Link inside to 5.0 Assassination Guide (PvE)

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Rogue
My main was a Holy Pally, but I got sick of groups running in without CC'ing anything and getting hit hard then blaming the healer.

So I switched to my old dusty rogue and used this guide, I must say it's been a huge help.

once I got the rotation down correctly I went from 4k DPS to 8k in the space of 2 days.

Thanks heaps for putting this guide together!
85 Night Elf Rogue
Renovated the rotations post.

// edit //

You're welcome. :)
Edited by Verelyse on 1/16/2011 9:04 PM PST
Random note, but as I was reading through I noticed this:

"Feint: “Lowers your threat by 5%, and reduces the damage you take from area of effect attacks by 50% for 6 seconds.” Glyphed: “Nullifies the energy cost of Feint.” (8-second CD)."

Feint's CD is 10 seconds, not 8.

Just thought it was important to point out.
85 Night Elf Rogue
01/16/2011 11:16 PMPosted by Vishess
Random note, but as I was reading through I noticed this:

"Feint: “Lowers your threat by 5%, and reduces the damage you take from area of effect attacks by 50% for 6 seconds.” Glyphed: “Nullifies the energy cost of Feint.” (8-second CD)."

Feint's CD is 10 seconds, not 8.

Just thought it was important to point out.
Strange, I thought I copied all those right off the tooltips.

Thanks! :)
85 Gnome Rogue
excellent writeup, it seem appropriate that rogues see this and to help them upbuild their beloved class.

I'm still searching on our stats importance, I know agi is first, then hit, then mastery, and after that its a hold up after exp is capped 13/13; Haste could be a very important stat since energy regen is something we all sorta need to keep going.
85 Night Elf Rogue
01/17/2011 9:42 AMPosted by Altáir
excellent writeup, it seem appropriate that rogues see this and to help them upbuild their beloved class.

I'm still searching on our stats importance, I know agi is first, then hit, then mastery, and after that its a hold up after exp is capped 13/13; Haste could be a very important stat since energy regen is something we all sorta need to keep going.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1658707015?page=1#2
and
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1658707015?page=1#3
This shall prove quite... useful.
70 Worgen Rogue
rotations and build were quite useful, i know ill need to respec to get rid of deadly momentum later but excellent specs onetheless
85 Night Elf Death Knight
I just recently started getting back into my rogue, leveling him up to 85. However, I've traditionally played Subtley as I find it a little more enjoyable, and easier for my playing style (which is primarily by myself). However, even after hitting 85 I noticed that my DPS just plain sucked compared to my other characters, so I stopped using him. I've never before bothered to invest the time in reading up these kinds of guides before, but by complete coincidence, today I did.

My DPS in assassination went from ~5k on boss dummies to ~7.8k, and I have a much better understanding of what kind of gear I need to focus on (I bought the PvP blues, not knowing how drastic it can affect my PvE damage).

I was wondering if someone might be able to take a look at my character's equipment and let me know if ~7.8k on a boss dummy, 8.5k on a reg dummy is at least decent. I haven't done any heroics or any 85 dungeons before, and I want to be on the right path to do regular 85 dungeons to change my pvp gear to PvE blues (working on reputation items as well).

Here's my general rotation as well if you can provide feedback on it:

Stealth > Garrote > SnD > Mutilatex2 > Rupture > Mutilatex2 > Envenom

at which point I continue Mutilatex2 > Rupture > Mutilatex2 > Envenom (as a general strategy, throwing in Vendetta, Cold Blood, Trinkets, Vanish+Garrote, and extra Envenoms before rupture runs out where possible).

Any and all help is appreciated, and I thank anyone in advance for their assistance. =)

-=-=-=-=-=-

P.S. I'm not sure if my icon updated to my rogue. If not, the character is "Adentar" on the realm Skywall.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/skywall/adentar/simple
Edited by Xayl on 1/19/2011 5:13 AM PST
I just saw a patch note stating that the Avalanche weapon enchant will now proc off of spell effects as well. I don't know if that makes any noticeable difference for dps.

Enchanting

* Enchanting: Enchant Cloak - Shadow Armor no longer increases Stealth.
* Enchanting: Enchant Weapon - Avalanche now also procs from spell damage.
85 Night Elf Rogue
01/19/2011 5:06 AMPosted by Xayl
Here's my general rotation as well if you can provide feedback on it:

Stealth > Garrote > SnD > Mutilatex2 > Rupture > Mutilatex2 > Envenom
That's an extremely tight window to refresh SnD with envenom, I'd suggest practicing one/both of the rotations in the guide and seeing if they give you better results (one of them is simply switching rupture and envenom, compared to your opening rotation).

You shouldn't be reforging into expertise, and for heroics you don't need to reforge into hit rating either, as long as you've got 205 with 2/3 precision you're fine. Raiding is where the higher hit caps come into play, so you can concentrate on agility/mastery/haste right now.

Your talents are a mess, honestly. There's two builds in the guide that are viable.

If you have any specific questions based on the reading I can help more from there.

01/19/2011 6:24 AMPosted by Snikt
I just saw a patch note stating that the Avalanche weapon enchant will now proc off of spell effects as well. I don't know if that makes any noticeable difference for dps.

Enchanting

* Enchanting: Enchant Cloak - Shadow Armor no longer increases Stealth.
* Enchanting: Enchant Weapon - Avalanche now also procs from spell damage.
It should make avalanche much, much nicer for us. But we'll have to wait on EJ to find out if it surpasses hurricane for pre-raiding enchants (I can't imagine it surpassing landslide under any circumstance).
Alright thanks. I knew about expertise, and didn't realize I missed the one weapon until after I logged out and made the post. I was going to note the talents as I've read up on them but haven't redone them, but I decided not to. Didn't think it'd be called a 'mess' though, simply for not being perfect... =(

As for the envenom refresh, as mentioned it was a general rotation. I'll try switching Envenom and Rupture to see how that goes.

The switching Hit into Mastery/Haste for now is primarily what I needed to know, so right on.

I'm still curious though if my current DPS is adequate enough for regular dungeon runs, so I can replace my current PvP gear. =\ Again, I'm all I can to improve solo before I do anything with a group.

Anyways thanks for the advice and well done on the guide. It's of great help.

EDIT: I see why the Envenom refresh was so tight. I had my talents placed into 50% longer SnD... That's fixed. ^_^

EDIT: Did some more gear upgrades and updated my talents, now hitting ~9.2k on an 85 dummy. Still curious if I'm where I need to be.
Edited by Adentar on 1/19/2011 10:38 PM PST
85 Night Elf Rogue
01/19/2011 1:10 PMPosted by Adentar
EDIT: Did some more gear upgrades and updated my talents, now hitting ~9.2k on an 85 dummy. Still curious if I'm where I need to be.
Should be fine, major glyphs could use some attention though (feint, tricks and sap are usually what I use in heroics). Also work on Ramhaken rep to get the helm enchant (only need revered), and getting weapon enchants helps a lot, even if you just get double avalanche at this point.
Edited by Verelyse on 1/20/2011 11:48 PM PST
Alright, thank you for all the help. =) It's greatly appreciated.
85 Undead Rogue
++Rep
90 Undead Rogue
Just curious on this, but for pvp, would two 1.8 daggers be better for the burst via mut and auto attacks? With a 1.4 OH I can see poison application being a bit faster but after that first envenom and getting your deadly to 5 on the enemy target, would the 1.4 still be that much better or wouldn't the 1.8 average out? I've been seeing everyone use 1.4 on the OH, but I'm not seeing any steady numbers to validate it aside from poison reasoning.
85 Night Elf Rogue
01/21/2011 10:45 PMPosted by Slithals
Just curious on this, but for pvp, would two 1.8 daggers be better for the burst via mut and auto attacks? With a 1.4 OH I can see poison application being a bit faster but after that first envenom and getting your deadly to 5 on the enemy target, would the 1.4 still be that much better or wouldn't the 1.8 average out? I've been seeing everyone use 1.4 on the OH, but I'm not seeing any steady numbers to validate it aside from poison reasoning.
I have absolutely no idea. You might find something on it at Arena Junkies though.

http://www.arenajunkies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
85 Night Elf Rogue
Vere, thanks again for this guide.

Quick question, that maybe you answered but I didn't catch: where did you get the EP values for the gear? It's REALLY useful, I'm just wondering where they came from.
85 Night Elf Rogue
01/22/2011 9:00 AMPosted by Firstwind
Vere, thanks again for this guide.

Quick question, that maybe you answered but I didn't catch: where did you get the EP values for the gear? It's REALLY useful, I'm just wondering where they came from.
Either of these:
http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t110016-cataclysm_raiding_faq_updated_1_18_11_a/
http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t110134-assassination_guide_cata/

^ Extraordinarily good resource for PvE, definitely bookmark if you haven't already.
85 Gnome Rogue
I've just started playing a rogue in cata. I've always loved the feel of combat, but my rogue friends in guild talked me into going mutilate. As an experienced player I was able to pick it up quick and wow. It's amazing. I don't have any purples yet, but if I don't pull 11k on a heroic boss, something is wrong. Problem is, that my gear is still geared towered combat with expertise and alot of mastery forged away. I'm rather torn because I'm thinking about making mutilate my main spec but hate having to get gear twice lol.

Also once the opening is done, I'm told no using expose armor, not worth the gcd. Any thoughts?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]