How can people learn?

22 Goblin Warlock
How can people learn new dungeons when others are unwilling to teach? When I whine about 'solo dungeons' people respond; rightly so, with 'it's an MMO, you need to expect to depend on others for help.'

Ok, fine. However when I ask for help, tips, or say "Never been here before, tips/tricks/traps to worry about?" I get booted.

No matter what level, I've toons from 1-85 and the leet jerks are all the same.

"Be geared and know the fights."

It's bogus. How are people expected to progress when the ones able to help are total jerks?

I've had 7 friends/family quit because of this. I am not threatening such things, because I still have faith in the community. Why? Dunno, like punishment I guess. ;) However, if blizz wants real NOOB customers, they really need to do something about how the experienced players treat the new ones.

A prime example is my pally went from heals to tank. He's 84. I yell in trade "Tank for regular Wrath dungeons, new at it need practice." And I never get any helpful responses.

Hell, event this guy at 20, I was doing randoms and asked a question and got flack for being 'noob'. Well, yeah, really? what gave it away, the level 22 after my name? ppffsstt I had no heirloom gear, nor any other indication I had higher toons. just wanted to see how people treat noobs, and was/am VERY disappointed.

So, back to the ORIGINAL question. How are people expected to learn new content, roles, skills, if the ones that can help refuse to?

Please don't say 'join a guild' the LFD tool was supposed to EASE that, not make it more of a requirement.
85 Undead Rogue
wowhead.com
tankspot.com
wowwiki.com

The internet has much better resources for learning than in game.
95 Night Elf Druid
01/06/2011 8:30 AMPosted by Greendeath
they really need to do something about how the experienced players treat the new ones.
I read up to this point and stopped. Why is it Blizzard's fault that people are acting like pricks? How would Blizzard control peoples behavior in dungeons? This is such a fallacious statement.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
You must have a terrible battlegroup. I have never heard of or seen anyone get booted in a leveling instance for not already knowing the fights. And I've been doing my share of leveling with alts.

I want to believe you're exaggerating.
Edited by Manion on 1/6/2011 8:35 AM PST
85 Night Elf Warrior
Eh you got 84 lvls before endgame content, that's enough time for noob and newb players to learn the ropes.

Also takes some independent research, google "tank specs" or whatnot. Reading the little tooltips on your spells also gives noobies and newbies something to learn.
85 Dwarf Mage
I think that we are gravitating towards the need for a separation of player types beyond PvP, PvE, and RP.

The people who consider themselves "leet" and want only others who consider themselves the same should be on servers that can match them with the same, or tagged somehow to only match them in dungeon finder with the same, and for the rest of us we can enter the LFD with the understanding that if someone asks for help we help them.

I have no problem going in and maybe wiping, or helping someone with fight mechanics. I do however fear the day that I get ANOTHER random group that tell me to go kill myself because my GS is low. (yes it did happen, long ago)
100 Night Elf Druid
We'll if its not Blizzards responsibility who's is it? The Communities? If so how do you propose to combat the "jerk" problem?
85 Tauren Paladin
the feeling is reciprocal. I am extremely experienced and when I try to teach some new players what mistakes they are making and how to avoid boss abilities I get scoffed at and I'm told "I know what im doing OK! ITS LAG THAT KILLED ME I DONT SUCK!". Surreeeee it was lag...
24 Undead Rogue
I mostly agree with you. I know two people who recently started playing and quit before reaching outlands because of the terrible community here. I know you said not to say it, but honestly about the best thing you can do is find and join a guild that doesn't mind teaching people.

It's bad when people demand that everyone know all dungeons and fights even at level 20 something. I suspect those are the same type of people who read game guides and walk-through before playing a single player game and then complain about how short and easy it was.
2 Undead Warrior
01/06/2011 8:34 AMPosted by Manion
You must have a terrible battlegroup.

He does, but that's just because all of North America pulls from the same huge, terrible 'battlegroup' for dungeons since cata was released.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/06/2011 8:40 AMPosted by Putress
You must have a terrible battlegroup.

He does, but that's just because all of North America pulls from the same huge, terrible 'battlegroup' for dungeons since cata was released.
Then why have I never met these people who are kicking for not knowing the fights in SFK and BFD?
85 Gnome Mage
01/06/2011 8:36 AMPosted by Nightfury
We'll if its not Blizzards responsibility who's is it? The Communities? If so how do you propose to combat the "jerk" problem?

The same way you do in real life. Pull up your big girl panties and move on. Jerks will be jerks, they are everywhere, and you should learn to deal with them yourself instead of insisting it is the elusive "someones" responsibility to combat it....

Vote To Kick is one feature. Dropping group and reforming is another. Looking info up and doing research on your own is another. Patience. If you want something from someone else, you should have the patience to wait and find the person who is willing to give it to you, not demand it of someone who doesn't, in actuality, owe you *%#!.

I've learned WoW community mirrors society.... a lot of people really feel entitled to get "something" from "someone" because they think they deserve it, and also feel it's always "someone else" responsibility. <sigh>
10 Tauren Druid
I sincerely find LotRO's "solo instances" (skirmishes) one of it's best aspects. Wanna practice without wasting 4 (or 5 in LotRO) other people's time? Sure!
They are also tuned in such a way that running the group version is much more efficient for gearing up than playing solo, although players can still get pretty much end game ready from just playing solo.
22 Goblin Warlock
Thanks for the responses. However, 'tank spot' can't teach what a real dungeon can. And if people refuse to help others, then Blizzard should make all content soloable so all paying customers can get the same rewards.

It's easy folks. be a better community, or let blizz give away the bling.
Start beating them with a stick until they learn. Then keep beating them with the stick because they fail.
90 Human Warlock
I'm here to have fun, not to teach others the things I learned by just playing the game. Especially when I don't know you. That's not being a jerk, its enjoying my playtime.

That said, my guildies and I will explain fights if someone is new. New and bad aren't the same thing though. Tank in PVP gear? Buh-BYE
Edited by Drattah on 1/6/2011 8:49 AM PST
22 Goblin Warlock
01/06/2011 8:35 AMPosted by Luniara
Eh you got 84 lvls before endgame content, that's enough time for noob and newb players to learn the ropes.

eeehh, what about noob 80, 83, 85? We magically know Cata content when reaching a certain level? Automatically know every Wrath instance after Outland? Get inst-knowledge on Outland dungeons once we clear vanilla?

You response makes no sense.
41 Dwarf Warrior
For low level instances? Just go in and do them without telling them it's your first time. I did that with my tank and never had an issue, even without reading up on the instances at all. Just make sure you know how to play your class and are specced for the role you want to play.

If it's for high level instances, then read up on them and watch the videos. If you're nervous about tanking it, then run it as DPS until you know the instance.

Either way, don't tell the group it's your first time. Just prepare yourself ahead of time and it probably won't be obvious that it's your first time. That's what I do.
100 Night Elf Druid
01/06/2011 8:43 AMPosted by Incantarus
The same way you do in real life. Pull up your big girl panties and move on. Jerks will be jerks, they are everywhere, and you should learn to deal with them yourself instead of insisting it is the elusive "someones" responsibility to combat it....
That's more ignoring the problem than combating it.

Sure you can just /ignore, but that just passes the jerk on to the next person.

Jerks will be jerks, but in real lifer there are most certainly ways you can put them in their place. In wow the average player in a random PUG have no recourse.

Vote To Kick is one feature. Dropping group and reforming is another.
once again a band-aid solution.

Looking info up and doing research on your own is another. Patience.
This helps with the OP's problem, but not jerks.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]