Does Blizzard store accept prepaid VISA?

85 Night Elf Hunter
I know that Blizzard won't accept it for a subscription, but I am using Paypal for that.

My problem however is regarding the purchase of Wrath+Cata - I already have Standard+BC. I will get a handsome 15% discount if I can purchase it from here, otherwise I am stuck with:

- paying the full $80
- plus using a not so reliable vendor
- plus still getting only the key (despite paying extra).

The last thing I want is to be upgrade my account and pay $80 and then find sometime later that I have been banned for 'using a stolen key'.

And if it doesn't accept prepaid VISA or a verified Paypal acount, then all I can say is that that is very disappointing and unreasonable. If you can use Paypal for subscriptions, surely you could also use it for a one time purchase.

Any alternative methods of buying them reliably would be welcome in that case.

BTW, I cannot use my good friend's CC as it won't be accepted because of country restrictions. I will not ask for his CC info for security reasons.

The last alternative would be to ask a friend in the US to do this for me, but I am not sure if they would be willing to reveal their CC info to Blizzard for my sake.
Edited by Ecthrund on 1/7/2011 3:11 AM PST
85 Goblin Shaman
You can buy it from the store without PayPal if you want... And you can use them for subs...
80 Gnome Mage
Ecthrund, as I understand it, some prepaid VISA cards are accepted and some aren't.

The deciding factor seems to be whether it can be "registered" or not.

In essence, if you have an actual "normal" VISA card, the records behind it include your zip code. So if, once you receive the pre-paid card, you can register it -- which will assign it a zip code to it -- then it will work. Otherwise, no.

So...........since you do have a friend in the US, perhaps what you could do would be to give him the money (via PayPal if you like) and have him go buy you a pre-paid VISA for that amount. Make sure he knows that it has to be the kind that can be registered. Not sure they have zip codes where you are (probably not huh) so he could maybe register the card in his name.

Then he could contact you (preferably by phone or Skype or whatever) and give you the card number, billing address & zip code, etc. (And don't forget that little 3-digit authentication number on the back.)

That way, he wouldn't have to give you his actual credit card number, but you'd have a valid VISA number to buy the game.

I suggest doing this by phone because e-mail isn't secure, so it's never a good idea to put a credit card or bank number in an e-mail.

Or......

if you need the US version of the game, you could PayPal him the money, have him buy the expansion, you download the expansion and then just have him give you the CD key from the one he bought.

Here's a website I found about it:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/gift_card_how.html
Edited by Tinkrbelle on 1/7/2011 4:12 AM PST
85 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you very much for your help - the last option looks particularly, if he has a paypal account.

But I still feel that it is very unreasonable for Blizzad store to not accept my VISA cards for one time purchases. Not for subscription, fine, but what is the harm in accepting it for digital purchase of games and time cards? Maybe Blizzard thinks it has enough customers and it doesn't need more from a lot of countries outside its "list" or maybe it just hasn't woken up to the new payment methods that even small stores accept.

If this works out, great. I am not willing to risk buying keys from someone who is also selling gold and who knows, maybe even hacking accounts. Otherwise I have already my card successfully at another MMO site and if that game appeals to me, I will shift to it. At least they will treat me better.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Look on the back of your prepaid visa and see if there is a website or phone number, where you can register it too you. If you can't then use it for something else, and buy one that does.
The other thing you need to have a bit more money on it the you need to buy the game. The Blizzard store need to be able to apply a $1.00 ping to card to verify it is active. If you don't have enough room on the card to account for the extra $1.00 or the purchase will not go through. The card company will later refund that $1.00 to the card. You also should make sure to take the exchange rate in to account when buying the card as well.
85 Night Elf Hunter
I have already used the card for nearly $200 worth of purchase at other online stores. Its only Blizzard that refuses to accept it for any purchase. The card has enough balance for Blizzard to ping it a lot if only Blizzard were to try it ;)

I think the issue may be it being an international card, which Blizzard doesn't register. And I understand why it won't register it for subscriptions, but I can't understand why it won't accept it for a one time payment for digital items. I mean - I want to buy a 60 day time card or the expansions digitally delivered to me email, then what is the problem?

And no other legitimate site seems to sell digital versions of WoW games and cards, perhaps because Blizzard doesn't allow it. I would happily buy it from Amazon, but it would charge me $9 extra as international delivery charges. And there might be import fees too! So I hope you can see why I don't want to do that. And I don't want to use the questionable sellers, who will happily deliver the key to me at normal prices, but what happens if they actually sell me a key stolen from Walmart or something? I will get banned and lose everything WoW.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Anyone that accepts visa (or mastercard) will accept your visa (or mastercard) prepaid. Just make sure to add an additional dollar to the total because when credit cards are used online, they are charged 1.00 to first check and see if the credit account is open.

This $1.00 charge takes about a month to come back to the account. Without adding this extra dollar your order will bounce, because there's not enough for the total + the hidden 1.00 charge.

Also, if you're having problems purchasing at any website (including blizzard's), all prepaid card companies have a website where you can log onto, and add your name and home address to the card. Some businesses check if the home address matches the one tied to your card. It's easy and free. The web address is located on the back of your card.
Edited by Xamire on 1/7/2011 10:41 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/07/2011 10:19 AMPosted by Ecthrund
I have already used the card for nearly $200 worth of purchase at other online stores. Its only Blizzard that refuses to accept it for any purchase. The card has enough balance for Blizzard to ping it a lot if only Blizzard were to try it ;)

I think the issue may be it being an international card, which Blizzard doesn't register. And I understand why it won't register it for subscriptions, but I can't understand why it won't accept it for a one time payment for digital items. I mean - I want to buy a 60 day time card or the expansions digitally delivered to me email, then what is the problem?

And no other legitimate site seems to sell digital versions of WoW games and cards, perhaps because Blizzard doesn't allow it. I would happily buy it from Amazon, but it would charge me $9 extra as international delivery charges. And there might be import fees too! So I hope you can see why I don't want to do that. And I don't want to use the questionable sellers, who will happily deliver the key to me at normal prices, but what happens if they actually sell me a key stolen from Walmart or something? I will get banned and lose everything WoW.

Read what I wrote about adding your address (the one you enter during checkout - or that's tied to your account) to your actual card via the prepaid CC website. It's free to do this, and is usually the source of that problem.
85 Night Elf Hunter
In my earlier post, I have mentioned that another MMO site accepted my CC. They specifically mention that the address entered by me should match the address on file with the company, so obviously the card passes address verifications.
Blizzard Employee
Prepaid credit cards, international or not, i'm afraid are not officially supported for both subscriptions and online purchases, Ecthrund.

Make sure your card is properly registered. As Xamire has pointed out, most cards can be registered online. If you are still unable to make a purchase, you may wish to get in contact with our billing and account services team directly. While there is no guarantee that the card will go through, they can initiate the transaction over the phone.

Account & Technical Services
Assists with: billing issues, password recovery, paid services, subscriptions, payment issues, account management, etc

Hours: 7 AM to 8 PM Pacific Time

By Phone:
Calling from USA or Canada: 1-800-592-5499
Calling from Australia: 1-800-041-378
Edited by Roraks on 1/7/2011 10:58 AM PST
85 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you very much for that information. I will see what I can do.

However, I would like to point out that IMHO:

- While not accepting them for subscriptions is fine, not accepting prepaid cards etc for one time digital purchases on the Blizzard store is unreasonable. Even small online stores do it.

- Accepting verified Paypal accounts for subscriptions is a good move, but it seems unreasonable to not accept the same for Blizzard store purchases!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me :)

PS. I found some vendors who are selling the boxed game locally. But they are charging $50-$60 EACH for Wrath and Cataclyasm! And that is when usually PC games are available here for $20 when brand new. I found Mass Effect 2 deluxe for $20 just now!
Edited by Ecthrund on 1/7/2011 11:08 AM PST
100 Blood Elf Warlock
See but the thing is this, Blizzard's system (in fact no system) can tell between what is a prepaid card and what isn't a prepaid card. They are all processed the same way by the card processer. So there is something other then the fact that it is a prepaid card that is the problem here.

It is more then likely the location the card is from. As a card accepter Blizzard has the right to not support certain regions, this could very well be what is going on here. Again it has nothing to do with the fact that it is a prepaid card.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Yes, I guess that is the reason. Anyway, I am going to ask a friend to try and use his CC first as it is a very reputed one. If that fails, I will have problems. I may have to either call my US friends or Blizzard Account Support.

Any idea how much time such a call might take? It will be an international call, so any charges above 10 min would probably be too much.
85 Tauren Death Knight
Ok, i'm to lazy to read the whole thing, but i read the first sentence and have something to say about it. :P

My subscription is payed for with a prepaid Visa >.<
85 Night Elf Hunter
Well then the location is the culprit...thanks! :)
85 Human Paladin
01/07/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Scüba
See but the thing is this, Blizzard's system (in fact no system) can tell between what is a prepaid card and what isn't a prepaid card. They are all processed the same way by the card processer. So there is something other then the fact that it is a prepaid card that is the problem here.

It is more then likely the location the card is from. As a card accepter Blizzard has the right to not support certain regions, this could very well be what is going on here. Again it has nothing to do with the fact that it is a prepaid card.

As a prepaid visa user myself I have had issues in the past and between talking to Blizzard's Billing, Visa's customer service and another site that I was having issues with, I found that your statement is flawed. The company has to register with Visa to be able to do transactions on prepaid cards, after that the process is very similar, but not exactly the same - the difference is in the back end so those who just run the cards dont ever really see the difference. Anyhow, just thought I'd point that out.

To the OP and others wondering: the Blizzard Store does accept prepaid Visa cards as long as they're registered - and just a word of advice, after registering your card set it on the desk and forget about it for a day or so. If you dont you could run into the issue that I had where the card wasn't 'activated' for online purchases and I attempted the card one too many times while waiting - the card got blocked on Blizzard's end and I had to call Billing to get it fixed.

Cheers
100 Blood Elf Warlock
01/07/2011 12:53 PMPosted by Schwarzkopf
As a prepaid visa user myself I have had issues in the past and between talking to Blizzard's Billing, Visa's customer service and another site that I was having issues with, I found that your statement is flawed. The company has to register with Visa to be able to do transactions on prepaid cards, after that the process is very similar, but not exactly the same - the difference is in the back end so those who just run the cards dont ever really see the difference. Anyhow, just thought I'd point that out.

I work in the industry, I know how cards work. What you just said is exactly what I was saying. If Blizzard accepts ANY prepaid cards then there is no way that the system can tell it from a regular card. Blizzard accepts prepaid cards so Blizzard is not able to deny a payment because it is a prepaid card. In other words it's either you accept them all you don't accept them at all.

Blizzard does not see the difference in the cards because they are the ones running the card, they have no control over the back end, that is all done by Visa (or whomever the issuer of the card is). If the card is not going through then the problem is not because it is a prepaid card and lies elsewhere.

This was indeed the case with the OP who came back to verify that it was due to location.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Lol, now my cell provider won't allow me to make ISD calls! I am fed up with this, but thanks for your help guys :)

I already made up my mind and executed. I have invested too much money and time to leave this game without playing it fully. I will just have to trust my US acquaintances.

EDIT: Upgraded to Wrath.
Edited by Ecthrund on 1/7/2011 3:29 PM PST
75 Undead Warlock
can someone plz tell me where i can buy a subsription thing with the credit cads so i can reedem my account
This topic has expired. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]