How can people learn?

85 Draenei Shaman
I hate people that kick for that reason. I always explain anything in an instance if someone hasn't seen it before.
01/06/2011 8:31 AMPosted by Polymorpher
wowhead.com
tankspot.com
wowwiki.com

The internet has much better resources for learning than in game.

That's such a BS response. So now every time I get a new expansion I'm supposed to spend the first week sitting around on the internet reading about every battle in every dungeon and memorizing all the details? Hell no.

You learn by doing and if the game is supposed to be the this big social experience everyone says it is then learning from others while doing makes a lot more sense than sitting alone reading websites to learn dungeons.

But people don't want to hear that because it would require them to actually BE social in-game and actually BE patient with people that are new to content and actually BE reasonably courteous to another player. The reason those people went on the internet to read about the instances and stuff in the first place is because they thought they were too leet to ask for help themselves.

I'm sorry, but for the time investment required to actually PLAY this game, I'm not putting even more time into sitting on a website doing nothing and reading about it. I'll go through one or two PUG's until I find somebody that understands that this game is a social experience where you have to interact with other people and learn to work with them.
22 Goblin Warlock
I'm here to have fun, not to teach others the things I learned by just playing the game. Especially when I don't know you. That's not being a jerk, its enjoying my playtime.

So, since people let you learn on THEIR time, you don't think you should repay that?

Of course I am the guy that will see an alliance/horde in trouble with a PVE mob, and stop to help. No matter what faction.

MMO means help others, not out cast them. Anyhoo, that's my rant. Take it, love it, ignore it, or whatever. I really thought a new expansion meant I could learn with others as they learned it. However, people rushed through content, and expect everyone to be their level. Sucks, it really sucks.

90 Human Warlock
01/06/2011 8:53 AMPosted by Greendeath
I'm here to have fun, not to teach others the things I learned by just playing the game. Especially when I don't know you. That's not being a jerk, its enjoying my playtime.

So, since people let you learn on THEIR time, you don't think you should repay that?

Of course I am the guy that will see an alliance/horde in trouble with a PVE mob, and stop to help. No matter what faction.

MMO means help others, not out cast them. Anyhoo, that's my rant. Take it, love it, ignore it, or whatever. I really thought a new expansion meant I could learn with others as they learned it. However, people rushed through content, and expect everyone to be their level. Sucks, it really sucks.

You wanna quote my entire post?

I learned with a group of friends/guildies and we learned together. We were able to do most of the Heroics by adapting mid fight to emerging mechanics, those we could not figure out, we looked up online.
Edited by Drattah on 1/6/2011 8:56 AM PST
22 Goblin Warlock
I'm sorry, but for the time investment required to actually PLAY this game, I'm not putting even more time into sitting on a website doing nothing and reading about it. I'll go through one or two PUG's until I find somebody that understands that this game is a social experience where you have to interact with other people and learn to work with them.

I would start a new toon on your server, and join your guild if I were welcome. we have like minds.
85 Undead Mage
01/06/2011 8:49 AMPosted by Greendeath
Eh you got 84 lvls before endgame content, that's enough time for noob and newb players to learn the ropes.

eeehh, what about noob 80, 83, 85? We magically know Cata content when reaching a certain level? Automatically know every Wrath instance after Outland? Get inst-knowledge on Outland dungeons once we clear vanilla?

You response makes no sense.

Your refusal to see the obvious makes no sense. You completely dismiss outside websites that people offered you. That is how we know the fights. There is sooooo much abundant information available for every single thing in this game that its really frustrating for the rest of us when someone comes here and acts like we should hold their hand all the time.

Do you think there was some magical time of day we all got into dungeons and learned them while you slept?
22 Goblin Warlock
01/06/2011 8:54 AMPosted by Drattah

Nope, your point was clear. You are leet, and have no room for anyone but you. But expect others to find time for you.
83 Undead Mage
most people I have done dungeons with have been pretty cool. the tanks usually ask the group if they have done the dungeon before, and if they know the boss and what to do etc, then tell anyone who doesn't know the boss or dungeon how to go about it. Most people in dungeons I have done also ask before Needing on items, even if they are currently spec'd for the item.
Edited by Brodequin on 1/6/2011 8:57 AM PST
22 Goblin Warlock
01/06/2011 8:55 AMPosted by Bazing
Do you think there was some magical time of day we all got into dungeons and learned them while you slept?

well.. yeah! ;) As I said, reading is one thing, being able to practice what you read is another.

Would you rather your surgeon just read about an operation, or have a college give them some hands on first?

Anyhoo. I just wanted to rant a tad. I've an 85, and 84 that are just sitting around because everytime I try to practice what i've read, or ask for advice, I get chomped at.
Edited by Greendeath on 1/6/2011 8:58 AM PST
90 Human Warlock
01/06/2011 8:56 AMPosted by Greendeath

Nope, your point was clear. You are leet, and have no room for anyone but you. But expect others to find time for you.

Nice, so you took what you wanted from my post to demonize me, but refuse to acknowledge what came after. Stay classy my friend
I've got no problem explaining the fights.
01/06/2011 8:54 AMPosted by Greendeath

I would start a new toon on your server, and join your guild if I were welcome. we have like minds.

You should!! The only trouble is that Quel'Thalas is a Spanish language server, so unless you can speak Spanish then you're probably going to have a rough time there socially lol

But seriously, a lot of the problems I'm hearing about on other servers just don't seem to exist on our little enclave. Then again, we've only been around since 2008 so maybe we haven't learned how to be elitist jerks yet.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Most decent people will have no problem explaining fights. If you have a group of people who are really high on themselves, then there's not much you can do about it.

However, if you're talking about rotation. Then I would recommended EJ. I would also experiment of using hot keys and moving with your mouse. If it's too overwhelming, start with baby steps and hot key one to two abilities.

Starting out with a guild where there are other people like you who are new but also want to improve really helps.
86 Troll Warrior
I honestly dont know why Blizzard hasnt provided more manuals, literature, skirmishes etc ingame for people to learn. Its always been the same: to really learn you have to leave the game, search the web and then come back ingame and try it. Its kinda dumb when you think about it.

22 Goblin Warlock
Anyrate folks. Thanks again. I am gonna fish or something relaxing. Maybe get me a turtle mount. :D

Happy hunting, and thanks again.
90 Tauren Paladin
01/06/2011 8:34 AMPosted by Manion
You must have a terrible battlegroup. I have never heard of or seen anyone get booted in a leveling instance for not already knowing the fights. And I've been doing my share of leveling with alts.

I want to believe you're exaggerating.

While I am leveling this guy I have been booted a few times in dungeons for simply saying "I don't know this dungeon" or "this is my first time in here". Believe it or not it's happening, some people simply don't want to deal with someone that can't fly through a dungeon knowing it like the back of there hand.

Again I am talking about being kicked out before we moved to the first mob, prior to buffs being complete was booted because I didn't know the area.
83 Undead Mage
IMO there isn't really much to learn about dungeons if you are DPS except let the Tank pull mobs and get aggro before you start attacking, and to watch your threat level. If you are a tank or healer, it may be best to start out queuing as DPS instead of Tank or Healer to get familiar with the dungeons and to watch how the tanks and healers play. As far as bosses, like mentioned above check WoW sites or just ask your group if the boss has any certain debuffs or attacks to watch out for.
Edited by Brodequin on 1/6/2011 9:09 AM PST
22 Goblin Warlock
You should!! The only trouble is that Quel'Thalas is a Spanish language server, so unless you can speak Spanish then you're probably going to have a rough time there socially lol

I know enough Spainish to order beer, food, and get slapped. Of course, I can do that in about 6 languages. LOL
85 Undead Rogue
01/06/2011 8:30 AMPosted by Greendeath
Please don't say 'join a guild' the LFD tool was supposed to EASE that, not make it more of a requirement.

If you want to learn dungeons you have 3 avenues.
1) external sources
2) join a g-u-i-l-d.
3) go with f-r-i-e-n-d-s. (The 7 you had that quit would have been a good start)

edited for: too harsh
Edited by Sianyde on 1/6/2011 9:07 AM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]