'Turn off growl'

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
I tend to notice growl is on if the pet is much higher on the aggro list than it should be (IE above anybody besides other pets, maybe healers). So I ask them 'is growl on?' The usual response is 'oops, it isn't now, sorry'.

Except this one time I got a response of 'yes, and I'm not turning it off'. I asked why and they said growl improves pet happiness and heals them. Now I did see a talent like this, but I think it was Tenacity only.

Is happiness and pet healing that much of an issue that hunters are having to leave on growl?
85 Dwarf Hunter
No, and even if it were, there's a glyph on mend-pet to increase happiness, and it heals your pet. There is a pet talent that increases it, but leaving it on in instances if it's a problem is just silly.
85 Worgen Hunter
There are very few situations that you should need to have extra healing on your pet. Mend Pet works fine for healing and, with a simple minor glyph, pet happiness.

There are also very few situations that you should be using a Tenacity pet. For instances, Ferocity pets or Cunning pets are more suitable. I carry with my a Cat, Wolf and Wind Serpent so I can have those buffs.

So this Hunter was probably considered in the wrong twice.
85 Draenei Hunter
When you are out soloing with your favorite pet and suddenly your 45 minute dungeon que pops up, there is a good chance you will forget to turn off growl right away. It's an honest mistake.

Also, generally speaking a hunter shouldn't be using a tenacity pet in a group, unless it's a very special occation. Ferocity pets are intended for group play and will provide greater damage output. No growl required.

That said, I also turn on growl in certain situations. There have been a couple times where I pulled off a boss kill by having my pet take over tanking when our tank died. Afterword, again, I may not remember to turn growl back off right away.
85 Draenei Hunter
Yeah, the only time i've ever used a tenacity pet was when my group didn't have kings. and my shale spider never has growl on, only my turtle does.
85 Troll Hunter
my pet tends to end up tanking the reaper 5000 in H DM
76 Worgen Hunter
If I turn on growl, or pull out the beetle ( Datank ) there is a problem with a sucky tank.

And they will have to deal with it.

A lot of times the pet will get aggro as BM and tanks will think Kill Command is a growl, or my cat's dex buff is one when it triggers.
85 Night Elf Hunter
01/02/2011 1:44 PMPosted by Vobe
Also, generally speaking a hunter shouldn't be using a tenacity pet in a group, unless it's a very special occation. Ferocity pets are intended for group play and will provide greater damage output. No growl required.

The damage difference is negligible in 5-man instances.
My cat does ~2.7k damage, my turtle does ~2.4k damage.

I often bring my turtle if I am doing CC in a PUG.
Tenacity pets can easily handle one mob by themselves (with Mend Pet) when ie: traps break early.
Edited by Treivaran on 1/3/2011 1:48 AM PST
85 Night Elf Hunter
Currently there is a bug for hunter pets, as when they die, even if growl was turned off, it will be turned on when the pet is revived, please do not auto assume we are doing it on purpose. Thank you.
85 Troll Hunter
Wait if Alliance elf tanks are as bad as Horde Elf tanks generally are.. then I understand, my pet can tank almost as efficiently as a lot of player tanks can.. which is unfortunate but i've had to tank an instance before whilst waiting on a new tank to join the party.

As to the "Tenacity pets are worthless" thing, I find Tenacity pets to be the most potent if you don't mind taking a little longer as they just DON'T DIE.

Growl heals.. basic attack heals... mend pet is free...

And I do have other pets for instances and whatnot, I have around a dozen different pets that I use from time to time.. favorite always being the boar even though I do have my worm and my Silithid. Also carry a Devilsaur.

Sometimes you pop up in the fray of things and don't remember to turn off growl, if you're like me you have more important things on your petcast bar... usually I have an instance pet set up but the first fight if I join mid-instance will almost always have my silithid or my Worm.

Anyways, Hunters have a lot of things to remember... we're a class that if you hit the wrong button you might not make it when your meatshield isn't doing any shielding (Such as turning off growl and having faith in some strange tank that half the time you feel your pet would do better... or PvP in general)

Hunter is the easiest class to solo, but in instances or PvP you have to play it right or you're just another huntard, there is a lot to learn with high-end hunting down to the final fact that there is only ONE ABILITY that ever really gets outdated in your entire tree (Immolation trap).. everything else is situationally important from Aspect of the wild to Scare Beast.
01/03/2011 1:46 AMPosted by Treivaran
The damage difference is negligible in 5-man instances.
My cat does ~2.7k damage, my turtle does ~2.4k damage.

If it's a Beast Master, and the Tenacity pet is a Worm, and your group is doing any kind of AOE, the damage difference won't be so insignificant. A Worm's burrow can put out a ton of nature damage on an AOE pack, and the Worm itself is invulnerable the entire time it's burrowed.

There are usually exceptions to every rule.

<3 Worms!

Now if only they would give the Chimaera a targetting circle for Froststorm Breath...
100 Night Elf Hunter
That reply was from a huntard. Sadly, some still do exist.
100 Night Elf Hunter
01/03/2011 2:29 AMPosted by Ltfrogg
With growl on only bad tanks lose aggro to a pet. Though because a tank is always looking to blame someone a hunter should turn off growl.

Wrong...on SO many levels. First off, a TANK is there to keep a boss off your ass. Anything that you do that gimps that is a huntard move.

2nd...with growl on, your pet is more likely to take DAMAGE...which is just plain STUPID.

The ONLY time, to turn growl on in dungeons or raids, is when you NEED the pet to pull aggro (like a mob off a healer, or to tank for s short time when tank dies).

BTW...protecting healers makes them happy. I have had a few thank me, and start healing my pet in instances. :)
100 Dwarf Hunter
The only pet I have that ever has growl turned on is my turtle.That is the pet I always have out when soloing. When I get called to an instance I dismiss him and pull out whatever DPS pet might supply a missing buff. A few times I have saw that the tank was about to die, dismissed whatever I was using and pull the turle out and sent him to to take over. I have saved a few wipes that way. Once or twice when I have hada really bad tank I have left turtle out to save time on trying to dismiss.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Short answer:

Food is cheap, if you want a happy pet, try feeding it

If you don't want to feed your pet, get a ferocity pet and put a point in bloodthirsty. If you are a beastmaster hunter, you may want to get to heart of the phoenix anyway so you are guaranteed a happy pet ALL the time, dead pet = 50% dps reduction, and that's bad.

Turn off growl. Just... turn it off. Get an add-on that tells you to turn it off if you are bad at remembering. I have raid pets and a farming pet. I switch them... one has growl on and cower off... the others have growl off.
80 Draenei Hunter
01/03/2011 9:15 AMPosted by Meldiren
With growl on only bad tanks lose aggro to a pet. Though because a tank is always looking to blame someone a hunter should turn off growl.

Wrong...on SO many levels. First off, a TANK is there to keep a boss off your ass. Anything that you do that gimps that is a huntard move.

2nd...with growl on, your pet is more likely to take DAMAGE...which is just plain STUPID.

The ONLY time, to turn growl on in dungeons or raids, is when you NEED the pet to pull aggro (like a mob off a healer, or to tank for s short time when tank dies).

BTW...protecting healers makes them happy. I have had a few thank me, and start healing my pet in instances. :)

I send my pet in on the main focus (show me the skull) mob so that these two things are much less of an issue. Then if I see a loose mob the tank is not or can not get I send my pet at them with the growl on to save the healer, but even then only if I don't have a trap cool down to use on the mob.
To me it is not so much about growl being on or off, but how it is being used. I turn my pet's growl on or off by request as well, as long as something has a good reason on why it will make the instance go better. If someone says 'me tank, growl off' that's not a helpful reason, but if the would say 'I'm having no problem with all the mobs, and want to keep them focused for AOE or other better damage' then I'll probably agree with that.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]