Threat is a real problem on my frost death knight in heroics. I have to wait a good 10 seconds before engaging. Even after waiting, I commonly overtake single-target threat against an equivalently-geared tank.
Are these tanks all bad players? We're talking PUGs, so maybe... but this is a consistent problem for me.
Passive threat reductions have been removed from the game. Fair enough.
Thing is, every melee class except DKs and warriors have effective active threat management.
Druids: cower (-10% total threat)
Paladins: hand of salvation (-20% total threat over 10s), bubble (-100% total threat while bubbled)
Rogues: feint (-5% total threat), vanish (-100% total threat)
Shamans: Wind Shear (-5% total threat)
DKs and Warriors: Stop attacking and sit on your hands. Fun, right?
This wasn't a big deal in WOTLK, since tank aggro generation was very high. Threat matters now, and in a game where threat matters, being one of two classes unable to manage their threat is a major hindrance.
I can think of many ways to fix this.
- Add a 5-10% total threat drop to pummel and mind freeze. The obvious choice.
- Rime-procced howling blasts and icy touches drop total threat by 5%
- Bloodsurge-procced slams drop total threat by 5%
- Taste for blood-procced overpowers drop total threat by 5%
- Heroic Fury drops total threat by 10%
- Hungering Cold drops total threat by 20% (A real PvE use for this talent! Unholy wouldn't need a matching equivalent, since so much of unholy's damage is in the ghoul.)
TL/DR: Please add 5-10% threat reduction to pummel and mind freeze.