Dungeon queue should be performance-based

85 Human Priest
01/04/2011 8:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
We would love to implement better ways for Dungeon Finder to detect if players know what they're doing in dungeons beyond just the gear they've accumulated. We have some long-term design goals in mind for this we're not quite prepared to share this early on though. ;)

You had to say it...

Now people will keep speculating and opening whole new can of worms.
We would love to implement better ways for Dungeon Finder to detect if players know what they're doing in dungeons beyond just the gear they've accumulated. We have some long-term design goals in mind for this we're not quite prepared to share this early on though. ;)
As a way to help more people improve instead of just blocking out the less knowledgeable players, does part of design goal have a sort of 'class coach' to help people realize their role, gear selection and abilities?

My fiance's best friend plays a mage, but she won't take advice from anyone and actually wore an agility cape from 78-85. :P
1 Human Warrior
01/04/2011 8:17 PMPosted by Dessaryth
hopefully this will somewhat quieten the masses :)

Must be new here....
Community Manager
01/04/2011 8:17 PMPosted by Dessaryth

You shouldn't have to say that you are always looking for ways to improve the system, but thank you for the response, hopefully this will somewhat quieten the masses :)

Well, I felt compelled to respond because I actually had a conversation with Ghostcrawler today where he brought up this very point on his own.

I don't mean to placate by responding. It's something we really want to do. :)
84 Tauren Druid

I dont know if I should be scared or excited... Ive seen changes that were good and ive sen changes that were so horrible well there just isnt a word for it...

85 Human Warrior
warriors dont have cc's
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
01/04/2011 8:16 PMPosted by Razael
it's simple, just make them pass a sobriety test first right?

Sadly I've had guild members who actually play better when drunk.

I remember one raid leader who we used to make it a requirement that he be a certain % of sloshed before starting the raid. To the point of a beer/alchohol/spirits delivery from a guild member in the area.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Edited by Bluspacecow on 1/4/2011 8:24 PM PST
85 Gnome Priest
I'm sure some kind of achievement gained for a certain number of successful interrupts and things of that nature wouldn't be too complicated.

Tanking would be harder, maybe something along the lines of getting hit the most times by every mob in the instance? /shrug

Healing I have no idea as I don't even fully understand Blizzard's full intentions on the healing system other than 'conserve your resources'.
85 Human Rogue
I love this idea
85 Gnome Warlock
The only thing that bothers me about a system like this is that it could prevent people from being able to enter dungeons at all.

It isn't too much to ask that players do some research on dungeons before entering, but it also isn't too much to ask that more experienced players pass their knowledge on to those with less.

This system seems like it would alienate a good percentage of the population if it is too strict, and will have other parts of the population complaining if it isn't strict enough.
Community Manager
01/04/2011 8:19 PMPosted by Leylah
As a way to help more people improve instead of just blocking out the less knowledgeable players, does part of design goal have a sort of 'class coach' to help people realize their role, gear selection and abilities?

My fiance's best friend plays a mage, but she won't take advice from anyone and actually wore an agility cape from 78-85. :P

Sort of. One flaw with the current system, is if players fail in a pick-up group, they aren't told why they failed. People then tend to play the blame game, often directing malice at the healer(s).

So while I'm speaking more about class roles, I think the idea still lends itself to your question. It'd be helpful to get more information than just through trial and error. Groups could benefit if they knew they didn't wipe because the healer didn't manage mana well enough, but because the DPS wasn't high enough, or boss adds weren't properly rounded up, etc.
90 Goblin Rogue
01/04/2011 8:22 PMPosted by Zarhym

You shouldn't have to say that you are always looking for ways to improve the system, but thank you for the response, hopefully this will somewhat quieten the masses :)

Well, I felt compelled to respond because I actually had a conversation with Ghostcrawler today where he brought up this very point on his own.

I don't mean to placate by responding. It's something we really want to do. :)

Very cool, and my comment was intended to be nice, a response is almost always better than no response :)

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!
63 Blood Elf Paladin
01/04/2011 8:25 PMPosted by Eggbert
Tanking would be harder, maybe something along the lines of getting hit the most times by every mob in the instance? /shrug

I know a few hunters, mages, and rogues who would win that in my current pugs. :(
85 Gnome Death Knight
put some fire in the dps one, see if they stand in it.
85 Dwarf Paladin
i love your idea! So many times i've been in a dungeon and it takes like 20 minutes for the queue to say dungeon found and then when i get in there, the tank is very squishy or has dps gear and it cant take one hit or else it dies. and many times dps is too low and i have to heal the tank for a looong time (and i'm very mana efficient too) and the boss isn't even halfway down and im oom. so with the combination of a squishy tank, low dps, it usually results in failure. i think this is a great system and a great idea
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]