
Think about it this way...

Shadowmourne was 2H, with a 2H enchant, and had a pretty amazing Proc.

Um. Think again. There was no specific "2H" enchant. If you weren't a DK, you slapped Berserking on it and called it a day.

Of course, this is because melee weapons are less problematic in this fashion, because each spec prefers a specific setup and it'd take a lot to change that setup. Casters are the only role that can swap from a 2H stave to MH/OH without a change in spec.

12/27/2010 9:11 AMPosted by Thanatosia
I'm glad Bliz finally gave us OH enchants, It was ridiculous that OHs could not be enchanted when Shields could.... but their decision to not put in any form of Staff enchant has really killed them. I think this can be chalked up to yet another symptom of Cataclysm just not being fully ready for release.

They're not going to make a staff version of Power Torrent, much like they're not going to make a 2H version of Landslide.

The offhand enchant was a bad idea. Full stop.
Reply Quote
2 Draenei Shaman
12/27/2010 9:11 AMPosted by Thanatosia

I agree that offhand enchants really were needed. But, the design was incredibly short-sighted. Hopefully they add staff enchants that actually put them on par with mh/oh options.

I'm not holding my breath though.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
12/27/2010 8:55 AMPosted by Wideload

Because you can't enchant a staff, right?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
12/27/2010 9:19 AMPosted by Packratt
Casters are the only role that can swap from a 2H stave to MH/OH without a change in spec

It's also the only role where the weapon is nothing more than a stat stick.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
12/27/2010 9:32 AMPosted by Athair
Casters are the only role that can swap from a 2H stave to MH/OH without a change in spec

It's also the only role where the weapon is nothing more than a stat stick.

Hunters, broski. The 2H agility chant only exists because of them :U
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

druids?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
12/27/2010 9:42 AMPosted by Packratt

Raptor Strike!
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Shaman
staves can now be enchanted with a 1h weapon enchant and an off-hand enchant

PROBLEM. SOLVED.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
12/27/2010 8:55 AMPosted by Wideload

The problem is most of the best enchants for mainhands work on both staves and one-handed caster weapons. This might change once epic enchants become available, but for now anyone with a MH / Offhand combo gets an extra 100 int over someone with a staff.
Reply Quote
11 Gnome Mage
Long story short, until there's a staff enchant that's worth roughly 100 int more than a regular 1h enchant, staves aren't worth using over equal level 1h+OH.
Reply Quote
A 2h staff enchant will be implemented in a future patch. Mark my words.

As far as the lengendary goes, the proc itself doesn't necessarily have to be worth more than 100 int due to, it being a legendary, it will have a boatload of passive stats on it already. I'm willing to bet those themselves will outweigh the best MH/OH combo in whatever tier it is first presented in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]