Block % cap as Prot?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Is there some sort of magical percentage of Block % that I should be at?

I'm curious because I want to know if I should keep converting secondary stats into mastery.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
there is a cap

but even if you get the best gear in the game, reforge for it, gem for it and enchant for it, you will not hit the cap.

so in effect there is no cap.

(capping it would be overpowered)
Edited by Gidgite on 12/27/2010 12:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
BUR
People were at block cap (parry+dodge+mastery) in ICC gear.

Most tanks are seeing 50-60% block currently. I doubt you will see block cap in this tier.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
But is the strategy right now to pretty much stack mastery?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Essentially, yes. Dodge and Parry have diminishing returns on them, meaning higher they get, the less you get out of them. However there is no diminishing return on Mastery, so per point you get the highest avoidance out of Mastery.

With my two trinkets I sit at around 75-76% avoidance with 166k fully buffed HP. Considering I get tagged often times for 20-30k damage unmitigated, I felt the extra avoidance outweighed the maybe 5-6k HP I could have in trade. When my Mastery trinket procs, I jump up to 98% while the Parry triggered trinket that gives Dodge only nets around 5-6% avoidance.

When both my trinkets proc, I am at 105% avoidance so that becomes the "block cap" where I will dodge, parry or block every attack (essentially a 40% reduction in damage). Only area I lack is hit/expertise, but honestly with the scaling of vengeance and in general I have had ZERO issues with threat even with such a low hit rating (a meager 1.89%). Just the same I will probably bump my hit rating up a little bit, but honestly starting a fight with Avenging Wrath, 3 point (Divine Purpose) SOTR (which doesn't consume HP if misses) pretty much is permanent threat once it lands. Even then I've noticed only one time tanking countless instances where I missed my two opening shots on a boss and still wasn't an issue. Usually after three 3 HP SOTR (if that many) I'm back to spamming WOG for extra damage mitigation.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
12/27/2010 1:26 PMPosted by Kodiakx
Essentially, yes. Dodge and Parry have diminishing returns on them, meaning higher they get, the less you get out of them.

not quite true.
it's not true DR, it's normalized. Just like armor.

block has increasing returns.
Edited by Gidgite on 12/27/2010 1:30 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]