Shaman CC

85 Draenei Shaman
I looked around for the suggestions forum, but couldnt seem to find it. So I shall put this here and see what you other Shamans think.

My problem with Shaman CC is that I am primarily Resto. So when grouped most tanks count me as one of their CC roles. BUT, hex and bind elemental require hit to be effective, even against same level 85 mobs. Being a draenei gives me 1% hit, but even with that I have a 3% failure rate against lvl 85 mobs. And in heroics, those mob levels go up.
I missed 3 hexes in a row last nite in our heroic and 2 cost us a wipe.

Cant something be done here to help us out? Are we not supposed to CC while in resto? Gives us a spirit to hit conversion for those spells? something?

Anyone else ran into this problem? I realize this isnt life changing or even a huge big bang problem, but it is certainly something that bugs me and I think could have an easy fix.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Spell hit on a healer has been a problem with practically every healing class when asked to do some sort of CC. All you can really do is explain to people that your CC is very unreliable. Or you can move more points into elemental and get the spirit to hit rating if you really feel it is paramount.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Have no problems at all. Rarely miss hexes as resto, and when I do it isn't a big deal. I mark my own hex target so that if it breaks early or misses then no real damage is done. I wouldn't recommend getting elemental precision, dropping the points in enh isn't worth it.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Pick the least threatening target to cc imo. I usually mark my hex on a caster mob, so if the hex does break, I can wind shear it.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Just say in Party chat "All my CC spells miss, cause I'm Resto"
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Spec 8/2/31 if it's becoming a problem for you.
Reply Quote
01/05/2011 9:02 AMPosted by Yonder

I would not recommend this because you would drop far more valuable talents just to be able to CC.

On a different note, why is hex so broken, half the time it breaks prematurely (not damage, just random breaking), when it clearly states it should last 1 min, not "up to 1 min" like some CC says. It's really obnoxious due to the fact it's on a 45 sec CD.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I just try to CC when I can. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it misses (and I let the party know this). If Hex misses, I just try and work around it and keep everyone alive. If it's Bind, who cares, it has no cooldown, do it again.

No one seems to mind so far, they're just happy to have a CC option at all. Provided the dungeon allows for the CC to work (which SFK does not sadly).
Reply Quote
It's been a problem forever with healing classes that need to CC. Sometime in WotLK Blizzard said they wanted to fix it, but they haven't done anything so far.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
01/05/2011 9:09 AMPosted by Vasher

I would not recommend this because you would drop far more valuable talents just to be able to CC.

On a different note, why is hex so broken, half the time it breaks prematurely (not damage, just random breaking), when it clearly states it should last 1 min, not "up to 1 min" like some CC says. It's really obnoxious due to the fact it's on a 45 sec CD.

There isn't a single talent, in any tree, that heals or mitigates more damage incoming to your party than CC'ing an extra mob, or that results in a more favorable savings or gain of mana.

Now, all of that is useless if you aren't actually needed to CC mobs, but like I said, if a Resto Shaman is finding that CC is consistently lacking in groups, 8/2/31 solves the problem.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
01/05/2011 9:09 AMPosted by Vasher

It checks your hit while CC'd and will break early. One of the major reasons the healer shouldn't be the CC'er and it should be a DPS role.

01/05/2011 9:39 AMPosted by Tyrion
It's been a problem forever with healing classes that need to CC. Sometime in WotLK Blizzard said they wanted to fix it, but they haven't done anything so far.

I do remember glyph for Mind Control back when Naxx part2 was relevant to give Priest 17% hit for that spell. If Restos ask nicely you can maybe convince Blizz to give a similar glyph for Hex.
Edited by Extënze on 1/5/2011 9:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
A glyph would be an acceptable solution so long as it was a major or minor and not a prime.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Simple solution

Just say your CC's are prone to missing since you're resto

If they don't like it, that's tough
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
01/05/2011 9:39 AMPosted by Yuuzu

Because you have no hit.

Why does no one get this yet?

Probably because it's not obvious and there's nothing in the buff description or the tooltip to indicate that lack of hit causes the CC to break early.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
01/05/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Varshon
Probably because it's not obvious and there's nothing in the buff description or the tooltip to indicate that lack of hit causes the CC to break early.

Neither does any spell say that you won't hit unless you are hit capped. It's a spell you need hit to hit the target.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
01/05/2011 11:55 AMPosted by Extënze
Neither does any spell say that you won't hit unless you are hit capped. It's a spell you need hit to hit the target.

Actually, it does. Under the tooltip for hit.

Once I've hit a target with a DoT, it doesn't magically fall off because I'm not hit capped.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
So basic responses...

1. Suck it up or respec into totally useless talents for 1% of my activity.
2. Working as intended, we heal not CC.
3. Pick lower priority targets and be prepared for the tank to have to pick up an extra mob.

Already using step 3. Love the idea of step 2, however sometimes a group needs the extra CC. Option 1 can jump off a cliff.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
01/05/2011 12:16 PMPosted by Varshon

Once I've hit a target with a DoT, it doesn't magically fall off because I'm not hit capped.

Isn't the DoT still checked for resists per tick?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

Isn't the DoT still checked for resists per tick?

Resists yes, I think so. But that's spell pen, not hit.
Edited by Varshon on 1/5/2011 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]