How can people learn?

90 Worgen Warlock
Might not be having this problem if Blizzard didn't change things in between TBC and Cata and stuck with the formula Cata reimplemented that was in play in TBC. Would probably have a lot less b$tching, less elitist pr$cks and more pewpew .
90 Troll Mage
There are many solutions to this problem. The issue is mainly that you are relying on PuGs for learning these fights. While this is CERTAINLY acceptable, you cannot expect it to happen very frequently at all in PuGs, as the LFD is currently the worst way to go about learning the content.

Might I suggest...

1: Finding a nice guild that will run heroics with you and help you out
2: Making a group of friends on your server that will be able to help you out in the dungeons
3: Doing research on sites to know the encounters before you even do them. While it sounds like too much work for a game, if you are really dedicated to breezing through these heroics, these three options are your best bet.
80 Tauren Paladin
01/06/2011 7:49 PMPosted by Heartfire
In fact, I'd argue that most players are kind, fun-loving, helpful people

I wish they were, but let's be reasonable. This is World of Warcraft. There are a lot of bad apples. Not to say there are no kind people playing -- just that the jerks really seem to outnumber the nice ones.

Maybe, but just like you see on the forums, it's generally the worst of the apples that are the vocal ones.
28 Human Warlock
01/06/2011 7:52 PMPosted by Guges
wowhead.com
tankspot.com
wowwiki.com

The internet has much better resources for learning than in game.

A lot people don't even know those sites exist.

When you need websites to tell you how to play a game, that is bad game design.

The game wasn't developed with the intention to make people seek out these websites to learn the fights though. The game is designed for a group of players to figure them out. People don't want to do that. Too many players don't even want to help or offer advice, because they feel that the newer players want to be "carried". I was under the impression that carrying would be me dragging a level 85 to SFK and letting them kill everything for me, but apparently asking for any assistance also counts.
85 Blood Elf Mage
I can confidently tell you that Wrath of the Lich King created this community, and being able to get upgrades so fast only increases the frustration and agony many of the newer players feel.

I can't say this enough, when gear becomes easy to get (or non-dedicated to earn) to make things easier, players start to expect this out of you. And when you don't deliver, they think your an idiot and should be kicked from the group.

Vanilla did one thing right, and that was make it so if you were an ass, you got no where in this game.
54 Goblin Rogue
01/06/2011 7:49 PMPosted by Heartfire
In fact, I'd argue that most players are kind, fun-loving, helpful people

I wish they were, but let's be reasonable. This is World of Warcraft. There are a lot of bad apples. Not to say there are no kind people playing -- just that the jerks really seem to outnumber the nice ones.

I wouldn't say that, but I would say the jerks are louder.
85 Undead Priest
Many are willing to teach.

Few are willing to learn.

If you really wanted to learn the mechanics, you'd take the ten seconds to go on Wowwiki and look up the fights. You don't because you don't actually want to learn, you want to get carried.

Good day sir.
85 Gnome Warlock
I don't know if it has been said, but a good guild goes a long way towards helping out new players.

I would not just jump at the first guild that spams "4 tabs and cool tabard" but look for one that is looking for new members willing to work to learn their spec and gear up. It doesn't have to be a raiding guild, a leveling guild can get you started and they typically are casual enough that their isn't pressure to be in top raid form as fast as possible.

Know that trial and error has always been the best teacher as far as I'm concerned however.
100 Night Elf Druid
Combat log is impossible to glean any real knowledge from since it's crowded with useless spam.

I consider myself a competent player but have yet to figure out how to make the combat log a useful tool.
83 Dwarf Hunter
01/06/2011 8:31 AMPosted by Polymorpher
wowhead.com
tankspot.com
wowwiki.com

The internet has much better resources for learning than in game.

thread should have been over with this guys post
90 Worgen Warrior
I say that there is not a single encounter in this game that takes longer than 2 minutes to explain.

Now, I also think tanks probably shouldn't be tanking any raid without having prior knowledge and/or experience with the raid. 'Cause raids are hard.
91 Orc Shaman
That's an unfortunate side effect, however you have the internet to do all kinds of research.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]