Where's the RP?! - A Concise Guide

85 Troll Rogue
Whether you're new to the server, returning from a break, or you're a veteran player who's simply fallen out of the loop, it's all to easy to wonder where the hell the RP is on Emerald Dream. Here are a few simple steps you can take to get involved in the scene:

STEP ONE: Join an RP channel.

Alliance: /join LFRP
This channel is for meeting other roleplayers, organizing impromptu RP gatherings, working out storylines, getting advice... all that good stuff. Talk in-character if you feel like it.

Horde: /join RP
This channel is generally "In Character" but can also be used for coordinating things OOC. It's best to use ((OOC brackets)) to speak out-of-character in the RP channel.

STEP TWO: Instigate!

If you just stand around looking mysterious, you're not likely to be approached by roleplayers. You need to take the initiative and START conversations in-character.

You can spot other roleplayers by installing an RP add-on, by looking for people who are in known RP guilds, or just by talking to people completely at random and hoping for the best. You'd be surprised how effective that actually is!

There are a few "hot spots" where roleplayers tend to gather, such as taverns in the major cities, but really RP happens wherever you MAKE it happen, so don't be shy!

STEP THREE: Attend some events!

Both factions have RP guilds that throw events both large and small on a regular basis. Sometimes there are even cross-faction RP-PvP events!

Keep an eye on the forums or the RP channels to see who's planning something. Show up, make some new friends, and see what it's all about.

STEP FOUR: Join an RP guild.

It's true that RP on this server isn't as out-in-the-open as it is on, say, Moon Guard. You will occasionally see people just roleplaying out in the street, but most of the server's RP is centered around the guilds.

There are two different sticky threads listing active guilds on the server who are open to new members, both of which single out the guilds that focus on RP:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1074098449
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1074378330

The absolute best way to stay in the loop is to be in one of these guilds. It's impossible to say which guild is right for you, but if you spend some time talking to their members, you can get an idea of whether they fit your play style.

A common complaint about RP on this server is that we're cliquish and aloof and don't talk to anybody outside our guilds. It may seem this way from the outside, but the truth is that most of the RP is simply organized around the guild system for the sake of convenience. There is actually a lot of effort made to coordinate RP between guilds and to include stragglers, but we're only human and we don't know you want to get involved unless you talk to us.

If you follow these basic steps, it shouldn't be difficult to get yourself plugged into the RP scene, no matter what your level of experience with RP or with the server. Best of luck!
Edited by Abotu on 1/11/2011 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Other suggestions are encouraged!

01/10/2011 8:15 PMPosted by Rasek
I always try to invite people to RP events who are unguilded, or in non-RP guilds through the calendar. I cannot encourage using the calendar enough, especially if you're scatter-brained like I am.

And the hotspot in Orgrimmar seems to be the Wyvern's Tail tavern in the Valley of Honor, despite the quest there.

01/10/2011 10:22 PMPosted by Zularimm
Under the "Attend Some Events" first. One thing that I've noticed was a problem when BMT was having a wave of new recruits I found that I had to manually invite them to already existing events. One tip I would include is to seek out officers of whichever guild is hosting the event(ie through armory) and get calendar invites. Most events nowadays have some sort of calendar event and a lot of times people forget to invite to the calendar event despite totally wanting that person in on the fun and giving them the event's info.

A few suggested RP add-ons:
01/11/2011 12:30 AMPosted by Alasera
TotalRP2
MyRoleplay
FlagRSP2
Edited by Abotu on 1/11/2011 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
((Wonderful points Abotu.))
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
(( thanks, Abotu!

The quest in The Wyvern's Tail adds some character :) ))
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Great job, Abotu. Some very useful and positive suggestions.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Some suggestions for additions:

Under the "Attend Some Events" first. One thing that I've noticed was a problem when BMT was having a wave of new recruits I found that I had to manually invite them to already existing events. One tip I would include is to seek out officers of whichever guild is hosting the event(ie through armory) and get calendar invites. Most events nowadays have some sort of calendar event and a lot of times people forget to invite to the calendar event despite totally wanting that person in on the fun and giving them the event's info.

Under the "Find an RP Guild!" Section I think a link to the stickied thread specifically for that purpose. Makes for more interconnectivity and ease of navigation.

Will add as I think of stuff.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Good suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming. I will give this a little time before I start editing stuff into the original posts, in case people want to expand on things, but I promise I'm not ignoring you.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
isnt there addons also which lets you have your story and also tell other RPers that you rp?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Deleted to avoid disruption to the topic at hand.

My apologie.
Edited by Nynieve on 1/11/2011 2:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
GHI is pretty good for rp. I use it alot :D

EDIT: But in conflicts with total rp 2 since it's outdated. The bright side is total rp2 does everything ghi can do =D
Edited by Ravenhul on 1/11/2011 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]