Is Fire Blast's horrible damage intended?

I'm using arcane spec at full mana for these examples, to simply them.

Fire blast is critting for ~8k, 8 second cooldown, 3500 mana
Ice lance is critting for ~6k, spammable, 1000 mana
Scorch is critting for ~9k, spammable, 1300 mana
Arcane blast is critting for ~32k, (1300 to 9700) mana
Arcane barrage is critting for ~20k, 4 second cooldown, 2000 mana

Now, think about this for a moment, rather than inform me that I'm not supposed to use non-arcane spells, (ORLY?) or that different spells are different.

Fireblast has a cooldown, and costs over 3 times as much mana as ice lance. As you can see, ice lance does NOT have a cooldown, and it costs an amount of mana consistent with scorch, and other damage spells. Knowing that a spell is always available in pvp, and the free 2500 mana per cast, is very much worth 1-2k damage to me, in the current mana limited environment. Fireblast is close to getting retired forever, which is a shame, because it used to be a mage and shaman exclusive.

What about fire spec? It's golden there, right?

Fire blast, crits for 10k, 14k with ignite, still 3500 mana with a cooldown
Ice lance crits for 6k, still 1000 mana with no cooldown.

Only here, only in FIRE SPEC, does fireblast roughly equal ice lance, but it's still got the cooldown.

But you can get a talented cooldown reset, and it spreads dots! Yes, you get a 'free' reset of fireblast, but only if you've already used it once. To benefit from the impact reset, you have to use fireblast any time it is available, so that the impact reset isn't wasted. Is a 5k poke for 3500 mana, at the start of every fight, really worth it? Only you can answer that question. I'm not even mentioning that you generally have to save your impact procs for the right moment, so it's not a true 'free' fireblast. I guess that's supposed to be a benefit.

If you've read my other posts, you know by now that my point is not really that fire blast is weak. My point is that mage and warlock specializations are pointlessly unfair.

Hunters get a passive boost to ALL damage from all specializations. (not talking about mastery)
Rogues get a passive boost to ALL damage from all specializations.
Hybrids get a passive boost to ALL of whatever role they are fulfilling.

Mages and warlocks do not. They have to use the spells from their particular schools to get the expected levels of damage. All off-school abilities have a passive, persistent reduction of 20%. In arcane spec, arcane spells do 100% damage, all other spell types do 80% damage. In fire spec, fire spells do 100% damage, all other spell types do 80% damage. Frost, as well.

Sure, this is partially consistent with the way the original trees were designed. But it was never this bad. It was never so extreme that entire spells became completely worthless, like fireblast is in non-fire specs. Arcane originally had a benefit to ALL spell damage, to partially make up for the fact that it was a terrible pvp spec. That is now gone, you are no longer allowed to do expected levels of damage from all spells in arcane.
Edited by Haply on 12/27/2010 8:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
88 Troll Druid
Arcane barrage is critting for ~20k, 4 second cooldown, 2000 mana

And ur complaining?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
see: shadow word death above 25%
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I agree, I think it's disgusting that fireblast doesn't crit for at least 50k. it's totally not fair, especially considering ice lance, which has no cooldown, can crit for nearly that!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
You're using Fireblast wrong.....

With its increased critical strike chance it's vital in the fire spec to use right after a fireball critical for an increased chance to proc hot streak. A fire mage is generally rolling with 40%+ crit (Self buffed) chance so the increase from fireblast is a good chance to control your hot streaks.

So.... Fireblast damage is pointless, its an instant scorch basically with a high crit chance. Use it smart.
Edited by Lasher on 12/27/2010 8:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Not only did you fail to read or understand even the basics of what I said, but you're also completely wrong about the superfluous and unrelated information you've provided us with.

You don't spec into fire blast crit in a pve build, and you don't ever use fireblast in a single target rotation, unless you intend to fail as dps.
Reply Quote
81 Goblin Mage
12/27/2010 8:21 AMPosted by Lasher
You're using Fireblast wrong.....

With its increased critical strike chance it's vital in the fire spec to use right after a fireball critical for an increased chance to proc hot streak. A fire mage is generally rolling with 40%+ crit (Self buffed) chance so the increase from fireblast is a good chance to control your hot streaks.

So.... Fireblast damage is pointless, its an instant scorch basically with a high crit chance. Use it smart.

If you spec into it can spread fire dots which is a pretty amazing thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]