best professions for specific classes?

40 Undead Mage
I've been playing WoW for a couple of months now and I seem to have the hardest time with deciding on what professions to go with on each toon. I've discovered so far that some professions are way less profitable than others...The least profitable profession I have tried so far is skinning, the most profitable so far has been inscription. The most useless production profession I have tried so far: engineering, it seems to be just a money sink and the funny gadgets you make don't really seem to help your game play at all.

I realize of course that I can't get a good perspective on any given profession until I have seen it at the highest levels. At least from the lower levels some of the professions seem totally useless. Does skinning ever become profitable? By level 85 maybe? Does engineering ever become actually useful? I'd love to hear from people with experience at the high level end of things.

My main questions are:

1. What in your opinion is the best / most synergistic combination of professions and classes?
2. What in your opinion is the most profitable and least profitable professions?
3. Is there any profession you think is totally useless on any toon?
4. Is there any profession you think is a MUST have, on either a specific type of toon, or just at least one toon on your roster?

My goals with professions is not just to have the most profitable. I also want to consider what would be the most beneficial to a specific build / play style. I.e. is there a preferred combo of professions for tank builds?

And then of course, for practical purposes I need at least one toon that can consistently be profitable with his professions....

Another good question with the class / profession combos is, would suggestions change if the toon was primarily PvE or PvP? I play on both a PvE and PvP server, so I'm interested in how that factors in as well.

It's giving me a major headache trying to decide which professions to go with on each toon I make! And then I level up a toon up to like 40+ and realizing I didn't take the best professions and feeling like I should delete the professions and start over. I'd rather try to get it right at the character creation stage....

One idea I had was to switch my Rogue from alchemy / herbalism to skinning / leather working. He is only level 24 with about 100 skill in each profession. I was thinking since leather is the only armor he can use, and since skinning increases your critical strike rating, that seems like a natural choice for a Rogue. But will I discover later that actually alchemy / herbalism is a more useful combo for him? Or something else?

I appreciate any insights you can share with me, thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
2 gathering professions are nice to get you a good bank roll going. One method I've used is pick a profession I want later, and choose the appropriate gathering skill for that profession, and then whatever gathering skill for the second.

So you already have herb/alch. Drop alchemy, but keep herbalism. Pick up skinning. Continue herbing, and sell all your herbs on the auction house, but KEEP ALL YOUR LEATHER in your bank. Later, when you have a good bit of money and are a higher level, you can drop the herbalism, and pick up leatherworking. You will have all your leather in your bank to power level your leatherworking without having to buy as many mats, and you'll have gold from when you sold all your herbs.

Also, it is good to have one enchanting character so you can send all the unused things you make from crafting like leatherworking and blacksmithing, and they can disenchant it.
Edited by Wërth on 1/5/2011 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
01/05/2011 4:56 PMPosted by Yamaraj

1. What in your opinion is the best / most synergistic combination of professions and classes?
2. What in your opinion is the most profitable and least profitable professions?
3. Is there any profession you think is totally useless on any toon?
4. Is there any profession you think is a MUST have, on either a specific type of toon, or just at least one toon on your roster?

1- This will depends entirely on what classes you're looking at. Typically cloth wearers might go for tailoring/enchanting. Mail and leather wearers might go for LW/skinning. And plate wearers might go for blacksmithing/mining. Depending on the class or spec you might want to sink into JC, alchemy or engineering.
2- This will depend on how things function on your server and how much time you invest. On average gathering professions (skinning, herbalism, mining) will be the most profitable. They're raw materials that others can buy and transmute, forge, breakdown, etc into what they need. If you go as enchanter, you may have to decide do you want the money or the skill ups right now since enchanting (in a roundabout way) has its own built-in gathering system.
3- No. You can find some way to make use of a profession. Does it necessarily make practical sense for a priest to be a blacksmith? Not really. But either way you can still level and sell your wares!
4- A gatherer. You'll always have a steady flow of raw materials. What you feel is best to farm and sell is up to you.

My goals with professions is not just to have the most profitable. I also want to consider what would be the most beneficial to a specific build / play style. I.e. is there a preferred combo of professions for tank builds?

See answer above. If you're into min/maxing you may decide to take a combination of crating professions as opposed to craft/gather. This of course requires that you have at least 1 other toon that can farm for you, or be prepared to shell out a lot of gold.

Another good question with the class / profession combos is, would suggestions change if the toon was primarily PvE or PvP? I play on both a PvE and PvP server, so I'm interested in how that factors in as well.

Most professions offer something that can be used in PvE and PvP. It's mostly a matter of knowing what you're doing and using what's best for you. Some professions could arguably have better benefits (ie- alch, eng.) but pick what you feel works best for you.

It's giving me a major headache trying to decide which professions to go with on each toon I make! And then I level up a toon up to like 40+ and realizing I didn't take the best professions and feeling like I should delete the professions and start over. I'd rather try to get it right at the character creation stage....

Don't give up! All professions can make money, but ultimately if you don't like it, you wont be as apt to put the time into leveling it. Certain professions might be slightly more likely to make money than others, but it's more important that you find some that suit you and your play style and what you enjoy most. Remember, if you decide you don't like it, it's as simple as unlearning and trying something new. Good luck to you!
Reply Quote
01/05/2011 5:12 PMPosted by Wërth
2 gathering professions are nice to get you a good bank roll going. One method I've used is pick a profession I want later, and choose the appropriate gathering skill for that profession, and then whatever gathering skill for the second.

So you already have herb/alch. Drop alchemy, but keep herbalism. Pick up skinning. Continue herbing, and sell all your herbs on the auction house, but KEEP ALL YOUR LEATHER in your bank. Later, when you have a good bit of money and are a higher level, you can drop the herbalism, and pick up leatherworking. You will have all your leather in your bank to power level your leatherworking without having to buy as many mats, and you'll have gold from when you sold all your herbs.

This strategy doesn't make much sense. It robs you of the low level gold making capacity of one of your gathering professions (one of the chief reasons for taking a gathering profession) and also robs you of bank space, all to store a bunch of relatively common trade skill items you will have no problem buying when you decide to level your crafting profession.

Try this instead:

Take two gathering professions. Gather all you can, auction all you gather.

If you intend to level a crafting profession that will use one of these gathering professions when you get closer to level cap, then keep any rare gathered mats you may need from these profs as you level them. For example, keep a few hides or some oddball scales if you are planning to take leatherworking, but auction all the leather. Same thing would go for any rare metals (gold, silver, etc.) if you were planning to level blacksmithing.

Use that gold to enrich yourself as you level. Keep selling.

When you finally decide to level a crafting profession, you will have a giant mountain of gold. Drop the gathering profession that isn't feeding your crafting profession (unless it's really making bank) and use the big bankroll to level your crafting profession. If this expansion proceeds like every other one, odds are the mats you need will actually be cheaper when you need to buy them than they were when you sold them. The Auction House will have ended up being a fantastic and near limitless bank that cost you no bag space.

Enjoy your crafting profession.
Edited by Harlan on 1/5/2011 6:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
That works if you know what you are doing in the AH and sell at market price rather than undercutting the lowest price. I never pay over market price. And the problem can be that there isn't a big enough supply of certain materials to where I would have to pay a premium.

I don't see the point to sell mats that you will need to buy back later for your crafting profession. Maybe sell the low level stuff, like Light Leather, but the higher end stuff I would keep so you don't have to buy them later.

Though, I see your point at least for Cataclysm mats. They are expensive as all get out now, but will get cheaper as the market floods as more and more people start gathering them. In my experience, it is always the mid level stuff that is expensive, because a lot of people are doing low level alts (that they will give up on at some point) so there is an abundant supply of low level stuff like light leather, and high level stuff (I don't know what it is in Cata, no skinners that high) but not much for the mid level stuff, like in Outland.

Really, I'd use a guide like this:
http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow-leatherworking-guide.html

With the materials list, and stock up all I need to level fully, and sell the excess once I have enough as called for in the leveling guide.
Reply Quote
01/05/2011 6:43 PMPosted by Wërth
I don't see the point to sell mats that you will need to buy back later for your crafting profession. Maybe sell the low level stuff, like Light Leather, but the higher end stuff I would keep so you don't have to buy them later.

01/05/2011 6:32 PMPosted by Harlan
It robs you of the low level gold making capacity of one of your gathering professions (one of the chief reasons for taking a gathering profession) and also robs you of bank space, all to store a bunch of relatively common trade skill items you will have no problem buying when you decide to level your crafting profession.

It's really pretty simple -- money is easy to get at end game even without professions. Every uncompleted quest is gold in the bank, as are dailies. Gray items looted from mobs will sell for what would be serious gold to the low level player. It's actually tough to not make gold at end game.

By comparison, low level gold is relatively hard to come by. It isn't a major challenge anymore, but it's still way tougher to get than late game gold. Unfortunately, you still need a good amount of it early even with the decrease in cost of just about every gold sink in game.

So depriving yourself of early game gold to avoid spending late game gold (that you've already effectively spent by not selling mats early), and doing so in a way that deprives you of bank space (another thing that demands gold to get and is helpful to have plenty of as you level) makes no sense.

Even if you suck at the AH, you can probably level your crafting profession for a nominal expense if you sell early and then buy back when you are ready to level it. The mats will be there.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
I see your point. I prefer doing it the other way, but then again, I only ever worry about gold for the first week on a new server when I'm getting my Auctioneer data and to get 50 gold or so in starter cash, then I just buy and sell to make gold on the AH. I haven't worried about leveling a gathering profession in a long while either.

In the end, I think it'd be basically a wash with what actually costs more gold, saving or selling, but as I said, I've never had problems with making gold in other ways. Maybe some people would be better off with the low level gold as you say.

You know what? You convinced me. Go with Harlan's idea.
Reply Quote
78 Orc Hunter
I'm with Harlan here.
20g at level 20 means so much more than 200g at level 85.

IMHO, there's no point in having a crafting profession to gear a toon unless you have a higher level gathering toon to get mats.
Quite soon in your crafting career you'll find that in order to make level appropriate gear, you need mats from areas that are to high for you to safely traverse.

Engineering has always been about the toys - never about the profit.
At various times, it's been a great PvP profession.
In WotLK it got a lot of awsome sauce. With Cata though, it got hit very hard with the meh bat.
Edited by Nok on 1/5/2011 11:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
All professions are they're for a specific reason..
Blacksmithing, create armours for various levels and even epic gears.
Mining, helps out with Blacksmithing and can get you a decent amount of monies.
Engineering, can create mounts as well as other various needs.
Alchemy, transmutation master.. etc. A nice way to make cash.

None are pointless.
Reply Quote
Excellent necro. Not pointless at all.
Reply Quote
All professions are they're for a specific reason..
Blacksmithing, create armours for various levels and even epic gears.
Mining, helps out with Blacksmithing and can get you a decent amount of monies.
Engineering, can create mounts as well as other various needs.
Alchemy, transmutation master.. etc. A nice way to make cash.

None are pointless.

I would tell you that the issue is not whether each profession has a point, but whether some are better at certain points in the game than others, but really, I've said all I want to say on this topic in the two posts above I wrote six freaking months ago.

Everyone should do what they want, but if one takes, for example, Blacksmithing and Mining at level 5, he or she will be broke, not be able to afford big bags or mounts, and will waste a lot of time slowly crafting items he or she can't use.

Gold is king at low levels. Do what you can to maximize it. That typically involves not wasting a profession slot on a crafting profession you won't be able to keep at level just by gathering, doubly so if you intend to auction any of those gathered mats to make gold, which is what you should be doing with them.
Reply Quote
3 Human Mage
what happened to slowly building a profession. you really don't need a ton of gold in the begining
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/21/2015 03:34 PMPosted by Giliseanesa
what happened to slowly building a profession. you really don't need a ton of gold in the begining

No, but you also don't have any gold either.

With the two flight trainings at 60 taking up a huge bulk of the gold you'll make between 1 and 60. You can't really afford to be constantly buying random crafting materials from the auction house. Yes pairing a crafting profession with it's gathering profession helps a lot, but that doesn't solve the issue of when you need random items that the other professions provide:
gems and enchanting dust for engineering
cloth bolts and leather for blacksmithing
cloth bolts, herbs, and gems for leatherworking
leather, enchanting dust, and herbs for tailoring
etc

And since low-level crafted items don't usually sell all that well unless they're BiS twink items or popular mogging items, you are not going to make that gold back through the items you craft.

Also: this is a REALLY old thread, and the way professions work at end-game and in MoP and WoD, has changed so drastically that some of the advice in the earlier posts no longer apply to the current state of the game.

It's better to make your own thread with your own questions, so that all the info is current, rather than bumping a thread that hasn't been relevant for almost 4 years. Newbies don't know what info is applicable and what is old, so we try to keep outdated info buried in the depths of the forum archives as much as possible.
Reply Quote
08/02/2011 06:43 AMPosted by Harlan

I miss Harlan.

Smartest. Pumpkin. Evar.
Reply Quote
78 Orc Hunter
04/21/2015 05:51 PMPosted by Jakjak
08/02/2011 06:43 AMPosted by Harlan

I miss Harlan.

Smartest. Pumpkin. Evar.

I understand he had become addicted to Pumpkin Spice and kept getting pie-eyed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]