Pally Tanking Made Easy

85 Tauren Paladin
xLR
My experience as a Pally Tank is Revearing! I have been doing this since Wrath and the game play has changed dramatically! I have seen Paladin Tanks do the same mistakes over and over again. Basically Geming, Talenting, & Tanking wrong! All 3 seem simple, But im gona lay it down for you how Prot Pallies are ment to be played!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gems - Use these types if you are focusing on socket bonus and get best you can out of it!
Red Socket - Use gem "Fine Ember Topaz" - 20 Parry & 20 Mastery (orange)
Blue - Use gem "Puissant Dream Emerald" - 20 Mastery & 30 Stam (green)
Yellow - use 40 mastery

Stacking 40 dodge or 40 Parry gems will have less of an avoidance effect than if you use Fine Ember Topaz. If you replace these, you will see a loss of .7 dodge/parry and gain .25 shield block!

You do want to stack 40 Mastery gems instead of hybrid Puissant Stam gems.
40 Mastery - 0.5 shield block chance
60 Stamina - 1k life

You dont want to necessarily stack stam. Biggest mistake that I see from Tanks is that they dont know there job. It's to mitigate as much of the damage as possible. Stacking Mastery is a great way to max out your avoidance to getting hit big.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen people talent Prot with Ret for years now, It irritates me that they use it for wrong purpose. But there is exceptions to Goin that route and thats only for Soloing quests or trash.
There are currently 2 tanking styles available.
1: Heals party/raid and tanks!
2: Tanks and self heals and builds great threat.
Prot is all about DAMAGE MITIGATION!

Call me crazy But Blizzard actualy wants pallies to be more an Efficient type of class. This style of Tanking changes everything. Healers having trouble keeping raid up. Get that holy power up and Word of Glory yourself or another low healthed raider and get bonus from Protector of the Innocent!

I used this tactic so many times. In 5m Dungeons I do about 10-25% of the healing. In Raids I do about 10% total healing on attempt. Its great when you know you save the party. Most Prot Pally's rely on heals. I dont do as much.

This style can only be perfectly executed with Omen addon, It will show you 2nd person gaining agro.

Important Glyphs
Prime - Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of the Righteous, Word of Glory
Major - Holy Wrath, Ascetic Crusader, Concecration

Reforge all Items to Mastery, Never replace hit for it. Those items that have Mastery already, Reforge its other attribute weather its dodge or parry change it to hit. Definately aim for gear with mastery already implemented into it. You will gain more mastery total this way.

With everything Implimented you should have low health but have a Higher survivability than others.

Don't forget as like any toon that attacks. Cap that Hit. Its very important to have it maxed. Hitting targets generate threat, misses wont, easy as that. Cap hit before focusing on Expertise!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enchanting
Gloves - armsman - 2% threat increase and 10 parry
Or 50 to Mastery - best enchant when agro is not a problem

Feet - 50 Mastery to boots, more useful than enchant 30stam and faster walk speed.

Weapon - bladeward - chance to proc 200 parry
Much better proc than mending. Where mending average heal is around 800 life and happens not so often.
Although these enchantments are from Wraith, they are possibly the best tanking enchantments available.

BRUTALY IMPORTANT INFO!
Don't be conned into anyones strat schematics without 1st checking players stats & players raid accomplishments via Armory!
Edited by Incredabull on 1/2/2011 11:24 AM PST
85 Human Paladin
yes healing yourself and the party is actually a key mechanic for paladin tanks now.
me and my buddy find ourselves healing our entire party all the time avoiding wipes with him tanking and me trying to dps
Also when i tank i find myself using hands of freedom and such on party members to. dont forget holy radiance! what we lack for in most everything we make up for in keeping party members alive
85 Tauren Paladin
xLR
nope, I don't know who xayton is.
85 Human Paladin

Gems - Use these types if you are focusing on socket bonus and get best you can out of it!
Red Socket - Use gem "Fine Ember Topaz" - 20 Parry & 20 Mastery (orange)
Yellow & Blue - Use gem "Puissant Dream Emerald" - 20 Mastery & 30 Stam (green)

But You do only want 3 pts into ret Crusade so you can get good threat. Other 3 pts should go into Holy's Protector of the Innocent.

The way I play a Prot Pally is perfect. I hold my threat in Raids and I HEAL!

Important Glyphs
Prime - Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of the Righteous, Word of Glory
Major - Holy Wrath, Ascetic Crusader, Concecration

You should be using Parry / Stam gems for red sockets not Parry / Mastery gems.

If you are still taking PotI you are doing something wrong. Points are much better put into RoL, Imp Judge, and PoJ.

There is no reason for you to be taking HotR as a Prime glyph. CS > HotR.
85 Tauren Paladin
xLR
For those of you who are ProtRet Like Xayton here, i would like to explain why it is better to not go that route.

Improved Judgement is a ranged attack. Tanks fight face to face, never over 10-20 yards away. So the use of such pts are pointless. That talent is good for a healer mainly.

RoL - Rule of Law - ret talent
The talent to a tank is pointless, Unless you are having threat issue. Which you should never have any problem achieving with the aid of 2 Taunting abilities, 1 of which is Hand of Reckoning.

But on the other hand the only usefullness out of this ability is for mobs that get out of controll.

Bonus for word of glory to this does not compute with healing yourself.
As prot pally our crit is extremely low like 3% or less. with 15% its 18% chance to crit on Word of glory. My reg heal would do 15k add crit 30k.
Now with PotI I do total 19.5k this is when I heal party member.

Lets say Xayton has 20% crit chance with Word of Glory, out of 5 heals hed get 90k total.
Lets say Incredabull who has 0% crit chance with word of glory, but has PotI can get 97.5k total out of 5 heals.

Oh and for Pursuit of Justice. Such a pointless stat. Mounting or Running faster will not make any tank better. But the holy power generated from it I do like. Only thing is not every encounter weather its boss or trash will as much cc'ing abilities on a tank. It is still too early to indicate how much of use this one talent can be. But for now I would avoid it all together Till I come across a bunch of bosses & mobs. But eh, wouldnt focus on using the holy power if I came across a mob that did cc.

Overall this is why ret isnt tankin spankin good as holy

Yes you could go down the route for 20 parry, 30 stam gems but its .7 parry per 20 and 3 of those gems to break 1k in life. or you could just use mastery and get .75 to blocking which will can quickly turn into more damage reductioning.

But thats why I tank, for the reduction to taking damage. Not to be a pin cushin.
Its like going into pvp with stam gems instead of resilience. Which would help you survive longer.

HotR Prime glyph is way more usefull of a glyph than Crusader Strike. This is retorical but i'll still comment, I checked out Xaytons tanking glyph but he doesnt have CS.

The reason why you would want HotR Glyph is because you are more than likely to lose agro on a mob to your raid/party than you are to lose a single target using Crusader Strike. Its an agro thing. Hand of Reckoning will keep that single target in check!
Edited by Incredabull on 12/24/2010 12:18 AM PST
85 Human Paladin
12/23/2010 11:04 PMPosted by Incredabull

...That's it?
85 Human Paladin
And now I feel the need to tear this apart.
85 Human Paladin
12/23/2010 11:04 PMPosted by Incredabull
For those of you who are ProtRet Like Xayton here, i would like to explain why it is better to not go that route.

This will be fun.

Improved Judgement is a ranged attack. Tanks fight face to face, never over 10-20 yards away. So the use of such pts are pointless. That talent is good for a healer mainly.

Yes Imp Judgment is a ranged attack. It is EXTREMELY useful for pulling more mobs then just AS can hit. And throwing an extra attack into a target when running to it. Given the fact Prot with Ret is better Prot with Holy, our only other choice is Eye for an Eye which only has marginal use. Imp Judgment is the better of the two talents and we need the points to get down to RoL and PoJ.

RoL - Rule of Law - ret talent
The talent to a tank is pointless, Unless you are having threat issue. Which you should never have any problem achieving with the aid of 2 Taunting abilities, 1 of which is Hand of Reckoning.

RoL is crazy good. You shouldn't be relying on taunts to keep a mob on you, let your rotation do that. So on top of crazy CS crits you get the added bonus of WoG crits. I can tell you right now 30k+ crits are better then 15k heals + a 8k heal on yourself. I would much rather be able to crit myself for 30k+

Bonus for word of glory to this does not compute with healing yourself.
As prot pally our crit is extremely low like 3% or less. with 15% its 18% chance to crit on Word of glory. My reg heal would do 15k add crit 30k.
Now with PotI I do total 19.5k this is when I heal party member.

That is the exact reason PotI isn't as good as it used to be. If you only have a 3% chance to crit your WoGs will never be hitting for 30k, and you will only be healing people for 15k + PotI heal back on yourself, which is GREATLY out classed by 30k+ crits on more then just yourself.

Lets say Xayton has 20% crit chance with Word of Glory, out of 5 heals hed get 90k total.
Lets say Incredabull who has 0% crit chance with word of glory, but has PotI can get 97.5k total out of 5 heals.

That doesn't matter. You don't get the heal bonus of PotI if you cast it on yourself. If you heal 4 people and yourself once you will only get around 52k heals. 20k average heal cast on yourself and 4 give or take 8k heals back to you with PotI. 90k > 52k. You seem to forget PotI only works when it isn't cast on you.

Oh and for Pursuit of Justice. Such a pointless stat. Mounting or Running faster will not make any tank better. But the holy power generated from it I do like. Only thing is not every encounter weather its boss or trash will as much cc'ing abilities on a tank. It is still too early to indicate how much of use this one talent can be. But for now I would avoid it all together Till I come across a bunch of bosses & mobs. But eh, wouldnt focus on using the holy power if I came across a mob that did cc.

Overall this is why ret isnt tankin spankin good as holy

PoJ is utility. I can very easily take the points out and get extra Haste in the holy tree. Extra seal damage in prot, or a lower Cons mana cost also in prot. None of which I need. Once you have a run speed increase you fall in love with it.

Yes you could go down the route for 20 parry, 30 stam gems but its .7 parry per 20 and 3 of those gems to break 1k in life. or you could just use mastery and get .75 to blocking which will can quickly turn into more damage reductioning.

But thats why I tank, for the reduction to taking damage. Not to be a pin cushin.
Its like going into pvp with stam gems instead of resilience. Which would help you survive longer.

You are one of those people who rely on avoidance. I am not going to turn this into a Stam is still better then avoidance argument because they both have their ups and downs.

If you figured out a way to block magic attacks let me know.

HotR Prime glyph is way more usefull of a glyph than Crusader Strike. This is retorical but i'll still comment, I checked out Xaytons tanking glyph but he doesnt have CS.

The reason why you would want HotR Glyph is because you are more than likely to lose agro on a mob to your raid/party than you are to lose a single target using Crusader Strike. Its an agro thing. Hand of Reckoning will keep that single target in check!

CS generates more threat then HotR does and I am not interested with "specing for heroics for AoE."
Edited by Xayton on 12/24/2010 12:37 AM PST
85 Tauren Paladin
SY
While I don't agree with a few things op is saying, at least he has participated in a cata raid.
85 Human Paladin
12/24/2010 12:37 AMPosted by Harani
While I don't agree with a few things op is saying, at least he has participated in a cata raid.

That is an incredibility poor justification for anything. Use the same logic he barely raided Wrath. I can't control how fast my guild mates gear up.
Edited by Xayton on 12/24/2010 12:39 AM PST
85 Tauren Paladin
SY
I was saying that so maybe you'd guys stop trashing like he's *!#%ing inhuman. Not like WOTLK raid experience means anything.
85 Tauren Paladin
SY
Isn't cata supposed to bring back some meaning behind raid success?
85 Human Paladin
12/24/2010 12:42 AMPosted by Harani
I was saying that so maybe you'd guys stop trashing like he's *!#%ing inhuman. Not like WOTLK raid experience means anything.

You missed the point.

And while you are on the subject of trying to correct my armory I would kindly like to point out to you that the Eternal Shadowspirit Diamond currently out classed by Austere still. It has been worked out that it either is 1) bugged, or 2) has an incorrect tooltip. It is only providing a 1% block value increase not 5%.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]