Dungeon queue should be performance-based

90 Blood Elf Paladin

scatter shot http://www.wowhead.com/spell=19503

Does not work on boss mobs..

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=34490/silencing-shot

also

Bosses are typically immune to silence effects, but are still vulnerable to interrupts. So the "Immune" you see popping up just means they aren't actually silenced for 3 seconds, but will still get interrupted.

this is the best guide to cc I have ever seen...
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/820741-The-complete-crowd-control-Guide.
Edited by Snóóp on 1/10/2011 9:11 AM PST
90 Undead Warlock
Nope this won't work at all, not all classes has interrupts like the lock doesn't. We can CC but not interrupt and the pets stun doesn't always work, so this won't work either way. Back to the drawing board with this idea.
85 Human Death Knight
There is another side of this coin also. Let's face it. It is embarassing to get into a group and not be able to perform to the level of the group.

This is one of the reasons that membership in a guild is important. We were all beginners at one time. I'm still learning. Going into an instance with guildees who know your limits and are willing to help explain things to you about the instance and how to improve your armour, enchants, gems and fighting skills is invaluable.

In a similar fashion, having an area where you could practice healing, tanking, dps (melee & ranged) with dummies would let everyone learn where they did not need to be embarassed by their lack of knowledge and/or skills.

I have been ranged or melee dps and have never tried tanking or healing. I would appreciate a place where I could go to work out some of the kinks in privacy. I might even be good at it. lol
85 Undead Priest
whats funny about the "ney sayers" in this thread is that they shoot down the entire idea, because one detail seems to be missing.

take the warlock above me. prime example. technically, you can bust out the felhound and use spell lock. sure it gimps yer dps and blah blah blah, but you DO have a spell interrupt.

moreover, if you spent time thinking about how to improve on an idea thats 90% there rather than shoot it down, you'd find that you actually contributed to this thread, rather than just showing up to be a "negative nancy"

my solution for the "my class cant do x,y,z":

make the quests CLASS SPECIFIC, AND ROLE SPECIFIC. your class trainers can hand out these quests, and it would test your abilities accordingly.

make it a chain of quests, each chain require the class to do more and more, and raise your "rating" each time you progress. for a lock one could measure DoT uptime, multiple CC'd targets, moving out of fire, switching to adds ect ect.

contributing to this thread is not hard, just logging in to say "it'll never work, we'll never make it" is code for "i cant think outside of the box".

back to the peanut gallery with the likes of you.
Edited by Lefthandpath on 1/10/2011 12:47 PM PST
90 Orc Shaman
Oh my goodness this sounds lovely. Basically it sounds like Blizz will point the finger for us (AWESOME)!!!

It would be nice to be able to say "I shouldn't have to drop .2 million healing on this fight... someone is messing up. See look at the Blizz finger... it's pointing to the stationary DPS.".
90 Tauren Druid
I completely agree with this especially get out of the aoe on the ground tactic for evry player. ppl just want to stand there and nuke like they did in wotlk, wake up guys healers just cannot heal through that like we used to be especially when 3-4 ppl in the group fail at mechanics. i can go through heroics not getting below 50% mana w/ a good group and i can go oom 2times in a fight w/ a bad one. stand in fire, you fail
85 Dwarf Paladin
01/04/2011 8:28 PMPosted by Zarhym

Sort of. One flaw with the current system, is if players fail in a pick-up group, they aren't told why they failed. People then tend to play the blame game, often directing malice at the healer(s).

So while I'm speaking more about class roles, I think the idea still lends itself to your question. It'd be helpful to get more information than just through trial and error. Groups could benefit if they knew they didn't wipe because the healer didn't manage mana well enough, but because the DPS wasn't high enough, or boss adds weren't properly rounded up, etc.

I'd like this idea. And it would be even better if you could extend it to raids too :)

I think part of the problem with healers being blamed more now than they ever were is just some people being in the Wrath mentality still. Perhaps in a few months this will be better, and the players who don't accept the game is different then are probably so closed-minded that I'd be surprised if they didn't suck.

On the other hand, some people just might not get it. It would be nice to be able to help those players in some way (provided they're willing to accept it; see what I said about closed-minded people), instead of just shunning them, which brings me to...

We would love to implement better ways for Dungeon Finder to detect if players know what they're doing in dungeons beyond just the gear they've accumulated. We have some long-term design goals in mind for this we're not quite prepared to share this early on though. ;)

I like this but it feels dangerous to me. I'm very concerned that such a system (like you have "x" kills of "y" bosses) would hurt new players greatly. You've certainly thought of ways to implement that?

I think a lot of the concern against this in this thread is from players who know they should shape up themselves but are comfortable in their own little place and don't want to change.

If a new player actually wants to get something done, they'll figure out a way to do it, because they already put the time into leveling to 85 and the money into getting the game, paying the monthly fee and getting three expansions. This is no small investment.
90 Worgen Death Knight
01/10/2011 8:40 AMPosted by Subrosian
This wouldn't work for one reason: Brains is greater than skill. You could lay down more dps than any other player but still die right away because you were too stupid to move out of the fire.

The Cataclysm heroics are hard, and "just burning" the boss doesn't work as well as it did in Wrath.

You need *both* brains and DPS, the metric can easily account for that. I have no use for people who tell me how "smart" they are who put out 3k DPS. I can put out 4 ~ 5K DPS on a Disc Priest using the Smite-Atonement build WHILE HEALING. If hybrid healers can do 4 ~ 5K DPS on trash, you need to be doing twice that, especially since Heroics typically demand dedicated healing (aka the 8 ~ 12k HPS encounters).

Just saying, that 5k dps is useless if your dead a minute in. At least the 3k will add up.
85 Gnome Mage
The only thing that will destroy wow is.... WoW 2 or Chuck Norris :P
Edited by Fabled on 1/10/2011 7:23 PM PST
90 Undead Warlock
01/10/2011 7:23 PMPosted by Fabled
The only thing that will destroy wow is.... WoW 2 or Chuck Norris :P

or rift... or gw2...
I like the idea only thing is when people get depended on a persons gear in order to do an instance they often times need the gear that the instance would give them in order to do more dpsing or healing so i think theres 2 sides to the coin here people want to group with people who can do a certian amount of dps or healing but everyones in it to get better gear at the same time there should be some leaniency with that.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think the way the system works now is pretty good. You have to realize that with over 10 million people playing this game the best way to learn to run dungeons is pug groups sure it can suck to be in a bad group but it is great to be in a good group and we were all there once. If people would try to help less experienced players instead of whining about their lack of abilities or gear or the other countless things I hear it would improve the dungeon runs quite a bit. I was with 4 or 5 diffrent groups last night and we slayed WotLK heroics. We had 2 deaths out of 4-5 dungeons. and those were in a group that we all joined the randon dungeon finder as a group and the run us through the same instance. I would rather see them put some more work into that system so random doesn't mean the same dungeon 4 times in a night of playing
85 Draenei Shaman
Any one else read this thread and think?
Going to leave it at that.
It's a horrible idea. Gear matters. You are basically setting up a system where people who have been in dungeons a lot will be in the more often. The doesn't help the situation. People need to learn, how can they learn if they are kept out for not being good enough, they can't.

I started healing, made mistakes. Ran OOM as I got gear. I slowly got better, slowly got geared and now I lead most groups I'm in. Under some stupid 'Are you good enough' system this wouldn't happen.

Look in a mirror, none of us go into a dungeon the first itme knowing exactly what to do. It's impossible. We all made mistakes. We all will make mistakes. Stop acting elitist.
Edited by Abigaius on 1/11/2011 4:11 PM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
Yep, agreed with OP.

30 minute queues for newbcakes, 1 minute for pros.

Blizz, at least give us dailies like giving us a warm up before doing dungeons so we can have shorter queues and stuff. ^^
90 Undead Warrior
Because reading up about a fight for 10sec, Teaching a fight to noobs or finding people with your keyboard is just too hard for some people.

If anything the only real problem Ive had is the fact that it is random and getting the right class combo can be fun.
Choosing between CC, Interruption, Buff.. watev
This is juts how it is and its fun, why try and take the challenge away from us?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]