So You Want To Be A Tank - A Beginner's Guide

85 Dwarf Shaman
Outstanding post. I think this should be a required read for everyone that plays the game, not just those who want to be tanks.

;)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
04/26/2011 09:11 AMPosted by Arette
1 - Instances are not a race. For the love of god, pay attention to the healer's mana pool and how well the healer is managing it. You would be surprised by how often I go through a dungeon like I am running a marathon, with no time to recover mana when I need to or even loot mobs. There were times when a tank wouldn't even wait for me to heal them back to full health before hitting a boss.

LOL Yes... this! Be kind to your healer :) I'll never forget the absolute gratitude I recieved when I stopped before a boss on my DK Tank & said, "healz you ok for mana?" - simple question yes, but we appreciate it SO much that you've taken 2 seconds to look up, see our blue bar is down and asked if we're ok :)

I'll also ask at the start - "I'll give you guys a second to loot, if I'm going too slow, tell me to pick up the pace and I will". Few simple questions, but people appreciate it all the same.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
And wanted to add to the OP - GREAT post, learnt a lot for my DK which I'll try out soon. Thank you for taking the time to write this up! And congrates on the sticky - well deserved!
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Warrior
Great guide man, I look up to you<3.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Thanks for the tips! I just recently hit 85 for the first time and I plan on tanking, very useful start. :)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
Great Post. Keep it up.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Tanking is fun :D
Reply Quote
86 Orc Warrior
I'm having to relearn tanking. Haven't tanked since vanilla when I've been a member of the dreaded DPS group. This guides helped me wrap my head around the mechanics again, thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Yeah...Great guide alot of learnig material for noobs. But lets face the facts. As another long time tanker I can say from exp. Modern WoW has no room for all this skill garbage. If we attempt to tank like this (the right way) we get shat on over and over and over. The remove us for being too slow, the remove us for wanting to LOS, they remove us for not skipping a boss, they remove us for skipping a boss, they remove us for telling them to watch their aoe on next pull, they remove us for not holding agro because we didn't warn them to watch their aoe on next pull...u get the point. Tell me this OP and Blizz for that matter. Who the hell decided that the tank has to be the only person in the whole Fing party responsible for actually knowing how to play correctly and not being an impatient shatchild of whims? Either find a way to make others own up to their end or take our end away. I'm tired of doing all the work and being cussed out by party after party for trying to do their part of the work. If I ignore their parts I watch them die behind me. Where is my good choice? Posting a similar message in a fresh thread.
Edited by Amehyo on 7/11/2011 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Awesome read.

My Death Knight was my first melee class after a long line of boomkins and resto trees. After getting a bit bored with frost DPS I decided to up and try tanking, and it was a huge rush and tons of fun. Definitely looking forward to countless practice runs to hone up my tank skills, and probably multiple more reads through this thread.

Never even though of binding things to scroll wheel either. >_> Hello D&D and Blood Boil binds, haha.
Reply Quote
up thru BC, I felt I was doing a great job at tanking. .barely lost threat.. could hold aggro, despite any mages in group. yet with Wrath , I was lucky to keep ONE mobs attention. I did Devastate, Shockwave and the other threat making attacks, but to very little avail. Thank goodness the group I was in had uber DPS so the mobs died quickly. Any ideas as to why aggro wasn't held? I even asked DPS to wait til I could grab aggro. Granted, i don't use macros, add-ons and yes, I am a clicker, but after reading the first post in this thread, I am considering trying them.
My main concern will be heroics. I have the intention of freezing xp and doing all the cheevos I can in heroics. any advice on keeping threat?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
07/17/2011 03:31 PMPosted by Norfeld
any advice on keeping threat?

I don't know your specific rotation, or the people you're playing with. I don't know if you mark targets, employ CC, or what other factors come into play. So, please take the following with a grain of salt.

1) Get a helmet. (If that hat is just for forum posting, ignore this point).

2) The armory may be bugging, but I don't see any glyphs on you but two majors. Glyph of revenge and shield slam will up your damage, and accordingly your threat. Also, personal choice, replace glyph of sunder armour with cleaving. I hit cleave a lot more than devastate.

3) I don't think 2 points in the safeguard talent is doing you any favours. I can't imagine who you're using intervene on in a 5 man. Drop two points into Heavy Repercussions. If you mark the main kill target with a skull, and hit shield block while you're charging at the pack, by the time you land your first shield slam it is going to do MONSTER damage, which means monster threat. Your party will be hard pressed to peel it off you.

4) Learn to keybind. And if you're a keyboard turner, stop it. Like, for reals. No matter how fast you click, you'll never be able to charge, shield block, and spell reflect simultaneously, and that's something that helps with survivability and threat.

5) Mark the main target. Always. I'm used to be so compulsive about marking a skull that when I was soloing content, I'd mark a skull. One player, one boss, and it's got a skull. OCD ftw.

6) Do the dungeon quests for all northrend dungeons. At your level I think that's Nexus, UtK, AN and OK. That should be 5+ pieces of solid tanking gear. Do each of the dungeon quests as you go.

7) Armour kits are your friend. This isn't at threat thing, just a tip. A lot of people forget that 5 of those equals a nice chunk of health.

So, that's all I could think of off the top of my head. I hope it helps. Good luck, and have fun!

ps: This is likely to be my last bit of input on this thread, as I've cancelled my subscription. I may be back some day, but I somehow doubt it. Good tanking!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Great guide, I'm sad to see that you're quitting, Gruklaar. :(
Enjoy whatever you've moved on to, be it another game, or just a life that's growing steadily busier.
Reply Quote
39 Blood Elf Warrior
ty very helpful i have been tanking awhile and like you said its always good to learn new tricks and tips.
Reply Quote
i read the thread (amazing advice by the way) and wanted to know how exactly do i create the macros, like what do i type in. i know how to create one, but just need the info on how to code them correctly.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
It mostly is preference. It has been commonly broken down to;

Warriors - Have a lot of movement
Paladins - Have a lot of utility
DKs - Lots of cooldowns and self healing
Druids - Sponges

Thats an unfair assessment of the feral tank and it leads me to believe you don't know anything about the class.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
This is a very impressive guide, thanks for posting this.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I only tried tanking a couple times but never really grew the confidence to become a full-time tank. It's quite intimating a role especially as a newbie to tanking as the chances of wiping is there. I think I should get some tanking gear and run some dungeons soon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]