Dungeon queue should be performance-based

85 Night Elf Hunter
I think from 1-10 it should start with quest that instruct us to use each spell as they are given. This should be how its done between each 10th lvl. At the end of each 10th should be a dungeon senerio that requiers you combine what you have learned between each 10.

Now since you have passed the last test at say lvl 10 by the time you have to do the final test at level 20 you should already know when to use serpent sting even though its not listed as the main objective. The quest should requier you to use what you have learned between 10-20. If you failed to see where you should have used serpent sting or arcane which was taught to you between 1-10 then it might have you thinking what you missed. So when you go back and retake the test you know better.

Each 10th I think should be like that. As we level is should be expected that things would get more challenging. I don't care if the reward is exp or some prize but the real reward is it gose on your record and its proof that you take your class serious and you will put yourself through the test to prove it. The real reward would be actually getting to go on raids and actually haveing fun.
Edited by Blackkat on 1/9/2011 12:04 PM PST
70 Undead Mage
Here's the funny part, if Blizzard were to implement something like what the OP is suggesting, people like the OP would be the first to complain. I'm serious, they would complain because something like that they believe would be good, but once it hits implementation, they'd hate it for being to grindy, too repetitive, too annoying, and basically not fun.
Edited by Crystavil on 1/9/2011 12:18 PM PST
78 Orc Warrior
I haven't read all the posts, but refering to the first one, this really wouldn't work. Every classes and specs are different, for the tank lets say, hold agro and survive for x seconds? As far as I know, Warriors would be greatly disadvantaged by this, we can't heal ourselves, just like paladins and druids. Even DK's have some little heals, and not every DPS/healer can be tested that way, they all are different.

And don't imagine the time and effort required to make that system, way too many things to take in consideration. IMO if you want a good group for heroics, don't use LFD and go there with your guild and people you know.
1 Orc Warrior
Group kickers with other kickers, and kickees with other kickees.
73 Night Elf Warrior
I don't like this. This is Performance Discrimination at it's best. Elitist. The difference between the A team football and the B team. What about the many players out there with learning disabilities? Are you going to tell them,"No, you're not allowed to do dungeons you have a learning disability." This is completely outrageous and downright shameful to anyone who would wish to discriminate against the disability population.
90 Night Elf Warrior
I really feel sorry for the people who still cant bear to teach people new content, Blizzard has already set a minimum Gear score if you will with the implement of Item level. This mean your are Physically geared to run the said dungeon with conscious effort. Leave the GM'ing to the GM's and Bite the learning curve.
85 Night Elf Hunter
After thoughts

I do think it would be dumb to do all this when your right at 85 and getting in que. I think as I have tried to explain before it should be done in progress as you level. I think by the time you que, gear score and performance score should determan that you are capable of doing what is requierd.

I think it will not only help the players but I think it would really help Blizzard. So they can see for them selves what areas have improved and what areas need more work and tweaking till that class is right on target for what is expected from them.

I can't expect this to start out perfect but I think its a step in the right direction.
100 Tauren Warrior
01/09/2011 12:13 PMPosted by Subrosian
yo do understand op that this would make the que even longer because of jackasses and othe r people that would rate bad on purpose just to be an ass

You're not rated by other people, you're rated by a piece of software that analyzes your performance and determines your rating.

-

@Blackkat

Rating someone before max level is pointless. I don't care how you could perform at level 10 when you only had 6 abilities and a cooldown, I care about how you're doing at level 85, where you have three bars full of abilities, half-a-dozen cooldowns and raid-awareness to keep track of.

Knowing how to use a spell is basic. I want to know if you have raid awareness, if you see an add that the tank lost and DPS it down before it kills the healer, if you see another DPS standing in fire and yell at them to get out of it, if you time your cooldowns to take advantage of heroism, if you know the phases of encounters.

"I know how to cast a spell" is worthless for end-game. Hell, if we want a real metric, it should see if you keyboard turn / mouse click and ban you from raids. That's the level of scrutiny we need, because end-game content doesn't have margin for bad players.

I don't think Blackkat was trying to say these lower levels are the end-all in knowing raids. It sounds more like teaching someone slowly how to use your tools so it doesn't become overwhelming all at once with 3 full bars.

To further comment, I do agree with you on your statement on a performance driven society, along with disagreement towards people using the term "elitist". The problem I see is some people are so set in their ways, they refuse to learn or listen. I find these groups of people the "holier-than-thou" self-righteous type too. I have tried helping these people before, but it has not been possible.

01/09/2011 1:07 PMPosted by Daax
I don't like this. This is Performance Discrimination at it's best. Elitist. The difference between the A team football and the B team. What about the many players out there with learning disabilities? Are you going to tell them,"No, you're not allowed to do dungeons you have a learning disability." This is completely outrageous and downright shameful to anyone who would wish to discriminate against the disability population.

Cataclysm Dungeons do demand more attention from the players to be successful, especially if they are on Heroic difficulty. If a person says it's their first time on an encounter, I will briefly say what I know and what general skill to apply for it such as an interrupt. I have had occasions someone suggested an LoS spot instead of interrupting 2 NPCs in a pull. I listened and agreed since that made it much less complex and easier.

The original post does need building to make it better. Others have suggested it to be modified towards a practice environment. Maybe we don't need to make it a requirement, but I have been in situations where I want to test out my limits in my abilities and gear without inconveniencing others. Only way I can do this is a guild run currently, but that isn't always possible since everyone has their life schedule.
85 Goblin Priest
01/09/2011 1:07 PMPosted by Daax

You would rather the way it is now, they get into the dungeon get mocked by the group and booted for "sucking". At least with a filter that matches players of similar abilities, they will get people on their own level.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Elitist to me is someone who turns you down before they even let you try. They boot you out on the 1st mistake. They boot you even when things go well and no one dies but complain you didn't do your part right. Elitist can't fail. They can't have fun. They don't role with the punches. They get knocked down and blame everyone else. They don't encourage they discourage.

I have disabling challenges like many other players out there. Many of us aren't going to get it the 1st time. Those of us who have learning challenges or physcle challenges have been dealing with it all there lives. You knock us down and we just get right back up. You fail to see that you have knocked a lot people. Lots of people team up and schem when they can't get the epic cookies.

With this we could practice at our own rait and meet the standards when we are ready to face them with fellow players
85 Gnome Warrior
You're an idiot. I can't join a heroic as a warrior if I can't CC.
85 Orc Warrior
I love this idea, and it's not like it would really hold anyone out, at worst it would require people to read a 3 paragraph guide about how to play their class before they could complete the quest(s)...which more people should do anyway
87 Tauren Shaman
12/28/2010 12:35 AMPosted by Sinkinglight
There should be quests in major cities that must be completed to enable queuing for a dungeon.

To queue as DPS:
Destroy target dummy with x hp within t seconds.

To queue as Tank:
Hold aggro on this target and survive for t seconds.

To queue as Healer:
Keep this target up for t seconds.

For harder dungeons, higher difficulty quests must be completed, e.g. to queue for heroics:

To queue as DPS:
Destroy target dummy with x hp within t seconds, while keeping one target CC'd and interrupting spells cast by the dummy.
If the target is out of CC for even a second, you die and fail the quest.
If you fail to interrupt the spell, you die and fail the quest.

Quest will have to be tailored to each class to take into account CC abilities and interrupt cooldowns.

To queue as Tank:
Hold aggro on this target and survive for t seconds while interrupting spells cast by the dummy.
Occasionally burst damage will be taken, and the tank will be required to use CDs effectively to manage.
Adds will spawn occasionally that the tank must pick up.
Again, any failure results in death and failure of quest.

To queue as Healer:
Keep this group of NPCs up while they kill this target dummy that does things a typical boss might do (damage on tank, AoE).
Obviously running oom or insufficient hps results in death and failure of quest.

Why this is necessary:
Problems with restricting queues based on average item level:
- Item level doesn't take into account gearing for the most ideal stats for the class/spec.
e.g. dps casters taking spirit gear.
Not meeting hit/expertise cap.
Doesn't distinguish between a 'tank' wearing dps gear and a tank wearing avoidance gear.

- Item level doesn't take into account player skill.
I'm sure people have seen dps do under 5k at 85, while also seeing skilled players do over 5k at 80.

- Gearing to push up item level to enable queuing for new dungeons encourages ninja-looting, instead of only taking what is actually beneficial.

Which would be great if WoW were a game that were more about actual skill and ability than gear and stats, but it's not so it would boil down to basically the same thing as we have now anyway.
85 Blood Elf Mage
I like this idea. I see it as something like the SC2 "Challenge" missions, where you enter an individual instance or phase, and run a series of exercises. They would be entertaining in their own right, be educational, and also serve as a skill-check.

I really like how some Cata quests give you a preview of boss mechanics, and this could take that a step further.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]