Cataclysm Shadow Priest PvE Guide

(Locked)

90 Draenei Priest
Yay for bumps!

We need to keep this one up. Like I said, finding this information was a hassle even with shadowpriest.com (which is still a good resource, btw)
85 Night Elf Druid
this was great, the only question I have is how to work Mind Spike into the equation?
Mind Spike is pretty situational right now and shouldn't be in your normal rotation whatsoever. Even though it is significantly stronger than MB, with or without Shadow Orbs, it wipes off all DoTs from the target. Reapplying the DoTs would be a major DPS loss and a huge loss in your mana pool as well.

The only time you should be using Mind Spike is to quick burn adds with ~200k health (estimated number, usually use your best judgement to see if they'll die before your DoTs can take full effect or not)

And thanks, Ayriel! :)
80 Undead Rogue
01/02/2011 7:00 PMPosted by Haotududis
Mind Spike is pretty situational right now and shouldn't be in your normal rotation whatsoever. Even though it is significantly stronger than MB, with or without Shadow Orbs, it wipes off all DoTs from the target. Reapplying the DoTs would be a major DPS loss and a huge loss in your mana pool as well.

The only time you should be using Mind Spike is to quick burn adds with ~200k health (estimated number, usually use your best judgement to see if they'll die before your DoTs can take full effect or not)

In PvE I've been using Mind Spike to purposely wipe DoT's from my target. I've seen a few instances where I need to reduce my DPS to nothing, and the damage of mind spike is less than letting my DoT's run their course, especially if they were just recast. Some examples of this being in the Maloriak fight to be careful not to push him to 25% before his second green phase, or in the Omnitron Defense System to not let VT and SwP wreck the shields killing raid members.
90 Goblin Priest
MH Weapon – Enchant Weapon - Power Torrent – Chance on proc to gain 500 Int for 12 seconds.
Or for a lesser version that’s more accessible:
[Enchant Weapon – Hurricane] – Chance on proc to gain +450 Haste for 12 seconds.

Off Hand – [Enchant Off Hand – Superior Intellect] - +100 Int

Two Handed Weapon – [Enchant Staff – Greater Spellpower] - +81 SP

Unless Blizzard has changed it, 'Enchant Weapon' should be able to put the enchant on either a 1Her or a 2Her.
85 Blood Elf Priest
I am having trouble wrapping my mind around not casting Mind Spike at all, especially when I use arch angel and shadow orbs are up my mind spike is critting for around 40k. How can that spell be a dps loss if I cast it as my dots are ending anyways and need to reapply anyways?

I think this is the best spriest guide I have seen yet on the forums, and appreciate the note about DP spam during movement, as that is something I had not thought of. Ideally, you could make a few sections more concise to improve readability. I think you spend a bit too much time on glyphs, for example. If you are serious about updating it, then I would be interested in seeing this stickied, as there is no spriest thread yet available on the forums.

However, one additional point that you may want to address is how hit weaves into stat weights. Your guide makes the supposition that the hit cap should be reached, however from what I have read this is not the case. Given that our DoTs do the majority of our damage, not our nukes, misses have a much lower impact on our DPS now than they did previously. My understanding is that Haste > Hit, even below the cap.
Edited by Mnemo on 1/3/2011 7:54 AM PST
You simply recast them. If having more haste moves you beyond the next haste threshold, my understanding is that this outweighs the cost of a missed global. I made the comparison of missing a MB because I assumed it was obvious that the potential loss of the buff we gain from it would be more problematic (but still compensated for by getting additional DoT ticks).

Again, this is second-hand and could be incorrect, but if it is not true I would like to see some math on the topic one way or another. I will do it myself later when I have time if someone else doesn't have it immediately available.
85 Blood Elf Priest
because full dots + mind flay + shadow fiend > *

ok, but shadow fiend is a cool down, once per fight on i dunno maybe 99% of fights, so what about the REST of the fight when shadowfiend is not available. and even still If I have to recast DP and VT anyways, I dont see how taking 1.3 seconds to toss 40k in is going to reduce my damage, not to mention shadow fiend still does dmg with no dots up, so i guess I dont see the point of your reply at all.

Edit: Also it seems to me that tossing a Mind Spike in makes tends to make my next Mind Blast instant cast and gives it +30% to crit. So as DP and VT end (or just VT really as DP gives bonus for extra reapplication anyways) How does it not make sense to drop a mind spike, recast VT, DP, SW:P, MF, instant mind blast crit. I dont understand how adding that into the rotation wont increase damage, guess I need to try it both ways.

edit : silly word error
Edited by Shalarlight on 1/3/2011 8:46 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
01/03/2011 8:40 AMPosted by Shalarlight
because full dots + mind flay + shadow fiend > *

ok, but shadow fiend is a cool down, once per fight on i dunno maybe 99% of fights, so what about the REST of the fight when shadowfiend is not available. and even still If I have to recast DP and VT anyways, I dont see how taking 1.3 seconds to toss 40k in is going to reduce my damage, not to mention shadow fiend still does dmg with no dots up, so i guess I dont see the point of your reply at all.

Edit: Also it seems to me that tossing a Mind Spike in makes tends to make my next Mind Blast instant cast and gives it +30% to crit. So as DP and VT end (or just VT really as DP gives bonus for extra reapplication anyways) How does it not make sense to drop a mind spike, recast VT, DP, SW:P, MF, instant mind blast crit. I dont understand how adding that into the rotation wont increase damage, guess I need to try it both ways.

edit : silly word error

You would need to do 3 mind spikes in order to get that instant mind blast and have it crit. Each application of mind spike gives you a 30% chance. It would be interesting to test it out, though. I just wonder if it would eat up too much mana.
90 Draenei Priest
*IF* you prefer to include MindSpike in your rotations, be sure to cast DP right after it followed by the MindBlast. It will still give your MB the casting reduction (up to 6 seconds after casting MS) and will also help slightly with mana regen.

I dont really know a lot about crunching numbers, so i dont want to post inaccurate information, but the mana regen for me suffered when I used this in my rotation, for sure. But like I said, I didn't number crunch, so maybe if you have no mana issues this could help you out?

Happy Bumping! How do we request this get sticky'd? Does blizz just need to read it or.....?
85 Blood Elf Priest
You would need to do 3 mind spikes in order to get that instant mind blast and have it crit. Each application of mind spike gives you a 30% chance. It would be interesting to test it out, though. I just wonder if it would eat up too much mana.

I dont think you want to stack 3 times, just casting mind spike once is enough to make the mind blast instant, and the +30% crit is just cake.

I use the 3 stacks of MS crit buff on "dry" adds with no dots, 3 Mind spikes and a instant MB crit lead into SW: D pretty nicely, though it is still bad efficiency compared to alot of classes on adds. Speaking of which, how do you ramp up on adds, i feel woefully underpowered when adds start showing up.

Edit: I realized that it would take 2 MS casts to reduce MB cast time 100%, so maybe this is why this is not as good as I was imagining, though, I can still see a place for a chance at a 40k crit, increased crit chance on next MB and along with decreased casting speed, all at a time when you would recast 2 out of your 3 dots anyways. So in short I probably would still only cast 1 and hope for the whopper crits.
Edited by Shalarlight on 1/3/2011 12:19 PM PST
85 Dwarf Priest
I think Mind Spike gets viable when you reach a certain level of Haste. At 1.2 seconds to cast, I usually open with 3 MSp followed by VT, SWP, DP and instant MB crit (running as much as possible during the last 3 to get a Shadowy Apparition.) Then I Mindflay to Archangel and usually have an orb or two by that time to MB again and recast VT/DP before settling in to MF spam. The MSp at the beginning are typically the only ones I ever cast.

It'll be real nice if Blizzard ever makes our dots auto update their damage.
Edited by Bjoren on 1/3/2011 9:11 AM PST
85 Human Priest
well done, dude
85 Dwarf Shaman
Bumping this to the top. Make sure you hit the "Like" button so we can get this stickied. Great info man!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]