Hit/Exp a must?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello, i am a fairly new tank.

I would like some input on the status of my gear as well as any other advice regarding gearing and obtaining the hit/exp caps.

Thank you!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Your not going be hitting those caps without sacrificing a deal of mitigation/avoidance in lower then 359 gear imo but thats just me. BTW I fail hard!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i think grabbing some threat and then popping divine protection when you end up picking up like 2 or more mobs during an heroic would be ok to have less avoidance. If you cant hit the mob it may get a bit difficult eh?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't worry about hitpertise.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Expertise soft cap is 26, hard cap is...uh, 56 IIRC. Hit's 8% like everybody else. You'll want those caps ASAP, but not at the (explicit) cost of avoidance. Between those stats alone, you want to prioritize expertise until soft cap, then hit, then expertise until hard cap.

Remember, not dying is important to a tank's job and so is minimizing damage, but neither of those jobs matter if you can't hold aggro in the first place and/or your threat ceiling is so low the DPS can't kill a mob before the healer runs OOM. Hit and expertise raise your threat ceiling, ergo they're of extreme importance in tanking.

Now, if your DPS is going all-out and not close to your threat ceiling or your healer can't manage your incoming damage, sure you want to stack more avoidance. Otherwise, stick to maximizing threat first and foremost, and that means expertise and hit.
Edited by Sarannah on 1/8/2011 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
No, hit and exp are worthless stats for a tank currently. Glad I could help.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
thank you for your input.

So what are the round about numbers that a tank should have in avoidance?

If you would armory me, and give me some feedback...that would be a great help.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
For T11 Raids minimum you're going to want to sit at is:

150k HP
11% Dodge~
11% parry~
51% Block~

That's unbuffed obviously. It's pretty easy to do with all 346 and your rep epics + enchants + gems. You should reforge out of EXP/HIT. I'm sitting at I think 16 EXP and 2% hit. My dps on our last magmaw was around 16-19k each dps, had no issues, closest dps was about 55% behind me. Obviously you have a hunter or rogue MD/Tricks you respectively. The first 10 seconds are always hairy no matter your exp/hit due to 0 vengeance. After that 10 seconds threat is such a joke you can just WoG all day to help your heals ( and you should ).

Keep in mind I hold the thought that mastery is actually of less value than dodge even accounting for DR due to a dodge being a 100% mitigation while mastery only allows for a block. You'll notice the majority of tanks breaking ilvl 360-70 are all reforged into maximum dodge.
Edited by Travel on 1/8/2011 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The reason a lot of people like mastery is that, yes, Dodge is 100% as opposed to 40%, but you can block 1 in 2 attacks as opposed to 1 in 9. Once you reach 102.4, you should stop stacking mastery, because at that point, you will never take a full melee hit and Avoidance becomes worth more. Until then, there isn't much point in worrying about Hit/Exp, and hitting the hard cap is unrealistic unless you sacrifice much of your survivability.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i took some advice and changed a few things around, and also got some upgrades.

Looking at my stats im still kinda low on avoidance i believe...

Would this suffice for initial raiding?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
01/08/2011 12:19 AMPosted by Ampicillin
Hello, i am a fairly new tank.

I would like some input on the status of my gear as well as any other advice regarding gearing and obtaining the hit/exp caps.

Thank you!

Hi!
Check my gear guide
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1827524118
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]