Awakenimg's Guide for New Guild GMS

90 Night Elf Druid
In response to having people whispering me for advice on being a GM of a Guild, I decided to post a rough guide.

1/ First download Guild mailer from curse.com.
2/ Send a mail out to all the guildies asking them what they want the Guild to be?
i.e. a social guild, a social levelling guild, a social raiding guild, a hard core raiding guild, a pvp guild any thing that your members want. This establishes a clear aim of the guild.
3/ Set targets for the guild that are both long term and short term. I.e. Our long term aim is to be a level 25 guild, but for now let’s get to level 5.
4/ Decide on your guild recruiting policy. How big will your guild be? Are u going to spam trade for anyone (if so limit to a few times a day and make it short and to the point i.e. we r looking to recruit holy paladin for pvp team level 4 guild gankers r us), friends only. Who will be able to invite; if everyone then fast growth; GM only slowest growth.
5/ Have a lowest rank that gives limited or no access to bank tabs. Make new recruits unless friends wait a certain time to be promoted to what ever level u decides. This stops ninjas from ninjaing your guild. Few ninjas will wait a month. Also limit withdrawals of all except officers to 2 items per tab.
6/ Establish how your bank tabs will work. Will they be based on levels or use i.e. general, patterns and mats, crafted and boe, raid materials, officers only? Make one tab officers only for controlling those hard to get and expensive items.
7/ what will your ranks are based on i.e. time in guild. Levels?
8/ Decide what r the rules of your guild post them in guild info tab and keep them short and to the point. I.e. No trolling in guild. Encourage Guildies to be responsible in trade general chat, every time they troll people associate with your Guild.
9/ Do not lend gold from Guild Bank. Have a no begging rule. As GM do not take Gold from Bank unless u explain why. I.e. purchase 5th tab.
10/ Encourage Officers and Guildies to assume responsibility for the Guild. If no one is doing anything till u log on then u have a problem.
11/ Above all remember is a game, set aside a day for guild fun activities. I.e. World Bosses, Critter Kill Day. I find reset is a good day.
12/ Decide how u r going to fund your guild. Donations from members, all gold or drops from raids or whatever the guild can or will do. What u will use that gold for? (Repairs, buying bank tabs etc.)
13/ Make sure above all else your guild is on the same page as u.
14/ Make sure everyone has Deadly Boss Mods at higher levels.
As I said this is a rough guide and hopefully more people will contribute to this discussion so as to ensure new GMs have a free and available resource to use.

Reply Quote
You're GM of Deathforce..lmao
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Forgot to mention. Unless you are planning on doing high end raiding at start, then voice communication in guild is free and easy to set up. Wowchat!
1/ Press letter " o "
2/ Goto chat tab at bottom
3/ Click on red "ADD" button
4/ Type the name of your Guild into the box
5/ Choose or do not choose a password
6/ Right click your guild's name in the custom box and enable voice
7/ Make sure microphone enabled under voice (press esc)
8/ Inform your guildies how to do same.
The sound quality is not as good as the services you pay for but now you and your guildies can talk, for free.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hi! Derunis I am glad to hear from you again and yes I still remember you. Thanks! Frontin I was unaware of that have not used it for a while, will check it out. I know it keeps updating on me after ages of being obsolete.
Reply Quote
Ppl actually ask u for advice?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Please lutieloo if you have nothing useful to add go find somewhere else to share your sparkling personality. If anyone can think of something else we can add please feel free to do so.
Edited by Awakenimg on 1/5/2011 2:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Reported piecemaker. Please if u feel that all you can offer is personal attacks go elsewhere. Now whether u like it or not there r some players who would like to make this server a better place. So please leave server if u feel that this is a problem and let the rest of us play in peace ( no pun intented ).
If u have some actual suggestions to better help new guild leaders then please offer them.
Edited by Awakenimg on 1/5/2011 4:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
<Deathforce> is the alliance version of <PAIN>
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
K If u think that then please offer something better. Did u miss the bit about offering actual suggestions. So far only one person has actually made a contribution that helps. So I know it is hard but I am sure that with a little work u may actually be able to put in words where u think the guide could be improved.
Edited by Awakenimg on 1/5/2011 5:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Honestly saintly u will not be missed. Please do not write and tell us which server u go to.
Reply Quote
Guess what? No one cares

I care.

I would like to thank you Awakenimg for this detailed, well thought out and easy to read guide, it is really going to help me run <MOVIN MY HIPS LIKE YEAH> in a much more efficient manner.

In particular i like the point regarding guild events, very good idea. Right now i'm organising a Ventrilo concert for all guild members (possibly guild friends as well) where we will sing along to any good songs whilst questing and instancing.

The playlist thus far:

1 - Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA
2 - Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA
3 - Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA
4 - Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA and so on

I will definately return to read over this post as it is teaching me alot. Don't worry about Saintly, jealousy does strange things my friend, strange things.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
The playlist thus far:

1 - Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA
2 - Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA
3 - Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA
4 - Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA and so on

This playlist sucks, there's not enough miley.
Reply Quote
01/06/2011 12:49 AMPosted by Magicman
This playlist sucks, there's not enough miley.

There's never enough Miley my friend, never.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
01/05/2011 8:50 AMPosted by Azlol

In particular i like the point regarding guild events, very good idea. Right now i'm organising a Ventrilo concert for all guild members (possibly guild friends as well) where we will sing along to any good songs whilst questing and instancing.

Can I come please? I am a very poor singer but I love Miley Cyrus
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]