Tanking Macros made easy

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I just want to say that I've been trying to figure out a way to macro the spells. And I think I've found it. Similar to how I macro'd my Prot Warrior and Heroic Strike in WoTLK.

These are the 2 macros I use, and it seems that Blizzard has implemented some sort of smart system to choose which should go first or something.

/showtooltip Crusader Strike
/cast Crusader Strike
/cast Judgement
/cast Avenger's Shield

and

/showtooltip Hammer of the Righteous
/cast Hammer of the Righteous
/cast Judgement
/cast Avenger's Shield

The cool thing about these is that they are 1 button smashes for 3 different spells, however, the cooler thing is that Blizzard seems to have implemented something that makes them choose the best spell first (although partly the macro).

Example:
I'm bashing a mob w/ Crusader Strike, if the Judgement GCD will cause my next Crusader Strike to take longer, it will wait. Then, it will cast Judgement. As well, if Avenger's Shield procs, it will cast it almost immediately.

I've only played around with it for a little while now, but for people unfamiliar with macros, you can test it out and see if it helps you at all. I still keep Judge and AS on my bars for cases when they are necessary by themselves (i.e. pulling), but I've found otherwise, this helps you maintain aggro, mana, and lets you focus on the environment more.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Those macros are only casting whatever is first and off cooldown. If say, both Hammer and Avenger's Shield were off cooldown, Hammer (since it's listed first in your macro) would be cast.

Macros like these leave little room for flexibility. Our rotation only has 6 or so abilities; It's okay to macro some together, but I suggest using a [mod:] command to allow you to control what you're doing.

Take, for example, your first macro (I'll add a [mod:] command):

#showtooltip Crusader Strike
/cast [mod:shift] Judgement; [mod:alt] Avenger's Shield;Crusader Strike

This would let you put all 3 abilities in one button, but by adding the [mod:] command you retain the ability to choose your spells. You can also remove Crusader Strike from after #showtooltip and the icon will change based on what modifier (if any) you are pushing
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't forget this simple yet perfect macro for the start of a boss fight, or really any pull at your own discrection.

/cast Divine Plea
/cast Avenging Wrath

This way, you pop wings and have 3 holy power. Open up with a shield throw, Judge, and if it procs you have a 3 holy power shield slam crit at the start of the fight. In heroics this nets me about 200k+ threat in about 4 seconds.

I do not take credit for this. Saw it in a previous thread.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/24/2010 9:25 AMPosted by Senas
Those macros are only casting whatever is first and off cooldown. If say, both Hammer and Avenger's Shield were off cooldown, Hammer (since it's listed first in your macro) would be cast.

Macros like these leave little room for flexibility. Our rotation only has 6 or so abilities; It's okay to macro some together, but I suggest using a [mod:] command to allow you to control what you're doing.

Take, for example, your first macro (I'll add a [mod:] command):

#showtooltip Crusader Strike
/cast [mod:shift] Judgement; [mod:alt] Avenger's Shield;Crusader Strike

This would let you put all 3 abilities in one button, but by adding the [mod:] command you retain the ability to choose your spells. You can also remove Crusader Strike from after #showtooltip and the icon will change based on what modifier (if any) you are pushing

Yeah, I already have keybinds for those. This one is for more just smashing... AS is the only thing I'd think about taking out, otherwise it's almost exactly like the revenge/HS macro for warriors. I dunno, just a good beginner macro I'd suggest for people getting used to the new playstyle of pally tanks.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/24/2010 10:13 AMPosted by Evilight
Don't forget this simple yet perfect macro for the start of a boss fight, or really any pull at your own discrection.

/cast Divine Plea
/cast Avenging Wrath

This way, you pop wings and have 3 holy power. Open up with a shield throw, Judge, and if it procs you have a 3 holy power shield slam crit at the start of the fight. In heroics this nets me about 200k+ threat in about 4 seconds.

I typically do this anyway (as it's the best way to do it), but I don't use a macro... I have DP, Wings, AS lined up next to each other...
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I am very fond of

Divine Shield Cancel Macro

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield

Divine Plea Cancel Macro

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cancelaura Divine Plea
/cast Divine Plea

The frequency in which I use this is astounding.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/24/2010 11:46 AMPosted by Xayton
I am very fond of

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast Divine Shield

Divine Plea Cancel Macro

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cancelaura Divine Plea
/cast Divine Plea

If you aren't in PVP or a healer, why would you cancel Divine Plea? Just curious. Or are you a PVPer/Healer and use it alot?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
prot would want to cancel if they were poping Word of glory..
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/25/2010 2:58 AMPosted by Ihatepallies
I am very fond of

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast Divine Shield

Divine Plea Cancel Macro

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cancelaura Divine Plea
/cast Divine Plea

If you aren't in PVP or a healer, why would you cancel Divine Plea? Just curious. Or are you a PVPer/Healer and use it alot?

I use WoG a lot when I am tanking.
Reply Quote
65 Draenei Paladin
Do we really have so many abilities at 85 that we have to put 3 on one key? I pretty much keybind the whole left half of the keyboard, haven't run out of space yet. I use bartender and 5-6 bars, depending on the toon.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/24/2010 10:13 AMPosted by Evilight

/cast Divine Plea
/cast Avenging Wrath

I ended up putting AW on my Avenger's Shield macro, instead of Divine Plea, to give myself a little extra time to use AW.

The downside is that you'll get the 'ability is not ready' message everytime you use AS while AW is on cooldown, but I just turn off the error speech.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/25/2010 3:36 PMPosted by Tazot

I ended up putting AW on my Avenger's Shield macro, instead of Divine Plea, to give myself a little extra time to use AW.

The downside is that you'll get the 'ability is not ready' message everytime you use AS while AW is on cooldown, but I just turn off the error speech.

#showtooltip Avenger's Shield
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/cast Avenging Wrath
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/cast Avenger's Shield

Enjoy.
Edited by Jantilla on 12/25/2010 4:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
From my experience in cataclysm content. Macroing major parts of rotations because you can't remember 6 numbers is kinda bad. I mean, flexibility is lost. I know that in many instance groups, Bosses Demand Interrupts and the only reliable one I can rely on every 15 seconds or less is Avenger's Shield. Yes, I can lose my GCD but with this xpac I've also realized that Threat is not majorly an issue. (Unless you're chasing behind your guild DK... :| OP)

Macroing Avenger's Shield may lead to heavy damage, in all of the instances on heroic.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/25/2010 4:34 PMPosted by Jantilla

#showtooltip Avenger's Shield
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Avenger's Shield

Enjoy.

Excellent, thanks a lot.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Based on the above macro suggestion, here is my Hand of Reckoning macro:

#showtooltip Hand of Reckoning
/cast [button:2,@none] [] Hand of Reckoning
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast [exists] Avenger's Shield

Left click or button mash = HoR on target, followed by Avenging Wrath and Avenger's Shield if they're available.

Right click = HoR but with no target, giving you a selectable hand to use the ability on any mob in your field of view without deselecting your current target.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
12/24/2010 9:18 AMPosted by Ihatepallies
I just want to say that I've been trying to figure out a way to macro the spells. And I think I've found it. Similar to how I macro'd my Prot Warrior and Heroic Strike in WoTLK.

These are the 2 macros I use, and it seems that Blizzard has implemented some sort of smart system to choose which should go first or something.

/showtooltip Crusader Strike
/cast Crusader Strike
/cast Judgement
/cast Avenger's Shield

and

/showtooltip Hammer of the Righteous
/cast Hammer of the Righteous
/cast Judgement
/cast Avenger's Shield

The cool thing about these is that they are 1 button smashes for 3 different spells, however, the cooler thing is that Blizzard seems to have implemented something that makes them choose the best spell first (although partly the macro).

Example:
I'm bashing a mob w/ Crusader Strike, if the Judgement GCD will cause my next Crusader Strike to take longer, it will wait. Then, it will cast Judgement. As well, if Avenger's Shield procs, it will cast it almost immediately.

I've only played around with it for a little while now, but for people unfamiliar with macros, you can test it out and see if it helps you at all. I still keep Judge and AS on my bars for cases when they are necessary by themselves (i.e. pulling), but I've found otherwise, this helps you maintain aggro, mana, and lets you focus on the environment more.

Was messing around and made a paladin, did I miss something however.. The macro doesn't work. It just casts CS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
yes u missed the part where mashing 3 buttons 1 time is somehow harder than mashing 1 button 3 times
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]