I'll probably regret this....but here goes...

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Help me be a better paladin. Later today, I am going to be resetting into Prot and Holy. Now I've played a paladin since...well forever to be honest, and I'm rather good at tanking. Never had any complaints. However let's face it, we can ALWAYS be better.

As you can see now, I'm mostly in Ornate and some gear drops. Ignore the two odd sockets on the bracers and gloves. I didn't realize blacksmiths could do that and have yet to find good gems for it. It doesn't seem to detract from me any though.

So, if you were given a character such as this, an experienced paladin player, and rather experienced healer (delved into Ret and found out why I hated it again >.<) who was willing to take any and all suggestions you had to heart; what would you do? Tell me how to be better, both as a Tank, and as a Healer; and watch as I actually do something you rarely see. I'll take your advice to heart.

Note: Keep in mind, I don't have the money to afford the best, but I want you to point me in that direction. What am I doing right, what am I doing wrong, and what would you do to help me be better?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Just to be clear, you're only interested in PvE and not PvP, correct?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, PvE. I should have been more clear on that. The closest to PvP I get is Tol Barad, and that's only when I get bored. I've never been good for PvP for some odd reason.
Reply Quote
7 Draenei Shaman
The first thing you can do on your way to being a welcome addition to a group is not to set foot in a heroic until you're out of that PVP gear if you can at all help it. Run the normal modes, get the loot, progress upwards. Don't "cheat" the ilvl system. It's dirty pool.

For Holy, yet again, you're going to want to gem for all intellect, and reforge crit and mastery to spirit and haste.

For your prot spec, ditch the points in Holy. You'll have enough to worry about without trying to cast what will amount to a futile heal. Aim down the ret tree instead. Pursuit of Justice is your friend, and most everything else in there will increase your threat. You might also want to ditch the points in Imp. Hammer and Eternal Glory in favor of filling out Divinity and Reckoning.
Edited by Fahoquagads on 12/31/2010 3:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't plan on doing any heroics until I've got the finer points sorted out. So yeah, don't expect me to be the typical "rofl I kanz tankz!" idiot and run out making things worse than they need to be.

I can say this much, with the gear I have now I was shooting not so much to make it into heroics; as trying to overgear myself as best I could with the hopes of surviving longer in normals. The idea being that I could replace what crafted and PvP gear I have in hopes of getting something better suited. I guess in a way you could call it a stopgap measure. As it is though, I flat refuse to go into heroics, since I recognize that what I have now though the "ilvl" may be right for it, the gear just isn't.

I will take the advice on speccing soon as I can (probably when I log in) and take about oh a day to get accustomed to the changes. I'm also reinstalling VuhDo to help with healing. I'd say maybe keep an eye on this post. I'll update with changes to the character as they develop. Consider Kierie here something of a community project. That actually sounds kinda fun in a way...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Good luck Kierie,

I am also working on normal dungeons to get myself ready for heroics. I do not like to go in blind and undergeared.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I'm not exactly sure what direction to point you in at the moment since it's almost 7 AM and I need to go to bed, (Not exactly in a researching mood at the moment) but I just wanted to say that there's nothing wrong with asking for help when you don't know what you're doing, and I'd go so far as to say that it's admirable that you did so.

I guess my first questions / suggestions for you are to get your reputations up. For prot, there's some good stuff from Wildhammer revered / exalted. There's also an epic from Ramkahen that you can get at exalted, as well as the Hyjal Wardens. You can get part of the way through revered just by doing the quests and it should be a simple matter to run a few normals until you're exalted.

For Holy, Earthen Ring and Ramkahen both have epics that you can buy - gloves and belt, respectively.

If you've got the money, you can make an epic belt for prot via blacksmithing, as well as an epic shield for either prot or holy.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll revisit this thread tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything else.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, considering I'm a hordie...I don't think I can get near the Wildhammers without them trying to bash my head in... :D but your suggestions are taken for what they are :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Oh sorry. Just replace Wildhammer with Dragonmaw. The items are identical anyways.
Edited by Sahar on 12/31/2010 11:26 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]