how much DPS could a holy pally do?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm just wondering, how much DPS do you think a holy pally specced into the HS and exorcism talents with the right glyphs could do? With int giving SP, i imagine it could be an interesting amount. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't see this as a viable raid DPS, just an interesting thought.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A lot, actually.

Granted, this was at 80, but on more than one occasion I spammed exorcism on bosses and beat some of the actual DPS on recount.

Also bear in mind that you can't expect to have a SHRED of mana left. But it's fun to confuse people once in a while :P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Exorcism scales pretty terribly, and I don't know if weaving in holy shocks on cd for Inquisition would be an increase or not, but I'd guess in 85 dungeon blues you could prob get ~8k dps at least. Maybe more if you dedicated towards it with reforging/talents.

The leveling spec of my 83 Hpall has most of the shock talents and i can still heal dungeons fine so far. I don't know how you'd do dedicated though.
Reply Quote
With what I am wearing right now, I can get a hair over 4500 DPS on the training dummy without using Avg Wrath or Divine Favor. I think with more blue gear (and less PvP stuff) I could manage 5500+ (without Wrath or Favor usage). These numbers arent good, I know, so I am begining to conclude that raiding shockadin specs are not going to be popular.

However, we have to remember that the Paladin above almost all other classes is hybrid. A "shock spec" can still do quite a bit of healing. We're like a mana battery, we can do DPS all day and have mana left to toss heals. Then when we run low on mana we can DPS to recharge and keep going.
Edited by Ehrion on 12/26/2010 6:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Is that straight exo or with holy shock/inquisition?
Reply Quote
I have a rotation that I use. I tested pure Exo spam and the DPS was lower and I went OOM really fast.

here's what I am using:

Judgement
Shock
Exo
Exo
Exo
Shock
Judge
Exo
Exo
Exo
Shock
Inquisition
Exo
Exo
Exo
Shock
Judgement

Of course, sometimes I might change it up and do a judgement earlier or later depending on my mana usage. Judgement also heals me, so if I was ever taking dmg I might opt for that.

I have not tested adding Crusader Strike into the rotation (right after an Inq to recharge HP earlier), But I do not know if that would help at all. My feeling is that CS should be left out for max dmg, although if you wanted to spam Word of Glory, I might suggest CS.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, it's bad.

It is fun to throw your 4k dps on trash fights where you don't need to heal, though. I am playing with that in Heroics right now on the last mob in each pull. It's only like 500dps by the end of the dungeon, though. It's basically not necessary by any means, and not really useful as it could pull my attention away when I should be healing :)

Unless they give it about twice the dps it has now, it's not even close to any other dps spec.

Except maybe Retribution. lulret.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I had an opportunity during a heroic to battle test this: We were thinking about trying to out dps Setesh instead of gate crashing. The tank asked if I had a ret spec, and we all had a good laugh. So, we went full burn, me as holy, while the tank kited adds.

We popped full cooldowns, including timewarp. My initial damage shocked everyone. Out of the gate, I was the hardest hitter... for about twelve seconds. I was already lagging behind when my wings quit, and after I dropped down to about 6k I abandoned dps to save the flagging tank, finishing at around 4.

That clenched it for me. While 16k exorcism crits are a beautiful thing, you can't sustain it. Holy isn't going to be topping the damage charts this patch.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
You can get roughly 6k single-target DPS out of gear that DPS characters can generally pull 8-11k of single-target DPS out of.

So it's viable for PVP purposes, but not PVE.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I pull about 3.5k self-buffed, running around questing. I've tested it on fights where I don't have to worry about pushback, and can push it to 4k with regularity. Blowing Wings, Divine Favor, and Inquisition, I can pull about 5.5k until one falls off. I imagine I could problem eke a little more out of it if I were to reforge all my mastery into crit or haste, and could probably hit 6k with a few more buffs during my burn phase.

The issue is, Exo scales so poorly with spellpower, that our single best dps stat is haste - which, at the moment, is hard to come by.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Considering how many problems people seem to be having with heroics and healing, you would think that a potent healer/offhealer in a dps slot, doing decent dps, would make it a bit easier by virtue of doing what was needed in any given pull/encounter (assist healing or dps). I know that it made even the pre-nerf BC heroics and Kara a glide-through for our guild groups back in the day. Also, it's now easy to get all the healing talents of any importance, along with the holy dps talents of note in one convenient package. I guess i will find out when enough of our guild members get lvl'd up and start doing heroics...
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I agree that it's an interesting concept, but blizz may not balance encounters in such a way to make it viable. To take a holy in a dps slot, you're pushing out warrior and dk slots for their lack of cc, but what will really burn us is the possibility of enrage timers. If the timer is balanced around 4 dps, we're going to be the weak link. clutch healing is expensive, and so is exorcism spam, so I fear a hybrid dps and heal role might fine they don't have the mana to keep up more than one role at a time.

I'm not ruling it out, but there are a lot of drawbacks.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Just wondering, keeping in mind that this is all for fun and theory, has anyone tried it using exo, shock, and judge talents and glyphs? Like there is a glyph that makes Exo leave a DoT on the target.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not at the 85 lvl, but yes. There was a whole other thread on this very topic. It's sub-standard numbers (bout what ret gets), with some off-heal bonuses, etc. No, it should not at this point be considered a viable raiding spec, tho for 5man regs, it's actually not bad. It is more of a pvp spec. I found it to be a very fun spec tho, I use it for lvling. Decent dmg and absolutely no down time.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/27/2010 8:01 AMPosted by Darthkitty
Just wondering, keeping in mind that this is all for fun and theory, has anyone tried it using exo, shock, and judge talents and glyphs? Like there is a glyph that makes Exo leave a DoT on the target.

As it turns out, the frequency with which you cast Exorcism in this build makes the Exorcism glyph one of our weaker choices. What it's really meant for is Ret to use for Art of War procs - the theory is, they're going to have plenty off time between them, so the Exo DoT is doing extra damage for them in the meantime.

I've done quite a bit of testing, and right now our best glyph appears to be Holy Shock, followed by Divine Favor and Judgement. Judgement is never going to be a very hard-hitting attack (in comparison, anyhow), but it's one of your main three (especially with Arbiter of the Light allowing us to improve Conviction uptime.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/27/2010 10:17 AMPosted by Jantilla

As it turns out, the frequency with which you cast Exorcism in this build makes the Exorcism glyph one of our weaker choices. What it's really meant for is Ret to use for Art of War procs - the theory is, they're going to have plenty off time between them, so the Exo DoT is doing extra damage for them in the meantime.

I've done quite a bit of testing, and right now our best glyph appears to be Holy Shock, followed by Divine Favor and Judgement. Judgement is never going to be a very hard-hitting attack (in comparison, anyhow), but it's one of your main three (especially with Arbiter of the Light allowing us to improve Conviction uptime.)

Especially considering that with the cast time of Exo, you MIGHT get 1 tick of the DoT, unless you are on the move. It doesn't roll, it gets clipped each cast. I need to switch mine out.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
If you're planning to open with a burn, inquisition is totally worth it. It's easy to hold your holy power at full before an encounter, macro it to avenging wrath and divine favor, wait one gcd, and nuke.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]