Trouble adapting to PROT changes!

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi I am a duel spec paladin RET and PROT. I have been duel spec since back when duel spec was first allowed. I enjoyed playing prot very much both in dungeons as well as in PVP and open world quest leveling etc. However, I tried to tank a dungeon using my prot spec with all the new changes since the expansion and patches. It did not go very well and I was confused.

Would anyone be willing to give me a quick summary of what the spell rotation has changed to compared to how it was a year ago? Also, since they took defense out of the game what should I be priority stacking now? Dodge, parry, stamina, armor? I wish I had more time to do research and I will do some but I just wanted to create this thread to get the ball rolling and maybe help other people who are in my shoes and don't even know here to begin with these new changes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Stack stam and mastery (block). Mastery is so much better than dodge or parry that you should be reforging those into mastery.

As for the rotation, it consists of using CS or HotR to generate Holy Power, with one fill in-between casts. CS for single-target, HotR for AoE.

When you have 3 HP, you have a choice of WoG, SoR, or Inq. I don't use Inq, but I hear it's actually quite good for AoE tanking because it increases HotR damage by a lot.

WoG when you're low, SoR when you need to generate more threat. Remember that WoG also generates a decent bit of AoE threat.

The fill priority is Judge > Avenger's Shield > Holy Wrath. Judge is ahead of Avenger's Shield because of the mana regen. If multi-target tanking, AS comes out on top.

It's a very streamlined and fun rotation. I love it a lot more than wrath's prot pally.
Edited by Pyraedine on 12/26/2010 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also HoW is priority for single target below 20%.

With WoG it depends on your play style. I personally specced into eternl glory and guarded by the light to help with healer mama issues. Though I still use SotR if a dos staets creeping up the threat meters.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/26/2010 1:32 PMPosted by Gekin

With WoG it depends on your play style. I personally specced into eternl glory and guarded by the light to help with healer mama issues. Though I still use SotR if a dos staets creeping up the threat meters.
Yeah, I always hate it when my healers have mama issues, too. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/26/2010 2:07 PMPosted by Anzer

Yeah, I always hate it when my healers have mama issues, too. ;)

Im posting from my phone gimme some slack here lol. Good catch though.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/26/2010 11:40 AMPosted by Pyraedine
Stack stam and mastery (block). Mastery is so much better than dodge or parry that you should be reforging those into mastery.

As for the rotation, it consists of using CS or HotR to generate Holy Power, with one fill in-between casts. CS for single-target, HotR for AoE.

When you have 3 HP, you have a choice of WoG, SoR, or Inq. I don't use Inq, but I hear it's actually quite good for AoE tanking because it increases HotR damage by a lot.

WoG when you're low, SoR when you need to generate more threat. Remember that WoG also generates a decent bit of AoE threat.

The fill priority is Judge > Avenger's Shield > Holy Wrath. Judge is ahead of Avenger's Shield because of the mana regen. If multi-target tanking, AS comes out on top.

It's a very streamlined and fun rotation. I love it a lot more than wrath's prot pally.

Thank you very much Pyraedine! I erally appreciate you taking the time to write this reply and it is exactly what I was hoping for when I created this thread. I will study what you've written and now I really have something to build on as a foundation for how to tank. I hope other people find this thread useful as much as I have and I also want to say thank you to gekin and farranor for adding more tips. Thanks all!

EDIT: Also, I just wanted to mention to anyone else who might read this thread looking for information there is an advanced paladin tanking guide posted at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020823291?page=1
Edited by Caprisio on 12/27/2010 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]